Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,041,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at my local Walmart, which has a full size supermarket. Why? Because....... why should I pay more for the same box of cereal, same loaf of bread, same jar of spaghetti sauce, same pack of toilet paper, same carton of eggs, same bottle of aspirin down the road at a regular grocery store?
The last time I was in Walmart, I did check the price on some frozen dinners that I buy a lot of. They were $2.50. Which is a good price. The local supermarkets charge almost $4.00 for the same thing. But the local Safeway has them on sale for between $1.88 and $2.00 about once a month. I'm pretty sure Walmart can't go lower then that. Even if they did beat that price, I still probably wouldn't shop there. They would practically have to give them away to get my business.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well, Silicon Valley was orchards up until the 80s give or take. And most of the land was undeveloped. Mountain Vuew was considered pretty sleepy until the 90s or so, and really got way more cachet after the dot com boom in terms of office being located there. So mountain view has one if the older Walmarts in the Bay Area, because it was sort of "Timbuktu." (My parents moved to Silicon Valley in the mid 70s, starting in mountain view, then San Jose in the early 80s).
When I moved to Mountain View in the the late 1990s, from what I understand the Walmart was only a few years old. I believe it opened sometime after they redeveloped the San Antonio Shopping Center in the mid 90s. Mountain View was not a sleepy town at that time. Actually the population hasn't changed that much since that time

San Antonio Shopping Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
....Do you suppose the fact that there is no Walmart in the middle of San Francisco, might have something to do with land availability, rather then lack of demand?
Why? Classism and prejudice.

There are two Target stores in San Francisco proper.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,701,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever look around Target and Walmart? They have the same merchandise but IN GENERAL the people and the clothes they wear look completely different.

Shoppers at Target are more attractive and fashionable and Walmart..... I think this website says it all:

Funny Pictures at WalMart People Of Walmart Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart
Target and Walmart don't have the same merchandise.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,701,647 times
Walmart is not cheaper, not always. One prescription I had filled there cost over $80. It was a fraction of that at a local supermarket.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
When I moved to Mountain View in the the late 1990s, from what I understand the Walmart was only a few years old. I believe it opened sometime after they redeveloped the San Antonio Shopping Center in the mid 90s. Mountain View was not a sleepy town at that time. Actually the population hasn't changed that much since that time

San Antonio Shopping Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Walmart typically doesn't invade upscale enclaves. Mountain view ascended in upscale ness over the past 10-15ish years (not that it was a bad place or anything.). It was the height of suburbia....till the 90s tech boom, and then the suburbs had a much higher lev of influence in the business community. This was not the case before 1998ish.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Walmart sells on the impression that they're cheaper but in reality they aren't. Most folks you see at Walmart aren't the type that shop or compare prices online.

Look at the craziness of Black Fridays at Walmart, most of those low-lifes are there for the cheap junk that I threw away years ago.

You checkout at Walmart, the lines are long because so many folks there are paying cash or using a debit instead of credit. That's evident that most people that shop there cannot get credit.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM

19,673 posts, read 12,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Target leans more middle class, while Walmart leans more working class and poor. The middle class is the more fashionable class, and the working class and poor are more about subsistence, sometimes by choice. I've noticed an increase of working class customers at Target and think that's probably because it's been around and is wide spread enough now that they've become comfortable with it. Working-class and poorer types tend to be slower to partake in newer trends, while middle-class and upper-middle class tend to be at the forefront. Walmart has been around a lot longer. Also, Walmart serves rural areas while Target doesn't, and rural types often are not fashionable by choice because of their values, even when they have upper-middle class incomes and even when they're rich. I think it's great that Walmart provides a marketplace where more humble people feel comfortable and not out of place. Everybody is welcome at Walmart.
Not sooo long ago we had regional chain stores in the area, about seven of them, where there were no divisions between working class, middle class, or whatever, they were just stores to buy things and they all carried different brands so you just shopped around for what you needed. There have always been upscale boutique stores for the wealthier or for special purchases, but as far as typical stores that carry a little of everything, no silly divisions based on class.

This is just ridiculous with the T vs. W classism. And Target has lower quality merchandise than any of the former regional stores where the working class and poor also shopped. Of course most of that stuff was made in USA or Japan. Before that, my parents who were not wealthy at all shopped in beautiful local and regional stores and were waited on hand and foot. So to consider that Target is so classy, it is just a crack-up, and also sad as to what our standards have become. Target is what the regional stores were in their descent period being consumed by national chains, some of which also went out of business. Walmart was better when they came in and took over, then went even more down hill. Walmart is below what the five and dime used to be. Target vs. Walmart is like junkyard vs. dump.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,474,376 times
Classy people for all the most expensive quality items Walmart doesn't carry.

I comparison shop, get the best possible deals, have no problems acquiring credit, but pass on it when offered, there are enough people living beyond their means on that dime as it is. I check prices of all fliers and online stores before heading out to shop. I do a lot of my non perishable shopping on line if I know it will be less expensive, shipping cost included in bottom line. I shop a variety of places based on my needs, price points and where I will get the best bang for my buck. Plus you do realize, all you have to do is show the store the other stores lower price and they usually give it to you at that price don't ya? Check each store's policy first though.

Many of my friends and acquaintances, especially in the area I live in, their income levels are varied but more often than not above average, some of them live in homes that rival those on many a design show and they shop both stores and some even shope dollar tree. I'm not any longer in an upper anything income category, but I know it when I see it or hear it. I'm comfortable with those at any level. To me none are better than the other, none more classier than the other based on where they shop how much they can tally on their financial balance sheets. Sad that people think you can garner a person's status or lack of character based on where they shop, what they drive or wear. Those standing in judgment really need to take a look inside and figure out what it is that makes you so uncomfortable with the idea of people not flocking with any one particular herd. I do have some people in my life that are of similar mentality where they haven't any idea what a Walmart or Target has on their shelves and they would think anyone that shops at either store lacks taste, I forgive their sins as well.

There's no other store that sells enemas as cheap as Walmart, I know, I've checked every store in my area and online. I've even talk to the Walmart customer service people to ask if they would put their associate brand on line, no luck, still have to head out to their store for that. So when I'm feeling constipated and need the quickest relief, Walmart stores are most certainly my #! choice. Seems to be a whole lot of constipation going on so = Walmart isle 3 = a little helpful hint from a caring citizen.

As far as mayhem, that's not just a Walmart phenomenon You will find such craziness at most every national big box store. I've yet to witness any such thing in the flesh, maybe because I wouldn't dream of going out to a store on such a date.

Black Friday Target Stampede People Trampled Upon 2010 Buffalo New York - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zBWjlkKDpA

Last edited by TRosa; 02-10-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Classy people for all the most expensive quality items Walmart doesn't carry.

I comparison shop, get the best possible deals, have no problems acquiring credit, but pass on it when offered, there are enough people living beyond their means on that dime as it is. I check prices of all fliers and online stores before heading out to shop. I do a lot of my non perishable shopping on line if I know it will be less expensive, shipping cost included in bottom line. I shop a variety of places based on my needs, price points and where I will get the best bang for my buck. Plus you do realize, all you have to do is show the store the other stores lower price and they usually give it to you at that price don't ya? Check each store's policy first though.

Many of my friends and acquaintances, especially in the area I live in, their income levels are varied but more often than not above average, some of them live in homes that rival those on many a design show. I'm not any longer in an upper anything income category, but I know it when I see it or hear it. I'm comfortable with those at any level. To me none are better than the other, none more classier than the other based on where they shop how much they can tally on their financial balance sheets. Sad that people think you can garner a person's status or lack of character based on where they shop, what they drive or wear. Those standing in judgment really need to take a look inside and figure out what it is that makes you so uncomfortable with the idea of people not flocking with any one particular herd. I do have some people in my life that are of similar mentality where they haven't any idea what a Walmart or Target has on their shelves and they would think anyone that shops at either store lacks taste, I forgive their sins as well.

There's no other store that sells enemas as cheap as Walmart, I know, I've checked every store in my area and online. I've even talk to the Walmart customer service people to ask if they would put their associate brand on line, no luck, still have to head out to their store for that. So when I'm feeling constipated and need the quickest relief, Walmart stores are most certainly my #! choice. Seems to be a whole lot of constipation going on so = Walmart isle 3 = a little helpful hint from a caring citizen.

As far as mayhem, that's not just a Walmart phenomenon You will find such craziness at most every national big box store. I've yet to witness any such thing in the flesh, maybe because I wouldn't dream of going out to a store on such a date.

Black Friday Target Stampede People Trampled Upon 2010 Buffalo New York - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zBWjlkKDpA

Actually those videos look pretty tame for Black Friday. I'd say the videos hold pretty well for Target shoppers. Except for some type of altercation or shoving match in the first video that ended up with a few people on the ground, everybody else is pretty well behaved. I hate to think about what would have happened if that had been a Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.