Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,155 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ohky0815;35151272]It is for religious reasons as well as moral reasons. My parents were not this strict growing up. They had rules but not this many.

Understood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If you've got it, flaunt it. Male disrespect towards females is entirely a function of male mentality, and not of female fashion. If you have the opportunity to spread beauty and joy around the world, do it. Do we lock Mona Lisa in a safe where no one can view it?
This!!

At this point in my life I've had my kids, gotten rid of all the baby weight and I'm fit, strong/muscular and at nearly 40, I look/feel sexier than I ever have in my life. I plan on always being fit and able to wear whatever I want, but who knows how long that will last. I'm enjoying it for however long it lasts. I put in the work daily, eat healthy when I really want to pig put on pizza and donuts, etc....so if every now and then I feel like flaunting my hard work by putting on a form fitting dress or showing more leg than normal, I'm going to do it. Life is entirely too short to allow other people's opinions determine how you dress. Those who feel insecure because their husbands are looking too hard will either need to step their own sexy game up or just build a bridge and get over it.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,223,227 times
Being an Indian guy, I have no right to open my mouth on this topic .

Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Being an Indian guy, I have no right to open my mouth on this topic .
Why??

Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Both men and women do many things to get attention such as extensive piercings, tattoos, hair styles ....It's completely up to them to do what ever makes them happy but in all honesty, people will be looking.

I think most married women want to look nice for their husbands and the same could be said for men.
Personally, I always chose to dress modestly.
I agree with bvp, I think whatever men or women decide to wear is certainly their prerogative, however if it is outside of any particular sphere of 'normal' for whatever environment one is in, yes people will be looking. Not me...because I don't care, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

I'm past the half century mark. I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. I have a friend who can pull off wearing less clothes and not look bad. I can't.I decided a while back when I'm spending money on clothes, if it's not something that looks great on me I'm not buying it. You can flatter your figure no matter what you look like. Wearing less rarely looks better than dressing with class.

Hey, if you're stopping by for ice on your way to the lake, dress as skimpy as you want but don't be a Walmart People.

OH, I wanted to add, I do turn heads though the men who look are older now. That's okay. I do feel somewhat attractive and it makes me want to make an effort to look nice when I leave the house. My sweetie loves me, too. I want to look good for him.
I do not have a husband or a sweetie but I definitely do dress modestly (in understated, timeless and classic pieces) when I have the occasion to do so. Just running around, grocery shopping, errands I prefer my jeans and a sweater/blouse/henley (boots, gym shoes, or sandals)...simple but appropriate for what I 'have on my plate' for the day.

I do, however, recall in my youth the leering and/or catcalls (yes, I dressed modestly then as well) and I have to say I never appreciated it at all. It made me very uncomfortable and I made a conscious effort to try and avoid such environments (working downtown during summer construction was horrific) at all possible costs. It never gave me an emotional lift or boost to my self esteem...far from it.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,223,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Why??
In India, this topic has been beaten to death after the gang rapes (and all the convicts were killed in jail anyways).

Basically, what women say is that ALL MEN who dont "look good" attempt to attract women like creeps by leering at them .

I don't have good looks at all, but I sure don't leer at women for attraction.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-08-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Wow!

Are you a Mormon? Just asking because those are pretty strict standards.
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Mormon standards are not that strict!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Because we constantly hear from women how awful it is for men to pay attention to them. I get women don't like cat-calling, especially if they're not dressed provocatively. But a man just looking isn't bad, so why do women demonize that?
They don't. I've never heard of women who dress tastefully complaining about being looked at. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,249,687 times
Modesty is illegal in Australia.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree with bvp, I think whatever men or women decide to wear is certainly their prerogative, however if it is outside of any particular sphere of 'normal' for whatever environment one is in, yes people will be looking. Not me...because I don't care, really.

I do, however, recall in my youth the leering and/or catcalls (yes, I dressed modestly then as well) and I have to say I never appreciated it at all. It made me very uncomfortable and I made a conscious effort to try and avoid such environments (working downtown during summer construction was horrific) at all possible costs. It never gave me an emotional lift or boost to my self esteem...far from it.
I agree whenever I hear one of those catcalls it is not fun. I don't mind other compliments (from anyone) like you have a great smile, love your outfit, you are stylish etc. Free stuff works too.

I notice here we are making value judgements on the women here based on the women based on their attire, but not on the men based on their words and actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty