Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 07:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I saw a group of what seemed to be cheerleaders or something like that from a high school eating out together, all wearing matching T shirts. Two things jumped out at me:

1) Every single one of them had flat, plain hair. I mean, it was long but flat - and not flat ironed flat, just boring flat. Like all they did was get up, wash it, and let it air dry, doing nothing else to it, not even parting it straight.

2) Every single one of them was on their phone most of the time, scrolling. Spending time together but NOT spending time together, if that makes sense.

I mean, I don't want to return to 80s hyper hair but isn't there a middle ground somewhere? And PUT THE PHONES AWAY FOR A BIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 01:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I was young in the 80s. Talking about grade school young lol. I remember the girls in our school wearing big hair, Def Leppard Hysteria and Animalize shirts, neon bracelets and shoulder pads. The guys didn't follow any fashion trends. Hmm take that back. Wearing the sweaters tied around their necks and waists and Miami Vice shades.

The music. Oh man I miss the music. Some of the best I can recall... I remember watching the Music Awards and Motley Crue (I think) was playing live. My mom said that's heavy metal. I was HOOKED! Had my parents buy me some of the tapes and Walkman, I would jam out while on recess. I soon had band shirts like Ratt, the Crue and others. My parents said that I'll grow out of it in time. Na... I still go to metal shows and have a blast.

I guess the 80s meant so much because I grew up in that era.

I'm still waiting for Hypercolor Shirts to make a comeback!! Lol
Metal is still around but like the early days of say Black Sabbath, it is fairly underground unless you talk a Def Leppard or Mötley Crüe or Metallica who were mainstream acts. The rest tour and have followings but it is a niche of the niche rock audience.

As for fashion, I'm fine with today's stuff it is a mix of grunge from the 1990's with flannel being in and some 80's with neon still kind of being a thing (not as much as the scene years when pop-punk and metalcore bands all had neon monster shirts.)

Old 03-07-2020, 02:26 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not even sure what "today's fashion" is. I think it's the freedom to create your own look. The 80's were horrible. I simply stopped buying what the stores were selling. I'm noticing that lately, all styles of pants are "in" for women: flared, bootcut, wide leg, skinny or slim leg; the diversity of choice is refreshing. Tunics are big, but tops are by no means limited to that; there's a lot of variety there, too.
It's 90's reincarnate, or stripper-ware (for the young ppl, anyway). it's a little annoying to see everyone dressing like the 90's, while they're all on their phones taking selfies...lol. but I loved the 80's when I was younger, though that didn't seem to catch on like the 90's reboot is now. hopefully they'll be over it soon, and get their own style. but I do agree it's better than 10 years ago. I could never find anything I liked, and had to go online at urban outfitters to find anything cool or big or comfy...now it's all my style...but I don't wanna look like all the young wannabe 90's strippers.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yesterday I saw a group of what seemed to be cheerleaders or something like that from a high school eating out together, all wearing matching T shirts. Two things jumped out at me:

1) Every single one of them had flat, plain hair. I mean, it was long but flat - and not flat ironed flat, just boring flat. Like all they did was get up, wash it, and let it air dry, doing nothing else to it, not even parting it straight.

2) Every single one of them was on their phone most of the time, scrolling. Spending time together but NOT spending time together, if that makes sense.

I mean, I don't want to return to 80s hyper hair but isn't there a middle ground somewhere? And PUT THE PHONES AWAY FOR A BIT.
totally. I noticed that too, years ago...it's all long n' straight (cuz that's what guys like ), when in the 90's and before, there were all different styles - short, long, in between, curly, etc...bangs. (bangs!). think of the 90's, the main big movie stars, like julia roberts, meg ryan, sandra bullock...all had different styles and colors. even models had short hair and different looks. now it's mostly the same. some are getting "edgier", because that's the trend - some go short or shaved...but most can't pull it off, so long n' straight it is.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
totally. I noticed that too, years ago...it's all long n' straight (cuz that's what guys like ), when in the 90's and before, there were all different styles - short, long, in between, curly, etc...bangs. (bangs!). think of the 90's, the main big movie stars, like julia roberts, meg ryan, sandra bullock...all had different styles and colors. even models had short hair and different looks. now it's mostly the same. some are getting "edgier", because that's the trend - some go short or shaved...but most can't pull it off, so long n' straight it is.
Yep. And I've never had thin, straight hair a minute in my life so I learned long ago to just ignore this trend.

But I have to admit that my hair was perfectly suited for big 80s hair!

Old 03-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep. And I've never had thin, straight hair a minute in my life so I learned long ago to just ignore this trend.

But I have to admit that my hair was perfectly suited for big 80s hair!
haha, perfect! I always loved the 80's and the big hair, but...being a low-maintenance hippie, don't think I could do it. guess my straight hair was better suited for the 90's+ I don't like the artificial-looking straightened hair, though, that sticks to their faces lol. :/ I think it looks better w/some movement.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Women wore short shorts in the '80s, and so did men. Toward the end of the '80s, several cultural influences led to the universal requirement of the long and baggy mens shorts that we are still cursed with today.
Because small boys just getting into real clothes want to emulate their older brothers and dads who already wear only the long and baggy style, so it's been self perpetuating, generation on generation.

It's interesting how now nearly every laughs at the men of the past who wore short shorts, but I can't remember anyone laughing at the style then, back when it was popular.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:01 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I hope I'm I'm not being rude but I think they did for a while. I do remember having those wrap around shorts in the early eighties. Weird little things but my boyfriend at the time thought they were sexy as all get out, lol.
Oh and the little addidas type running shorts were pretty skimpy too.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/003/1/56...95797_bznq.jpg
http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/terrycloth-shorts-colors.jpg
IIRC the professionally manufactured and hemmed denim short shorts which have now become nearly ubiquitous today weren't nearly as common back then. Frayed short-short cutoffs were a lot more common, but not nearly as much as the finished denim shorts are today.

With regard to men, the shorts we wore back then as ordinary casual or beach wear was definitely longer than what women were wearing, though still much shorter than you see today. The main exception was workout and sports attire extending to some team sports. The short basketball shorts are pretty well known, and soccer or rugby shorts could be even shorter. What men wore for working out or running was usually as short as the old style basketball shorts.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
I was born in '79 so I love the 80s. Like Marty McFly style. Or Kyle Reese in the first terminator movie.

The 70s looked so bad for men.

I'm glad the 80s came back in style for a few years, but now it looks like 1992 all over again.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times
when I remember 80s fashion, i think of linebacker shoulder pads, frizzy hair, pleated pants, garish colors. there was nothing flattering to women's bodies in fashion during the 80s.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-20-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty