Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:58 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Like anything else, they go in and out of style. Right now, they seem to be out.
Right. And when they do come back into style, the same people who say how horrid they are will be wearing them and singing their praises. It's the way of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
Try on a pair of both and see which looks better on you. To me, it's more a matter of taste rather than style.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,327 times
I have a pair of tan pleated pants that I got at a thrift store. There were lots of pleated pants on the rack but no flat fronts in the size and color I wanted. I guess everybody donated their pleated pants when the fashion changed. While I was there I heard a father telling his son not to get pleated pants. I've heard other negative comments about them from time to time. What finally prompted my post is something I saw in a personal ad -- a woman said she didn't want to be contacted by guys who wear pleated Dockers! What's that about?? I don't really care whether my pants are pleated or not, but I notice that when I wear pleated pants, I can carry my wallet in my front pocket and it doesn't bulge as much or gouge me when I sit down to drive.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Check out pants in a retail store. Pleated pants are not in style now. They were for maybe a decade. Now they are out. Once they were in.

What I've noticed is a gradual tightening of men's clothes. Pants are slimmer, higher, and jackets are more form fitting. At least that's what I see in the WSJ adds and online. I another 5-7 years, men's clothes will begin to be looser I predict. Styles change.

While I believe that people should wear the things they want, I do think that pleated pants will date the wearer.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
i don't like them as I think they make me look fat. However, I have had some. BTW, 34 waist
You have no idea how good it feels to hear a man say that!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Check out pants in a retail store. Pleated pants are not in style now. They were for maybe a decade. Now they are out. Once they were in.

What I've noticed is a gradual tightening of men's clothes. Pants are slimmer, higher, and jackets are more form fitting. At least that's what I see in the WSJ adds and online. I another 5-7 years, men's clothes will begin to be looser I predict. Styles change.

While I believe that people should wear the things they want, I do think that pleated pants will date the wearer.
An issue there--and it's long been an issue for women--is that "current fashion" is always based on the slim and trim physique. What you see in mens' fashion magazines right now are styles that emphasize slimness--skinny suit pants and jackets worn tight (notice the stress wrinkles at the button). In fact, I've noted that those styles don't even allow for significant musculature, because the slack legs and jacket arms are being cut too close for any young man who is doing significant weight training.

That might be in fashion, but that's certainly not what the average American man working in the office can wear.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Just a dated style, and as they can add bulk around the middle, even when they are in style, they are really only at their most flattering on very slim, tall men.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Just a dated style, and as they can add bulk around the middle, even when they are in style, they are really only at their most flattering on very slim, tall men.
Fashion in general is designed to flatter the people who are most attractive to begin with.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The assumption there is that extremely tall, extremely slim men are the only ones who are attractive, when, frankly, I don't find that build appealing at all.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:51 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The assumption there is that extremely tall, extremely slim men are the only ones who are attractive, when, frankly, I don't find that build appealing at all.
And the runway fashion model figure for women is not the figure that wins the most votes from men, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty