Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
People who speak Hindi, are called Hindi people. It is a collective term for a variety of peoples from India but not equivalent to Hindu people (which is a religious grouping). Not all Hindus speak Hindi and not all who speak Hindi are Hindus.
Which orifice did you pull this from?
What a pile of b.s.
Do you purposely distribute this kind of crap regularly?
And super duh that criminals do not target people who speak a language...the idiot cop meant people from India and did not know how to say that. There are THOUSANDS of languages in India.
That plus the fact that I have met hundreds of people my whole life who do not know the difference between Hindi and Hindu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I've been for mistaken for Amish, a one strapper.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 AM

So are ya Chinese or Japanese? - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
I have told at various times I looked Irish, Jewish, Russian, French, and Greek. My ethnicity is actually third generation Italian.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Which orifice did you pull this from?
What a pile of b.s.
Do you purposely distribute this kind of crap regularly?
And super duh that criminals do not target people who speak a language...the idiot cop meant people from India and did not know how to say that. There are THOUSANDS of languages in India.
That plus the fact that I have met hundreds of people my whole life who do not know the difference between Hindi and Hindu.
Ouch, that's kind of rough, calm down lady. Not everyone is equally smart and people do make mistakes.

I would have corrected his words in a kind and respectful manner mentioning the differences and reason its better to mention Indian instead of Hindi. He would have been happy to learn something new that day, you know.

I had a similar experience with the taxi driver in NYC who mistook my heritage. I explained to him in a kind manner why he was wrong in saying that, and told him the right thing to say. He apologized and thanked me for teaching him new stuff .

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Ouch, that's kind of rough, calm down lady. Not everyone is equally smart and people do make mistakes.

I would have corrected his words in a kind and respectful manner mentioning the differences and reason its better to mention Indian instead of Hindi. He would have been happy to learn something new that day, you know (like the taxi driver in NYC who mistook my heritage).

I saw him yet again a couple days back in Central NJ. He is such a friendly guy .
I did not say anything to the cop.
And you don't know many cops if you think they enjoy being corrected for the sake of "learning."

I am not trying to dog anyone.
You seem so incredulous that people don't know there are all kinds of brown people.
I am just providing examples of that ignorance.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You seem so incredulous that people don't know there are all kinds of brown people.
I am just providing examples of that ignorance.
I agree with the fact that people are ignorant.

But unless you tell them the right thing, they will continue to be ignorant. Do your part, and say the right thing to them. You never know the change it might make within their minds.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I agree with the fact that people are ignorant.

But unless you tell them the right thing, they will continue to be ignorant. Do your part, and say the right thing to them. You never know the change it might make within their minds.
I do tell most people..."No, I am not Mexican. My parents are from India. India? That is a country of over a billion people in Asia. Asia. Asia. It is a continent. No, no, no...not Cherokee. India. The country. Near China and Pakistan. No, I don't own a convenience store. *sigh*"

Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times
^ Reminds me of people who use "Spanish" to refer to Latinos or "Anglos" to refer to white/Caucasians. It somehow sounds proper to those people but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I guess it gets the point across but they should just say Latinos or whites if that's who they mean.

Anyway, to stay on topic:

I don't get mistaken for another ethnicity; the only thing that happens to me is that some people try to address me in the language of my ancestors but I don't understand them. I thought America's melting pot diluted any resemblance I have to Europe.

My husband is from Morocco so as you can guess he gets mistaken for every race and nation.

What I find humorous is that Latinos would mistake my grandpa as one of their own, although he was Irish. He had thick, dark hair and tan skin, so not the stereotypical features, but I didn't think he looked anything other than Irish.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 AM

318 posts, read 639,138 times
I am Bulgarian but nobody can tell I am one just by looking at me because most people probably don't even know what a Bulgarian is. I have been mistaken for being Israeli, Brazilian, Italian, Greek, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty