Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/beauty-is-not-in-the-eye-98325752088.html
The lady doth protest too much. It exemplifies why men don't trust women's claims about looks. Bunch of women praising the article in its comments section. Probably men here will agree with me.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
Agree with what? That she's trying to come to terms with her husband's new face after his battle injuries? You don't think that would be traumatic? What if your significant other of 25 years suddenly had a different face? This is life being very life-like and one woman trying to deal with it.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/beauty-is-not-in-the-eye-98325752088.html
The lady doth protest too much. It exemplifies why men don't trust women's claims about looks. Bunch of women praising the article in its comments section. Probably men here will agree with me.
This supposedly superficial woman you quoted has learned something from her adversity. You, however, have not.

Look within, dude. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2014 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Mod cut.

I have a strong BS detector, and what she writes is full of BS. She's obviously long been obsessed with her husband's appearance. All the tiny details she points out. No way in hell she'd have gotten with him if he weren't attractive, and the article does not dispel the suspicion that she'd have left him over major, lasting disfigurement. She seems to be writing to puff herself up - "I snagged a hot man and stuck with him," along with getting publicity for her story. I doubt she's learned anything. Readers should wake up and realize that women are hardly better than men when it comes to overvaluing looks.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Off topic; orphaned.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
[Snip.]
I have a strong BS detector, and what she writes is full of BS. She's obviously long been obsessed with her husband's appearance. All the tiny details she points out. No way in hell she'd have gotten with him if he weren't attractive, and the article does not dispel the suspicion that she'd have left him over major, lasting disfigurement. She seems to be writing to puff herself up - "I snagged a hot man and stuck with him," along with getting publicity for her story. I doubt she's learned anything. Readers should wake up and realize that women are hardly better than men when it comes to overvaluing looks.
Mod cut. You took someone's earnest effort to describe something that, thankfully, most of us will never experience, and you crapped all over it with your negativity.

I'm an editor, and here's what happens when you are asked to write an article: You are asked to give detail. Tons of detail. Not stupid, worthless generalities like, "Men don't trust women's claims about looks." But memorable, evocative details like "16 centimeters of skull removed." And personal feelings, like the fact that she does not love his scars. All that does is make her relatable.

Your post only reveals is that you have not experienced love like this. And that's ok. But for you to denigrate HER experience because of your own problems is just ... sad.

Like I said, look within.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2014 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Some of that might be true, but she talks too much about how handsome he is or was and oozes pride about that. Also, I didn't say all women are like her - I've seen stories on TV of "stand by my maimed man" where no superficiality showed. But the truth is, on average, women are more subtle about their superficiality than men are and like to act as though their gender as a whole is non-superficial (re the lack of comments calling the author out on her attitude). Consider this thread an expose. Giving guys knowledge so they can protect themselves. By the way, I don't want to be "loved" for my face.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Some of that might be true, but she talks too much about how handsome he is or was and oozes pride about that. Also, I didn't say all women are like her - I've seen stories on TV of "stand by my maimed man" where no superficiality showed. But the truth is, on average, women are more subtle about their superficiality than men are and like to act as though their gender as a whole is non-superficial (re the lack of comments calling the author out on her attitude). Consider this thread an expose. Giving guys knowledge so they can protect themselves. By the way, I don't want to be "loved" for my face.
It's an expose on nothing but the fact that you missed the whole point. "The lack of comments calling her out ..." should be a clue to you that you're wrong.

She of course talks about how handsome he is because to ignore it would be disingenuous. She even admits that she DID take pride in his appearance, and that it was shallow.

The part you missed is about how she now knows that love is more than that.

"Women" as a whole don't do anything. We all are different.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Gosh, what a wonderful article.

"I think about how different my own face must look to Bob. It’s been changing imperceptibly since we met, the aging process visible in the time-lapse photos of us from our wedding 26 years ago to now. Love ages and mellows us. It transports us through life together, for better or worse."

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2014 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:44 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Gosh, what a wonderful article.

"I think about how different my own face must look to Bob. It’s been changing imperceptibly since we met, the aging process visible in the time-lapse photos of us from our wedding 26 years ago to now. Love ages and mellows us. It transports us through life together, for better or worse."

[snip.]
+1. I read what many other posters have read; the woman loves her husband for who he is, not how he looks. After all, she is still married to him years after a horrible disfiguring facial injury. That alone contradicts OP's thesis; that the author (and women in general) are shallow, superficial, and only concerned about their husbands' looks.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's an expose on nothing but the fact that you missed the whole point. "The lack of comments calling her out ..." should be a clue to you that you're wrong.

She of course talks about how handsome he is because to ignore it would be disingenuous. She even admits that she DID take pride in his appearance, and that it was shallow.

The part you missed is about how she now knows that love is more than that.

"Women" as a whole don't do anything. We all are different.
THAT ^^^. Sorry I can't rep this comment, but I would if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty