Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times

Advertisements

Land's End plus a Permacheck fleece 300 for those warmer days. Maybe wrong on the Perma thing name but LE has them as well as the down coats and jackets. I always got one with a hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,399 times
Thanks for the input everyone... it's appreciated!! I did look at Land's End and I found some cute jackets that I liked!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this winter at all. I loved the Florida winters.... they were perfect. High's in the upper 60's/low 70's and low's in the 40's/50's. The fall here feels like winter in Tampa, well at least in September. This is the coldest I like. It won't be long until all the leaves are off the trees.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 PM

338 posts, read 421,056 times
A $40 buffalo leather motorcycle jacket from E-Bay and a fleece hoodie under it.

Well, it's gotten me through the last 10 or so frigid SW Washington winters pretty well...

Old 09-20-2014, 01:48 AM

513 posts, read 798,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
Now that it's September, and fall is right around the corner.... soon it will be winter. I lived in Florida for 6 1/2 years, and just moved back to Connecticut at the end of July. It's September, and it's already (for me) pretty nippy outside.

I know I will need a warm winter jacket this year. I know in the past I believe I bought mine at Kohls or Sears. I don't remember, as last time I had a winter jacket it was 2007-2008. I did bring it down w/ me though for those few cold winter days that Tampa had. However, when we moved back - the style was something I no longer cared for plus I knew it just wouldn't keep me warm enough.

What are some warm winter jackets that you recommend? I was looking at northface website earlier, and those jackets are pretty expensive. Are they worth that much extra money? Of course there is LL Bean too, but currently not liking a lot personally on their website.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Last year was the first time I spent real money on a winter jacket. Usually I got a cheap one here and there but I was sick of being freezing all the time and wanted to see what they difference was. oh my! What a difference there was!

I bought The North Face Parkina down jacket. The hood is fur lined but it has a zipper so you can take it off if you wish. It also has a buckle on the waist so it doesn't it during the "polar vortex" and I was actually sweating at one point while wearing it.

This is what North Face says...

Navigate cold, icicle-laden city streets with this new sophisticated down winter jacket that features a sporty 27-inch length. The durable exterior is treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish to repel light moisture and protect the lofty 550-fill down. Modern quilting, a belted waist, and removable faux-fur trim on the hood gives this warm winter jacket a feminine look.

I am glad I put out the money for the jacket because one, it keeps me super warm, and two, it's made to last.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:04 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Last year was the first time I spent real money on a winter jacket. Usually I got a cheap one here and there but I was sick of being freezing all the time and wanted to see what they difference was. oh my! What a difference there was!

I bought The North Face Parkina down jacket. The hood is fur lined but it has a zipper so you can take it off if you wish. It also has a buckle on the waist so it doesn't it during the "polar vortex" and I was actually sweating at one point while wearing it.

This is what North Face says...

Navigate cold, icicle-laden city streets with this new sophisticated down winter jacket that features a sporty 27-inch length. The durable exterior is treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish to repel light moisture and protect the lofty 550-fill down. Modern quilting, a belted waist, and removable faux-fur trim on the hood gives this warm winter jacket a feminine look.

I am glad I put out the money for the jacket because one, it keeps me super warm, and two, it's made to last.

That's a really cute jacket! I'm also wondering how much cheaper the outlets are. There is an outlet like 2 hrs away from me. Obviously it's a long drive for a jacket, but they also have a Vera Bradley there and I always find great deals at Vera Bradley outlets. Hmm....

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,687 times
I second the Carhart suggestion. Very warm and the longer you wear them the better they look.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I second the Carhart suggestion. Very warm and the longer you wear them the better they look.
I left mine at home in CNJ. Don't really need heavy jackets down here. Sweaters are enough for the most part.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:39 PM

513 posts, read 798,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
That's a really cute jacket! I'm also wondering how much cheaper the outlets are. There is an outlet like 2 hrs away from me. Obviously it's a long drive for a jacket, but they also have a Vera Bradley there and I always find great deals at Vera Bradley outlets. Hmm....

Thanks!
You should check out ebay. My jacket retails for like $299 but I got it off ebay for half the price, with tags and everything. Sometimes people buy stuff and then never use it or forget about it.

I'm kind of iffy about outlets. JMO. Sometimes things are "irregular" and a lot of time I've found you can find better deals online. Other times you might find something awesome.

** by the way in the original post I realized a part got erased. I was mentioning the belt buckle at the waist is awesome because it doesn't make you look "clunky".. No one needs or wants to look like they have extra inches lol

Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,445 times
I hear a lot about Nordstrom's (online if there isn't a store near you) and the great style choices they have. They have sales sometime in the fall to promote their new merch. People swear by them. Big selection in every category--down jackets/coats, wool coats, all kinds of coats & jackets.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:04 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
The OP has probably found a winter coat by now--I sure hope so!

If I had to recommend any, I would say L.L. Bean down parkas. There are L.L.Bean outlets where you can get one after the season is over and save quite a bit of money--it's a bit of a trip from CT but there is one in southern New Hampshire on rte 1. You can also check ebay. I wasn't able to find an L.L.Bean down jacket on ebay but I did get a new Eddie Bauer longish down jacket with a hood that's on its second winter now.

Probably more expensive and trendy is The North Face. For lower prices but still good warmth Land's End is good.

You can't really afford to go really off brand and cheap in New England for winter jackets and I don't think a good quality down jacket with a fairly high amount of fill can be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty