Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

I have 3 thoughts when I see a shaved head. Aren't they cold? Do they moisturize their sensitive scalps? Don't they get sunburned?

If you like it, rock it.
I don't shave it, but I buzz with a #1 or #2.

To answer your questions: 1...It's never cold where I live & that's why I buzz. South Florida is a sauna this time of year. 2. Don't need to moisturize here due to the insanely high humidity. 3. A hat of some sort is necessary if you know you're going to be out in the sun for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
3. A hat of some sort is necessary if you know you're going to be out in the sun for a long time.
Yes, which is always true in the sun, regardless of the amount of hair you have. I know two people who have had to have their ears amputated because of sun-induced skin cancer.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Why would you shave your head if you had hair?

I never understand why men do that.

It's nicer and easier. No cutting. No combing. I started shaving my head at 20. Hair is just hot and a PITA.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That's funny, cause when I see men with lots of hair I think they look more like women then men. Especially when it's clear that the dude spends a lot of time to make it nice like a woman's.
I think the funniest look is the older men who wear ponytails or have their hair long,scraggly, and slightly dirty looking thinking it makes them look young or hip. I would rather see shaved heads any day than that.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That's funny, cause when I see men with lots of hair I think they look more like women then men. Especially when it's clear that the dude spends a lot of time to make it nice like a woman's.
That can also be true. Sometimes infact I can't tell if some of them are men or women from behind. I like a nice manly crew cut myself. I keep my hair short because it's easier maintenance but it grows very fast. Once I let it get to shoulder length but it was awkward to maintain and I don't have time for that type of thing. It looked quite good on me like that though. One wouldn't mistake me for a woman because I'm a) 6'4" and b) have an obviously male body shape / quite a square jawline.

However, I have also had very short before, i.e. shaved and everyone who knew me said I looked like a thug. Basically it depends on your face I think, as to whether shorter or longer suits you.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I don't shave it, but I buzz with a #1 or #2.
When I worked as a hairdresser, the ROTC lads would ask for a 'high & tight' with a #1 or #2 guard around the perimeter. I currently live near Camp Pendleton, so it's easy to spot the military lads here... they look nice with very short hair.

Quote:
To answer your questions: 1...It's never cold where I live & that's why I buzz. South Florida is a sauna this time of year. 2. Don't need to moisturize here due to the insanely high humidity. 3. A hat of some sort is necessary if you know you're going to be out in the sun for a long time.
Cheers for that. I've seen bald men on the subway in NYC/Boston in winter sans hat (burrrr!) & thought they must have to use a lot of moisturizer to keep from drying out. After a shower, I weigh 10-lbs more... 5-lbs hair conditioner, 5-lbs moisturizer.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
However, I have also had very short before, i.e. shaved and everyone who knew me said I looked like a thug.
That can be true, too. It can give one an intimidating look, especially if one is a) 6'4" and b) have an obviously male body shape / quite a square jawline.

It's like any other style, I suppose. Some women want long hair even though they don't have full or healthy hair... but, they prefer it that way. Fortunately, I found the perfect look for me...

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Cheers for that. I've seen bald men on the subway in NYC/Boston in winter sans hat (burrrr!) & thought they must have to use a lot of moisturizer to keep from drying out. After a shower, I weigh 10-lbs more... 5-lbs hair conditioner, 5-lbs moisturizer.

Nope, though there is aloe in the shaving cream.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Quote:
Yeah I visit friends and family up north even *gasp* in the winter & a ski hat is a necessity. I was up in St. Louis back in January when it was -5* outside every morning, I couldn't imagine going without a hat in that.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
That can be true, too. It can give one an intimidating look, especially if one is a) 6'4" and b) have an obviously male body shape / quite a square jawline.

It's like any other style, I suppose. Some women want long hair even though they don't have full or healthy hair... but, they prefer it that way. Fortunately, I found the perfect look for me...

I do believe I see chocolate donuts in there. It's making me hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty