Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever look around Target and Walmart? They have the same merchandise but IN GENERAL the people and the clothes they wear look completely different.

Shoppers at Target are more attractive and fashionable and Walmart..... I think this website says it all:

Funny Pictures at WalMart People Of Walmart Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart
I dont think anything compares to Walmart. People who shop at Target are often the same people you'll find shopping at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales. The Walmart crowd are a special breed.

I dont really agree with what another poster said about the people who live in the location of the Walmarts in those funny pictures. I really think its the Walmart itself that attracts those folks no matter the location.

For example, I've been to two Walmarts in my life. One in West Hills, CA which is 8 minutes away on the street from the Kardashian/Rich people's enclave of Calabasas, and 15 minutes from Malibu. The other (which has since closed down I think) is 15 minutes away from where I live (I live in Encino where single family homes START at $1.5 million). BOTH locations you will find the SAME KIND OF PEOPLE you see in those funny Walmart photos. Its crazy. I think "Where did these people come from?" because you NEVER seem those types at any other area in the same location, its like they just materialize in Walmart.

You cannot compare ANY other store to Walmart.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I dont think anything compares to Walmart. People who shop at Target are often the same people you'll find shopping at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales. The Walmart crowd are a special breed.

I dont really agree with what another poster said about the people who live in the location of the Walmarts in those funny pictures. I really think its the Walmart itself that attracts those folks no matter the location.

For example, I've been to two Walmarts in my life. One in West Hills, CA which is 8 minutes away on the street from the Kardashian/Rich people's enclave of Calabasas, and 15 minutes from Malibu. The other (which has since closed down I think) is 15 minutes away from where I live (I live in Encino where single family homes START at $1.5 million). BOTH locations you will find the SAME KIND OF PEOPLE you see in those funny Walmart photos. Its crazy. I think "Where did these people come from?" because you NEVER seem those types at any other area in the same location, its like they just materialize in Walmart.

You cannot compare ANY other store to Walmart.

HA you've been to "two" walmarts and you are an expert? I don't think so. Maybe at your walmarts the people are living way beyond their means and that is all they can afford.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 247,266 times
I noticed the same thing. Its pretty much the same thing where they advertise it sells the merchandise for lowest price but there are some differences (basically how they promote, advertise, culture of store, etc).

The only thing I can think of is that Walmart promotes itself as the lowest price anywhere, so it brings out the weird people, people who just roll out of bed and want to keep their pj bottoms on while doing errands, people with weird fashion choices, who look like they need the lowest prices, have weird clothing choices, etc.

But, Target stays classy and may be slightly more (like $1-2 more) with also better clothing than Walmart (who sells clothes where its obvious its cheaper than Target). Target has clothing thats trendy for good price. Etc along those lines.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
HA you've been to "two" walmarts and you are an expert? I don't think so. Maybe at your walmarts the people are living way beyond their means and that is all they can afford.
Ha. You just read my comment and now you are an expert on how the people in my area live way beyond their means? I dont think so. I am just pointing out that even close by such affluent areas here in Los Angeles, you will see people in Walmart who look EXACTLY like those folks you see in the Walmart funny memes. I NEVER see those people in other places around here (Target, the malls, Bookstores, Starbucks, etc.), but I see them in Target. Its amazing.

Oh, I get it. Instead of just reading my comment with an open mind and responding objectively as people should do on message boards, you responded negatively to me because you hold an e-grudge over something I may have mentioned in another post. Thats too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
I noticed the same thing. Its pretty much the same thing where they advertise it sells the merchandise for lowest price but there are some differences (basically how they promote, advertise, culture of store, etc).

The only thing I can think of is that Walmart promotes itself as the lowest price anywhere, so it brings out the weird people, people who just roll out of bed and want to keep their pj bottoms on while doing errands, people with weird fashion choices, who look like they need the lowest prices, have weird clothing choices, etc.

But, Target stays classy and may be slightly more (like $1-2 more) with also better clothing than Walmart (who sells clothes where its obvious its cheaper than Target). Target has clothing thats trendy for good price. Etc along those lines.
Totally agree.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Ha. You just read my comment and now you are an expert on how the people in my area live way beyond their means? I dont think so. I am just pointing out that even close by such affluent areas here in Los Angeles, you will see people in Walmart who look EXACTLY like those folks you see in the Walmart funny memes. I NEVER see those people in other places around here (Target, the malls, Bookstores, Starbucks, etc.), but I see them in Target. Its amazing.

Oh, I get it. Instead of just reading my comment with an open mind and responding objectively as people should do on message boards, you responded negatively to me because you hold an e-grudge over something I may have mentioned in another post. Thats too bad.

An e-grudge. Really you place too much importance on yourself. I don't remember any of your posts. Your name is familiar but that is all.

"You just read my comment and now you are an expert on how the people in my area live way beyond their means?"

As for that I said "maybe" not a definitive.

Anyway…Target shoppers still wear jeans and tees just like walmart shoppers.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:32 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I traveled the country for 3 1/2 years in an rv and been to numerous Walmarts and most of them are fine. Very few were unclean and I've never seen people in them like the ones that are posted on the internet. I have seen more middle aged women trying ot look young in the more upscale malls though As for Targets there are a lot less of them and the ones I have been in usually have hardly any people. I think they are clean because there is no traffic flow, lol.

I will pick Walmart over Target any day for convenience and price. And mostly I see people in jeans and t's or sweaters.

I've been a Walmart cashier going on 7 years now and when I travel I like to hit stores wherever I go just to see what they are like. And their associates. It's rare to find one that is really trashed and then it sometimes depends on the time of day too. I know in my own store it's beautiful in the mornings. Clean, well stocked and ready to go. By 2 PM and hundreds of people coming through it can look messy. I have yet to see the things other people say they see at Walmart stores, although I'm pretty sure it DOES happen or there wouldn't be a website! lol I was thinking the same thing about Target, as I read through the thread. If there's hardly anyone in the store it's not going to get trashed. I haven't been to Target in years but that's only because the nearest one is 50 miles and I just don't get over there.

My store is the only Walmart in a 50 mile radius so we get just about everybody in the Valley in the store. We have our homeless but they don't solicit anywhere near the doorways or in the parking lot and very few of them. We have our welfare people, our regular blue collar folks, the more affluent and the many seniors who have retired here. We are also a fairly major tourist area so get a ton of people from other places. I don't see the people other people claim to see and I don't see all that much negativity or rudeness from either customers or associates.

It's an incredibly busy store but somehow we manage to keep it presentable enough. And our associates are friendly and helpful. A few, not so much, but for the most part, yes. As a cashier I can take care of around 150 +/- customers a day and I often wonder just how many tons of food and other items I scan and bag in a day/week/month. By late in my shift I might not be quite so 'up and bubbly' either, but I try. lol Some people just don't have the personality to deal with the public and it shows.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It looks to me like the same people in Walmart as in Target. Same cars in the parking lot.

Actually, literally the same shoppers. I know plenty of people who shop at both places. In fact, if you skim off the bottom layer, those who look poverty, it is the same shoppers in Costco.

Grocery shoppers in the local Safeway look better dressed. If they can afford to pay twice the price for their groceries, I guess they can also afford nice clothing.

You are correct! We are a small town so have somewhat limited shopping. We have three major grocery chain stores and Walmart. Also a ton of small businesses and other chain stores and restaurants. The same exact people in ALL of them! The people who shop at our Safeway dress the same as they do when they go to Walmart. lol I get sticker shock every time I go into that store so I don't go very often.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I enjoy those "people of Walmart" photo features, but honestly, I have never seen anyone that looks like that in a Walmart.

I wonder if those odd looking people are there at the end of a gay costume parade, or maybe on Halloween?

I never see anyone that looks like that wandering around in town, either, or in any other stores. Wherever they are, they aren't located anywhere near me.

The place to see oddly dressed people is now the airport. Apparently, it is best to be comfy and not worry abut what other people think of you.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I enjoy those "people of Walmart" photo features, but honestly, I have never seen anyone that looks like that in a Walmart.

I wonder if those odd looking people are there at the end of a gay costume parade, or maybe on Halloween?

I never see anyone that looks like that wandering around in town, either, or in any other stores. Wherever they are, they aren't located anywhere near me.

The place to see oddly dressed people is now the airport. Apparently, it is best to be comfy and not worry abut what other people think of you.

I have to admit there WAS one time our store made it to the People of Walmart website and I'm in the picture! A man and woman who were just strange...he had a multi colored GIANT pointy Mohawk hairstyle, wore 'weird' clothes and both had on tons of makeup. It's been a long time ago so I can't really explain but another customer thought they were worth a shot and took the pic.. Because I was the cashier I ended up in the pic but most of my face was hidden by a sign at the register. It was directly across from Customer Service and my friend who worked there is also in the pic.. We had a good laugh. Otherwise I never see people like that in our store.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I avoid both Target and Walmart. Can't remember the last time I was in either, but then I probably blocked the memory out of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.