Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 36.77%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.52%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.42%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 30 19.35%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.55%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM

31,085 posts, read 22,101,630 times

Advertisements

Saw this article the other day and it made me think of the standard of beauty that many people have, and whether or not they can think of plus size models as attractive, even if not to them personally.

Personally, I'm more into proportional women regardless of size, as long as it's not a health issue. I think its great that people of all sizes can feel that they are attractive to someone. Applies to both men and women.

'All bodies should be celebrated': Plus-size models star in swimsuit calendar - Style - TODAY.com

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-05-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
I look at models that represent those in my size range. Im skinny to average so thats the kind of models i look at. I have no desire to look at a 300 lb model wearing something because im not 300 lbs. Much like a woman who weighs 200; why would she want to see how that outfit looks on a 110 lb lady? She wouldnt.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:58 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
I voted "don't care." Besides, plus size is subjective. Some companies call relatively small women plus size.

I go by what I feel looks best on my figure. At my age (64) I have gotten really good at it!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:31 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I think there should be more plus size models.

They dress very tasteful in the link while most plus size women don't. They wear clothes who don't fit and reveal too much of skin in areas they shouldn't show off.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I've said this in the past "if I can lift her up, she's good2go"

Old 06-05-2014, 02:39 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I look at models that represent those in my size range. Im skinny to average so thats the kind of models i look at. I have no desire to look at a 300 lb model wearing something because im not 300 lbs. Much like a woman who weighs 200; why would she want to see how that outfit looks on a 110 lb lady? She wouldnt.

I don't think that is a fair statement. You are perfectly welcome to your opinion and I am not challenging that, however from your statement you would seem to be saying that all it takes to be a plus sized model is just be 300lbs. I doubt many real plus sized models weigh that much. And conversely, just being skinny and 110lbs doesn't mean you can be a skinny or regular sized model or just model without any qualifiers.

And that's the problem, it should be model without any qualifiers.

Those women are very pretty and have figures that aren't necessarily found on the typical plus sized woman. Some of them are very tall, like "normal" models are. Also, being heavy doesn't guarantee a shapely butt and a large chest that many of them do have. There are a great many heavy women out there with boxy shapes, flat shapeless rumps and small chests that would love to have curves like that. And the agencies that pick plus sized ladies aren't looking for the typical box or apple shapes out there. But it seems that it doesn't matter to some people who dismiss any "plus sized" model as just being fat and not worthy of any one's adoration.

In short, being a (successful) model of any weight usually means that person has an extraordinary body and face that sets them apart from the rest of us. So, looking at ANY image of ANY model of a similar weight to ourselves can cause the body image problems people have because they set an ideal that is unattainable for most of us naturally.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I didn't vote. I kind of don't care one way or another whether or not there are more plus sized models. I suppose there should be.

What I care about is like what another poster spoke of, models who are my size, or even mannequins who are the appropriate size.

If a person is in a store that sells plus sized clothes, the mannequins wearing the cloths should be that size, and not smaller.

Maybe I do care. Yes there should be.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM

31,085 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't think that is a fair statement. You are perfectly welcome to your opinion and I am not challenging that, however from your statement you would seem to be saying that all it takes to be a plus sized model is just be 300lbs. I doubt many real plus sized models weigh that much. And conversely, just being skinny and 110lbs doesn't mean you can be a skinny or regular sized model or just model without any qualifiers.

And that's the problem, it should be model without any qualifiers.

Those women are very pretty and have figures that aren't necessarily found on the typical plus sized woman. Some of them are very tall, like "normal" models are. Also, being heavy doesn't guarantee a shapely butt and a large chest that many of them do have. There are a great many heavy women out there with boxy shapes, flat shapeless rumps and small chests that would love to have curves like that. And the agencies that pick plus sized ladies aren't looking for the typical box or apple shapes out there. But it seems that it doesn't matter to some people who dismiss any "plus sized" model as just being fat and not worthy of any one's adoration.

In short, being a (successful) model of any weight usually means that person has an extraordinary body and face that sets them apart from the rest of us. So, looking at ANY image of ANY model of a similar weight to ourselves can cause the body image problems people have because they set an ideal that is unattainable for most of us naturally.
I'm not sure that would apply for the women in the attached article. Even though it is subjective their body shapes and faces seem fairly ordinary. Thier skin tone seems to be very good and obviously there aren't any with celulite settling issues, so from that standpoint they could be better than the average woman.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Since a plus size model is a size 8 to size whatever, I would like to see more plus size models.

I am a size 8 and I want to see what an outfit online would look like on myself. Some things look great on a 00 model and look terrible on me. Some things look great on a size 8 and look terrible on a size 00.

Wouldn't it be great if short women could actually see what an outfit looks on a petite model too?

You could click on your body type, general size maybe 6-10, and general height ( short,average,tall)

Then the clothes on the page would be modeled by someone closer to your size.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm not sure that would apply for the women in the attached article. Even though it is subjective their body shapes and faces seem fairly ordinary. Thier skin tone seems to be very good and obviously there aren't any with celulite settling issues, so from that standpoint they could be better than the average woman.
I would say that about a couple of them, particularly the white woman in white, and the mixed girl with the natural do on the left in the first picture. I also mentioned successful. The other two appear more...ordinary, albeit big boobs and rumps - which, again, aren't a gurantee for all heavy women. However, they can be photoshopped and touched up like anybody else and have a few inches pinched off their elongated waists and imperfections blurred out just like skinny models can. These women are not on the level of a top plus sized model like Ashley Graham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty