Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
When I was in high school I learned the smart thing to do is to check out the "cheaper" stores first and then work your way up. I can't count the number of times I have found a diamond in the rough.
I was taught to look first at the high end to see what quality looked (and felt) like, then move downward to your price range.

Either way, I've certainly found acceptable casual wear at both Target and Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart also has better tires than Target. Oh, right, Target doesn't carry tires. And other things that Wal-Mart carries.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was taught to look first at the high end to see what quality looked (and felt) like, then move downward to your price range.

Either way, I've certainly found acceptable casual wear at both Target and Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart also has better tires than Target. Oh, right, Target doesn't carry tires. And other things that Wal-Mart carries.
Bada Bing!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And Target has lower quality merchandise than any of the former regional stores where the working class and poor also shopped. Of course most of that stuff was made in USA or Japan. Before that, my parents who were not wealthy at all shopped in beautiful local and regional stores and were waited on hand and foot. So to consider that Target is so classy, it is just a crack-up, and also sad as to what our standards have become. Target is what the regional stores were in their descent period being consumed by national chains, some of which also went out of business. Walmart was better when they came in and took over, then went even more down hill. Walmart is below what the five and dime used to be. Target vs. Walmart is like junkyard vs. dump.
I agree. Target was certainly not considered "upscale" in any way in the past...I guess not until they got something a tiny bit further downscale for people who were not upscale to compare themselves to. Target was perhaps neck-and-neck with K-Mart (formerly Kresge), and both were inferior to Sears, Montgomery Ward, and JC Penney.

One guy's "junk" is inferior to another man's "junque." The battle for the next-to-the-bottom rung.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I learned what quality looked and felt like early on......didn't need to repeat the process on every shopping trip.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM

121 posts, read 164,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't get why anyone would want to buy groceries at Walmart, or Target for that matter?
When they added groceries to my local Target store, I was shopping there regularly for their frozen Alaskan Sockeye Salmon and Thousand Hills Grassfed ground beef patties. They were really high quality and the best part was that the filets and grassfed beef patties were individually vacuum sealed, so I could keep it in the freezer and just thaw out one serving at a time.

The price for the salmon increased and is now about what it is at Costco, and unfortunately they stopped carrying the grassfed ground beef, which is a huge disappointment for me.

So now, about the only thing I occasionally buy there is Amy's frozen rice mac and cheese.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
I wish we had a super Target here like my daughter has....great produce and other foods....I shop at the
super Walmart we have here, it's okay but even our Target is nicer (and we go to the newer nicer Walmart
in a good area)....yeah, I've seen more scary people at Walmart than Target or Safeway.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever look around Target and Walmart? They have the same merchandise but IN GENERAL the people and the clothes they wear look completely different.

Shoppers at Target are more attractive and fashionable and Walmart..... I think this website says it all:

Funny Pictures at WalMart People Of Walmart Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart
Because in the past 10 years Target has partnered with designers to raise their status.

That's why they look more fashionable at Target than at WalMart.

When, and if WalMart partners with a designer to bring exclusive designs to their store they may see the clientele change.

But don't hold your breath, WalMart has less "fashion" status than Target.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because in the past 10 years Target has partnered with designers to raise their status.

That's why they look more fashionable at Target than at WalMart.

When, and if WalMart partners with a designer to bring exclusive designs to their store they may see the clientele change.

But don't hold your breath, WalMart has less "fashion" status than Target.
I purchased a special collection item from walmart:

Shauna Miller, Penny Chic Founder, Reveals The Power Of Visualization And How It Led To Her Success

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
WALMART has everything, except nice clothes, TARGET sells nicer clothing

but for automotive, home & garden , food, ammo, Walmart is much better, more convenient

plus Walmart has better service, return policy, business hours,many locations,

when I need something I can always depend on Walmart for my needs, early in the morning or late at night, I know Walmart will be open for business

the reason you probably see more of the unusual looking people at Walmart is because everybody shops there, so your seeing a large cross section of different types of people
What Walmarts do you shop at?

Every Walmart I've been too in a huge huge major city has horrible service. You have manager looking people walking around empty handed and employees walking around looking unproductive yet 4 lanes open ONLY with like 10 people in each with a basket stacked HIGH with stuff. A good few still don't have U-Scan/Express.

When I did I'd take my 3 items to electronics and check out but that's stupid because it's Walmart which equals thievery. People are always shoplifting at Walmart more than any place.

Target isn't Speedy on checking out but I don't have to dodge people's bas a$$ kids ducking through lanes either.

Walmart is definitely the night to Target's day. Shoot I'll spend $2 more and go to Walgreens over Walmart.

I'll definitely buy Target clothes then go shopping in the store in those clothes. Walmart clothes look and are cheap. I have Target blouse form like 5 years ago that says 100% cotton but the thing's never shrunk and still looks new. Walmart stuff goes from grown woman size to 6 year old size in 2 washing/drying cycles.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
I learned that gas is $3-$4 a gallon, Target is on one side of town; Wal-Mart on the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.