Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Oh the usual, people have lost their minds.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
One of my friends joked saying how it is funny that we can have a Black president but the thought of a Black Superman on the big screen will drive America into a deep rage.

He had a point because I have noticed that White men have a monopoly on the looks market. Hollywood exclusively gives most of the desirable lead roles such as superhero, superspy, and most roles that we idealize to White males. Some rare exceptions exist (especially with black males) but the most desirable roles are White male dominated. Then you have fashion models who are almost always White males.

From my own observation, I see this play out in real life interactions. I went to a big high school that was very diverse, it had Latinos, Asians, Black people, and White people. Most of the times when it came to voting most attractive male, the winners were always White guys in my 4 years there. To be fair I did go to high school in North Carolina which is a southern state so the White bias is to be expected.

But I have seen differences in how society judges men by their looks. I have known White guys who are attractive that mostly know they are attractive because growing up throughout their lives they had society, women, and everyone telling them they are handsome. They were asked to model most of the times.

On the other hand my friends who are from other races and fairly attractive didn't have those same opportunities, especially being asked to model. The validation they received from society was much less.

Do you believe as time goes on race will start to matter less and American society will treat attractive people from all races how they would normally treat an attractive White person?
Isn't Tyson a successful model? These men look like that are trying to attract men not women. Not all of them are white. MODELS.com's Top 50 Male Models

White men definitely get the best roles. I love English and Australian actors. It is not about race; they are just extraordinary actors. I do not know what it is but these people rock. They are moving art.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I would go to watch almost anything from Christopher Nolan. If he wants to cast a black superman, my butt will be in the seat. My favorite actor by a mile is Denzel Washington. I'm a white male. I don't see the problem. A phenomenal actor that can carry a mediocre movie transcends race. Denzel is awesome because he is Denzel.
I'm not at all sure Denzel Washington is a superior actor to Don Cheadle. Denzel is prettier, though, by American standards.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
When is your flight to India? Good luck with that. The nice East Indian women in India tend to stick with their own Indian men. Those who don't are generally disowned by their family and or entire community for being with a man of another culture, especially if that man is Black, half-Black, etc. If you love Indian women as much as you say you do, you may want to keep this in mind. She will lose her family for being with you, and in some case, she may risk losing her life. The caste system in India is not something you will ever get around.
I've got an Indian acquaintance who "married for love" about three years ago to a woman he met in college. But she was a different caste, so he says it took four years for him to convince his father to allow him to marry her without disowning him.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM

209 posts, read 466,125 times
I love the ladies in all their flavors. Believe it.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
That's your surroundings. You environment. I came up in Black-America and black girls and women were the vast majority. Whites and white women were a small minority. And in such an environment it was black girls and women that judged and set the standards of what's an ideal man to have. And with Black-American women's 70% out of wedlock births... they're fulfilling their fantasies. They bang and chase after a lot of men in prison or in and out of jail.

Black-American women pretty much like anything that's not a male that identified as the combination of black and American. Given I look Puerto Rican to many... if I ran around calling myself Puerto Rican I'd have more Black-American woman coming on to me than you can count. A bit of sigh of disappointment comes out of them when I inform them I'm not Rican but half white--or boring old "black" man is another way of putting it. I remember helping my Mexican co-worker push the car of two, young, Black-American women stranded in the street. As we pushed one of them was running down "no good" black men as no black guy would ever stop to help black women etc. After a while... I informed her I was "black." LMAO.

Sometimes it pays looking like me. As with drunk white men... they begin to run their mouths.

Here's my suggestion to you. Hollar at Black-American women. You'll have no problem. You'll find plenty of them ready to fall to their knees and open wide as your spit falls into their mouths. Tell her you're working on a rap album. She'll be blowing you before night fall. Play up your East Indian back ground... tell them you've got family with mad money back in India. Tell them you don't know what "the bruthas be dissing all these fine black sistas." You'll own the broad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
I think I insinuated the audiences in Latin America are superficial. That people in the world are as they subconsciously correlate racial phenotypes to how much prestige (or lack of) said man or men before them have in society.

Black-American women are far more superficial than White-American women though. Both are superficial. But Black-American women take the cake. And yes... I'm talking even those Black-American women functionally illiterate and on welfare. H*ll, I've met more Black-American women addicted to crack cocaine more judgmental and superficial than working class White-American living in nobody-knows small town USA. The latter typically has a sense of humility to her. The men she dates are working class men in her small, town, some with drinking problems, some good, some not so good, and usually none of the men with no sophisticated sense of urban style you'd expect or hope to see on a Chicagoan downtown.
This is 100% nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
So not true. Maybe the black women you grew up are like that, but I'm not. I've been hit on by Indian men, Asian men(even wow, lol!) and white men, and black men and I still prefer and am mostly attracted to black men. That is who I date. I don't need to date a non-minority man to feel validated about myself as a black woman, and if I do decide to date a man that isn't black, it will be because I like him and nothing more. I think you grew up in a bad area and are using your experiences with those women to come up with you're above post but it's NOT true for every black woman.

I'm so sick of these silly stupid stereotypes being played out by bitter men.
Amen! Those posts were ridiculous. I really hate the black men who just go way out their way to trash talk their "sisters," women who look like their mom, grandma, cousins, aunts whatever ....

Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Bottom line is... sex organs respond to sex organs.

no matter what color shape "so-called race" they are.

Polls are bull crap.

Period, and always they never ask anyone who matters.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
One of my friends joked saying how it is funny that we can have a Black president but the thought of a Black Superman on the big screen will drive America into a deep rage.

He had a point because I have noticed that White men have a monopoly on the looks market. Hollywood exclusively gives most of the desirable lead roles such as superhero, superspy, and most roles that we idealize to White males. Some rare exceptions exist (especially with black males) but the most desirable roles are White male dominated. Then you have fashion models who are almost always White males.

From my own observation, I see this play out in real life interactions. I went to a big high school that was very diverse, it had Latinos, Asians, Black people, and White people. Most of the times when it came to voting most attractive male, the winners were always White guys in my 4 years there. To be fair I did go to high school in North Carolina which is a southern state so the White bias is to be expected.

But I have seen differences in how society judges men by their looks. I have known White guys who are attractive that mostly know they are attractive because growing up throughout their lives they had society, women, and everyone telling them they are handsome. They were asked to model most of the times.

On the other hand my friends who are from other races and fairly attractive didn't have those same opportunities, especially being asked to model. The validation they received from society was much less.

Do you believe as time goes on race will start to matter less and American society will treat attractive people from all races how they would normally treat an attractive White person?
Yes but only because as time goes on, white people in America are going to lose population share while races and ethnicities presently known as "minorities" will swell in population share to the point where they add together to be the majority. Beyond that, I doubt that we're going to see large proportions of any ethnicity preferring people of other ethnicities. Look at how it plays out these days, regardless of population proportions. Whites generally prefer whites (and since whites are the majority, that tends to make them society's preference for "attractive"). Blacks generally prefer blacks. Asians generally prefer Asians. Hispanics generally prefer Hispanics. Inter-ethnic couples are still quite rare, and I don't think that has as much to do with racism as it does people wanting to be matched with others who are as similar as possible to them. I had a friend for many years, a black woman, who started out preferring white men. She dated a bunch of them and just wasn't satisfied. Then she dated a black guy of her same heritage - last I checked, she was still with him after more than three years. It's all about finding someone who is just like you.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
The exotic look is seen as more attractive today than the classic blonde hair blue eyes

Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:

Do you believe as time goes on r ace will start to matter less and American society will treat attractive people from all r aces how they would normally treat an attractive White person?
Attractiveness is completely subjective. Someone you find attractive, I may not find attractive. Period. In terms of concrete items: civil rights, equal opportunity, etc. I am 100% for all races being on a completely level playing field and given all the same opportunities. But when it comes to attractiveness, it is subjective.

It is akin to me saying "do you think eventually, all people will appreciate attractive art from all periods/movements/styles?" or "do you think eventually all people will appreciate all styles of music" or "all styles of movies" or "all foods". The answer is 'most likely no.' Things that are subjective, will always have some people enjoying A, B but not C, some people enjoying A only, some people enjoying C only, some people like A, B, and C, etc.

Biologically, I do not find some people physically attractive. There is nothing wrong with this and it is nothing that "time" will change. It is a biological programming, not societal. Society may control what MODELS, or ACTRESSES, etc. that the media wants to "push" as attractive, but that is different than what an individual person is actually attracted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty