Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you feel the same way about men who wear basketball shorts or athletic pants out in public? Or is it just woman who are held to a higher standard when it comes to the clothes they should be wearing?

I always hear people say that women should only wear yoga pants while doing yoga, but I never hear anything about the clothing men wear. Should men only be allowed to wear basketball shorts while playing basketball? Same with basketball shoes. If they're not on the court, then why are they wearing them? And lets not leave tennis shoes out of this. Should those only be worn while playing tennis?

But no, you'll never hear any complaints about men who dress down. Its only women who need to be put together and ascetically pleasing every second of the day they're in public.
I absolutely feel the same way about men in athletic attire. I didn't mean for anything in my post to be specific to women only. I think men in baggy basketball shorts look just as ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:22 PM

347 posts, read 282,524 times
To get somewhat back on topic (at this point I'm probably just ranting to myself, but here I go), I'm not sure what to think about the future of jeans as a fashion staple. I think a significant reason for the decline is the high price and low quality of jeans now days. I'm not thrilled by having to have to pay anywhere from $50 to a $100 or more for a pair of jeans that aren't going to last. It also bothers me that not many brands are made in the US anymore. For me, that was one of the big draws of Levi's but they have since moved the vast majority of their manufacturing out of the country. I would be willing to pay more for a pair of jeans if they were made in the US and of high quality denim. It's not entirely surprising that people are turning to cheaper and more comfortable options than jeans.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:07 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Athleisure forever...I've been wearing since it wasn't even cool. I find jeans super uncomfortable. Also, there are so many variations now of athletic clothes - it's not just yoga pants. In fact, I don't ever wear those traditional black cotton yoga pants. More likely to be stretchy cargoes or a skort, and a Prana T. But never jeans. Denim just isn't a great material for a lot of walking, sitting, bending, occasional jogging, bike-riding, skating or whatever. If you tend to be very active and don't want to be limited all day by your clothes, then athleisure is much better.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
But the thing is, you don't see people making complaints about men. Its always women and their yoga pants. It seems like at least once a month a new thread is created complaining about the "suburban housewife uniform" and that "yoga pants are for yoga only". And people jump on the threads complaining about how so many women are fat lazy slobs and should be covered head to toe in a tent (paraphrasing of course) so as to not be able to see their "rolls and bulges". And a lot of time its actually women saying these things, complaining about other women not looking "cute" while they're out in public. Sorry, but when I got to Target or the grocery store I'm not trying to spend an hour getting ready so that I look "cute" for some random stranger while getting bread. Not that I look like a slob, but I certainty am not going to have people believing that I'm on my way to a black tie event.

Yoga pants are a pretty new phenomenon. I never heard of yoga pants when I was in high school, but I can vividly remember a majority of the guys I went to high school with wearing basketball shorts or track pants every day. There were no complaints back then about athletic wear only being allowed on the basketball court or in the gym. Its only now that women also want to sometimes be comfortable in public that there are complaints.

I agree with some of what you say (double-standard), but some I do not.

Yoga pants aren't required to feel comfortable for quickly going out in public. Even this someone who has never worn women's clothing knows there are better quick options, jeans or not.

Women aren't complaining just about unattractive women in yoga pants. There's also some resentment about hotties. But I don't think people should flaunt in public, so I side with the complainers.

Also, men do sometimes complain about their sloppy peers, on other forums, and slobs of both sexes get theirs on People of Walmart. But partly because it's an old, old thing, male slobs are more accepted than they should be, yes.

I realize all that's somewhat off-topic and wouldn't mind a thread complaining about men in athleisure.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
To get somewhat back on topic (at this point I'm probably just ranting to myself, but here I go), I'm not sure what to think about the future of jeans as a fashion staple. I think a significant reason for the decline is the high price and low quality of jeans now days. I'm not thrilled by having to have to pay anywhere from $50 to a $100 or more for a pair of jeans that aren't going to last. It also bothers me that not many brands are made in the US anymore. For me, that was one of the big draws of Levi's but they have since moved the vast majority of their manufacturing out of the country. I would be willing to pay more for a pair of jeans if they were made in the US and of high quality denim. It's not entirely surprising that people are turning to cheaper and more comfortable options than jeans.
I always liked and wore Levis, but in recent years, they just became crap. The last couple pair I bought were around $60 and within a year, had holes in them. The fabric is what seems to be low quality now.

So I tried Gustin jeans... I think they're only for men. You have to buy them online and pay for them before they're even made. They get in different high quality denims and have two cuts to choose from. So I tried it since they're only $81 and made in San Francisco. So far, I'm impressed. They're like the quality of Levis 20 years ago.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yoga pants aren't required to feel comfortable for quickly going out in public. Even this someone who has never worn women's clothing knows there are better quick options, jeans or not.
Of course they're not required. No one is saying they are. I personally don't find jeans very comfortable, especially if I'm going to be fairly active while out. I usually wear dresses or maxi skirts when running errands, because I find them to be super comfortable while making people think I put some effort into my appearance. But sometimes, especially in the winter, I just don't feel like getting dressed up to run to the store. So throwing on yoga pants and a tshirt (and jacket depending on the time of year) is quick and easy. I really don't see why people get offended by someone's choice of pants.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I agree with some of what you say (double-standard), but some I do not.

Women aren't complaining just about unattractive women in yoga pants. There's also some resentment about hotties. But I don't think people should flaunt in public, so I side with the complainers.

Also, men do sometimes complain about their sloppy peers, on other forums, and slobs of both sexes get theirs on People of Walmart. But partly because it's an old, old thing, male slobs are more accepted than they should be, yes.

I realize all that's somewhat off-topic and wouldn't mind a thread complaining about men in athleisure.
Well of course we know why a woman wouldn't want to see a woman with a nice figure in yoga pants. Especially if she herself is not hot or doesn't have a nice figure. Take that same woman and put her with a significant other who happens to enjoy looking at a hot woman in yoga pants and you can practically see the smoke rising from the top of her head. LOL

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM

347 posts, read 282,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I always liked and wore Levis, but in recent years, they just became crap. The last couple pair I bought were around $60 and within a year, had holes in them. The fabric is what seems to be low quality now.

So I tried Gustin jeans... I think they're only for men. You have to buy them online and pay for them before they're even made. They get in different high quality denims and have two cuts to choose from. So I tried it since they're only $81 and made in San Francisco. So far, I'm impressed. They're like the quality of Levis 20 years ago.
Interesting. I might have to try Gustin, sounds like an interesting concept. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
I think Athletic Clothes look sloppy apart from the gym, jogging, walking, etc.

I wouldn't classify leggings as "athletic, "as they can be dressed up with a nice tunic and fun accessories/jewelry.

Jeans are practical for everyday, casual life that doesn't involve physical activity (i.e. exercise): I don't see them going out of style.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Of course they're not required. No one is saying they are. I personally don't find jeans very comfortable, especially if I'm going to be fairly active while out. I usually wear dresses or maxi skirts when running errands, because I find them to be super comfortable while making people think I put some effort into my appearance. But sometimes, especially in the winter, I just don't feel like getting dressed up to run to the store. So throwing on yoga pants and a tshirt (and jacket depending on the time of year) is quick and easy. I really don't see why people get offended by someone's choice of pants.
Because they're generally distracting. Either because they are sloppy or because they show a lot of the woman (good or bad). Yoga pants in public almost force people's attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty