Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM

57 posts, read 40,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
You say that now . . .
I do look forward to being a great Auntie, to my future nieces and nephews but I don't want ANY children of my own. It's just a personal decision that I've made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,907,482 times
Obviously in most cases it's more enjoyable to look good than not. But the thing is, unless we're talking about a particular extraordinary problem - e.g. a birth defect, a very noticeable scar, knocked-out front tooth, a broken nose that healed crooked, etc. - if a person has a self-esteem problem, there will always be yet another physical imperfection that needs "fixed." It's not a flat chest or chubby thighs or whatever that's the root cause of a person's insecurity or unhappiness, so fixing that will not, in the long term, make one secure or happy. Focusing on looks as the cause of discontent is literally externalizing one's internal problems.

Throw in the fact that looks are fleeting, so any investment in them is temporary, and it makes more sense to spend the bulk of one's spare time, money and energy on improving things that will actually stick with you or the people around you - developing hobbies or skills, doing charitable work, therapy, etc.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM

192 posts, read 250,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Obviously in most cases it's more enjoyable to look good than not. But the thing is, unless we're talking about a particular extraordinary problem - e.g. a birth defect, a very noticeable scar, knocked-out front tooth, a broken nose that healed crooked, etc. - if a person has a self-esteem problem, there will always be yet another physical imperfection that needs "fixed." It's not a flat chest or chubby thighs or whatever that's the root cause of a person's insecurity or unhappiness, so fixing that will not, in the long term, make one secure or happy. Focusing on looks as the cause of discontent is literally externalizing one's internal problems.

Throw in the fact that looks are fleeting, so any investment in them is temporary, and it makes more sense to spend the bulk of one's spare time, money and energy on improving things that will actually stick with you or the people around you - developing hobbies or skills, doing charitable work, therapy, etc.
I agree with this 100%. I have problems with vanity as well; I care too much about how I look and what people think of my looks. But personally, I've noticed that once you "fix" one thing, there's always another feature to take its place and remind you of how imperfect you are.

I think a lot of people don't realize how much of our beauty standards are based on the images we see around us. If big boobs are considered sexy by mainstream media, it wouldn't surprise me to see many women getting implants so that they can be considered sexy too. That's all fine and good for a time, but what happens when small noses become popular? Almond eyes? Big lips? Big butts? Are you going to keep getting surgery every time you become "unhappy" with a certain body part? I think we all need to be more honest about the role that magazines/films/images play in our perception of beauty and how far down the rabbit hole you can fall trying to achieve that.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,237,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_A View Post
Many people will say, just accept yourself as you are, but sometimes you may not like a particular feature about you. What's wrong with wanting to change that feature? In my case, I love my face but hate my flat chest. I'm so tired of reading that it's best to just learn to love yourself. What if you absolutely hate a particular feature? How do you learn to love it? It's akin to telling someone who hates their job, to just learn to love it.

I want to love it, but I know that if I change it, I'll feel so much better. I believe I will be so much more beautiful, to myself and therefore I don't see a problem with changing something that you do not like about yourself, to feel more confident.
So to address your original question, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be beautiful.

You say you "love" your face, so it follows that you probably are already beautiful. What's risky, and probably "wrong," is expecting plastic surgery to make you MORE ___________ (fill in the blank).

The risk is that you will come out of the surgery and recovery with SUCH HIGH expectations that may or may not be fulfilled.

The ONLY guarantee after plastic surgery is that you will have bigger boobs. That's all it can do for you. The rest is in your head, and you could fix that without surgery.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, she's a pretty girl, no doubt, regardless of her cup size. But you say, "she has a great life and is very happy . . . " etc., etc. I'd submit to you that you only know what she has chosen to TELL you about herself and her life on a blog. That blog is just a very small slice of her life -- you don't know how her S.O. treats her, how many true friends she actually has that she can trust to have her back no matter what, you don't know what kind of issues she had growing up that are coloring her perception of herself now . . . my point is that you ONLY know what she has chosen to present to the public. So, to extrapolate and say, "She has a great life!" probably goes along with what she would like everyone to think.

Boobs are boobs. (shrug) Some are bigger, some are smaller. Mind are on the bigger side, and every day I wish they were a bit smaller -- swimsuits don't fit, button-down shirts don't fit, bras are more expensive and a PITA to buy and fit, blah, blah, blah. It's just enough that it's annoying, but not enough to warrant several thousands of dollars for plastic surgery. And frankly, you get tired of meeting people (men, especially) who first check out your chest, even in professional settings, or who automatically think that the higher the cup size, the lower the IQ. I just can't imagine any body part that would make my life "happy" if it was changed -- because, basically, body parts do not contribute to your sense of happiness and contentment. People can get too wrapped up in what they THINK would make their life perfect, but the happiness button in your life is not located just to the right of your nipple.

But it's your life and your body. If that's what you want, go for it. Just don't expect a boob job to make you beautiful, witty, caring, loving or smarter. It's just a piece of silicone, for heaven's sake -- that's a lot to expect from an expensive piece of silicone.
I know that you can't tell everything about a person based on what they present, but I have been reading her blog and watching her youtube videos for a while. She seems to be very close to her family and her life appears to be very good.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,237,826 times
Quote:
I know that you can't tell everything about a person based on what they present, but I have been reading her blog and watching her youtube videos for a while. She seems to be very close to her family and her life appears to be very good.
Time for that old saying, "Never compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."

Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM

16,603 posts, read 10,769,481 times
Quote:
Does she look unhappy to you? Definitely not.
I'm not particularly attractive, but if you plopped me down on a beautiful beach in a tropical paradise, I'll bet I would look pretty happy too!

OP, have you asked yourself this: what, specifically, would having larger breasts do for you that you are not getting now, by virtue of having a small chest? I will grant that it would probably gain you more attention from men -- because in lots of ways, men (myself included) can be awfully shallow sometimes. But aside from that, what do you hope to gain or achieve with a larger chest?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM

29,793 posts, read 34,600,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Time for that old saying, "Never compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."
Yeah, and if you're going by blogs and YouTube posts for your research, you have to keep in mind that people who are unhappy with themselves or their plastic surgery probably aren't going to be crowing from the rooftops in social media. It's not the full picture.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not particularly attractive, but if you plopped me down on a beautiful beach in a tropical paradise, I'll bet I would look pretty happy too!

OP, have you asked yourself this: what, specifically, would having larger breasts do for you that you are not getting now, by virtue of having a small chest? I will grant that it would probably gain you more attention from men -- because in lots of ways, men (myself included) can be awfully shallow sometimes. But aside from that, what do you hope to gain or achieve with a larger chest?
Please watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXXCSViBh0

Having a greater level of confidence would definitely make me more appealing and desirable. I dread wearing bathing suits and certain dresses, because I am not well proportioned on the top.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,712,930 times
Quote:
Many people will say, just accept yourself as you are, but sometimes you may not like a particular feature about you. What's wrong with wanting to change that feature? In my case, I love my face but hate my flat chest. I'm so tired of reading that it's best to just learn to love yourself. What if you absolutely hate a particular feature? How do you learn to love it? It's akin to telling someone who hates their job, to just learn to love it.

I want to love it, but I know that if I change it, I'll feel so much better. I believe I will be so much more beautiful, to myself and therefore I don't see a problem with changing something that you do not like about yourself, to feel more confident.

She is a popular vlogger who has undergone breast augmentation:

Does she look unhappy to you? Definitely not.

Michelle... you are asking What's wrong with wanting to be beautiful?

All is wrong because it is not a natural need.

First naturally you could never know what your looks is, maybe at crystal water surface on some rare days but your own eyes on your head are naturally placed by the way that you cannot see yourself "from outsiders perspective" as mirrors are able to show you or other people sadly are able to tell you no matter if it is positive or negative. Give an thought for this. Human is not meant to judge own looks, otherwise we would have extra eyeballs as selfie sticks which would belong into our dna.

What for you need to feel beautiful? What it serves for you? You created a need to yourself, that is self created need, you don't actually need to feel beautiful, it does not serve anything important surviving skill. It is just illusion.

Second beauty is subjective, some like flat noses and flat chest, some like high nose bridges and giant breasts.. Also these tastes are able to change.. So what do you follow? A trend? Why flat chest would not be beautiful in your own eyes?

Flat and small breasts are able to hang too but if they are up now just be happy to have small, less to carry, no surgery pain etc.

Why do you want to admire your breasts, you are a woman and want beautiful breasts to admire them so I cannot follow. Why would you need to admire your breasts?

Being feminine or being sexy if needed does not come from the breast size. I know, mine are extreamely big and I never felt feminine or sexy, huh.. It comes from your inner aura, it is inner energy. It all comes inside, it is not a cover. Having some type of cover could give a stigma but that also is societys and medias mistake, audiences mistake. Mistreat people because of prejudices.

You must also know that looks does not equal with happy. You would never let yourself to be happy, you would always find things that are wrong... Till you decide to be happy right now no matter how buttly all things around you are.

Confidence comes inside too. Your body will change during your life time, you could burn in a house fire or car accident etc. Dont let your confidence to be depending on looks and outside factors. Factors can always change. What you would do then?

Look inside yourself and find yourself your confidence because inside = your brain is only thing that is with you always. And when it stops working, then it really does not bother what your looks is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty