Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't forget, you will all grow old (I hope) and you will all die (I know).

Male pattern baldness is just a natural thing.

Men who are not afraid of actual life, which includes aging and death, are unlikely to get hair transplants.
That kind of "real man" likely is the same type who blows his brains out when diagnosed with a bad health condition late in life. In other words, there's a tendency to avoid working through unpleasant situations. And not every man balds! Which severely undermines the "Suck it up" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 03:03 PM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's probably true for anyone who is balding and trying to cover it up vs. shaving it regularly. I don't know how maintenance compares for normal styling vs regular head shaving. I've never shaved my head and am guessing some men need to do it more often than others.
Despite the sentiments expressed some places in this thread, I'm not really trying to *cover it up* though. You can still see someone's hairline. It just looks better with a shave versus leaving what is there.

For me, the shaving maintenance is less than when I had a full head of hair, and most guys I have talked to about it agree.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
When I started shaving my head years ago, I got a lot of compliments - especially from women.
In cases where this happens, I suspect the compliments are on the decision, not the outcome.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
This may have been posted already but here's another reason:

Joe Buck reveals how hair replacement almost ended his career | SI.com

Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM

A complication that severe is extremely unlikely to happen. If something does go very wrong, probably in time it can be mostly fixed.

I think hair loss puts people into a scared state where they can then become preoccupied with things that might go wrong and get trapped in passivity.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
There are some men who look better bald than with hair. Vin Diesel for one. It comes down to the size, shape and proportions of the head. Bruce Willis has a great shaped dome.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
In cases where this happens, I suspect the compliments are on the decision, not the outcome.

Keep on telling yourself that. I will say that even if I had all of my hair (I don't) I would still shave my head because I look better without hair.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 02-01-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 PM

I don't think Bruce Willis looks great bald. His head is a bit narrow and pointy. I think his appearance gets overrated because of his great swagger and voice. The forefather of the shaved head, Telly Savalas, had a terrific speaking voice (and a good head shape). To the average balding white guy out there, be honest with yourself about how you rate facially, vocally, and so on.

Also, I think there's a long history of women (and men) from the middle and upper classes looking down on men with shaved heads.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM

47 posts, read 315,069 times
Most men look terrible bald, of course, they cope by quoting or mentioning the buff good looking hollywood bald actors, such as the rock, jason statham, bruce willis, vin diesel, etc as if the average guy looks like them lol, they are not only better looking, better physique, but also are haloed by their fame, money, status, etc lol they can get away with being bald

The average guy cannot afford to lose his hair, is a massive drop to his looks and attractiveness, you basically need to have not only the right face, in other words, good looking, ideally a tough looking face, but also the right head shape, and it has to be spotless, if you have pimples, ingrown hairs, marks, imperfections, which many men do and don't know it until they shave their head, it will not look good.

This is one of the reason why black men are the ones who almost ALWAYS look good with a bald head, not only do they have more masculine facial features than your average white man, but they also have more muscle mass, and their dark skin, helps disguise imperfections, pimples, scars, etc, whereas on white skin, any imperfection sticks out like a sore thumb

Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
The average guy cannot afford to lose his hair, is a massive drop to his looks and attractiveness, you basically need to have not only the right face, in other words, good looking, ideally a tough looking face, but also the right head shape, and it has to be spotless, if you have pimples, ingrown hairs, marks, imperfections, which many men do and don't know it until they shave their head, it will not look good.

This is one of the reason why black men are the ones who almost ALWAYS look good with a bald head, not only do they have more masculine facial features than your average white man, but they also have more muscle mass, and their dark skin, helps disguise imperfections, pimples, scars, etc, whereas on white skin, any imperfection sticks out like a sore thumb
Disagree with this - I still think many balding/bald white guys look better with a shaved head than with hair.

Also, even if you don't think a guy looks good with a shaved head - I attest that he looks better than if he's bald & lets his hair grow out. In many cases this looks messy/sloppy, especially the terrible comb-over. Years ago, I told a distant relative I had started shaving my head. He said, "Vain people shave their heads". He was bald & had a awful-looking comb-over, and I told him, "So, a comb-over isn't vain?!" That shut him up.

And, even if I have "imperfections" as a shaven-headed white guy, I would rather have this than a hair-transplanted head that's all scarred up because of the transplant. I have heard of cases where men got hair transplants, didn't like the outcome, and wanted to shave their head. However, they couldn't because all of the scarring looked terrible. I.e.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Why the obsession with this. Hair transplants are not always a good option, even for men who want them. Hair loss that will lead to full male pattern baldness often takes years to fully occur. If a man starts early in his hair loss, to keep his look as close to his pre hair loss look, he'll have to get more transplants as more hair falls away. He may run out of donor sites. Many men lose some of the hair from the sides and back of their heads as time goes by (I did) and so if I had had hair transplants starting in my 20s I'd have had to repeat the procedure 6-8 times, would have run out of donor areas, and the early transplants would have continued to thin. That would have been a poor cosmetic result and it would have removed the option of shaving my head or just cutting it short due to the scarring that would be visible.
Agree 200%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
As someone who shaves his head, it is way less maintenance now than it ever was when I had hair. So in terms of effort, no contest. Would I prefer to have not started balding? Yeah, sure. But if you're purely talking maintenance, it's less now than it was before.
Yes, I agree with this. When I had hair (years ago) it was a lot more hassle to maintain re: combing, styling, getting it cut, etc. These days - even though I'm shaving my head often, it's still a lot less hassle because after it's shaved, I don't have to do anything else.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 02-05-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty