Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 AM

302 posts, read 922,265 times

Advertisements

^^When I was in college a few years ago, I'd see people walk into class with Spongebob, Scooby-Doo, and Family Guy pajama pants on.

And these were MALES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Default emo

emo's

I just heard this name the other day from my darling daughter. She is not one but I thought at first she was saying, "emailers". LOL!! I"M ONE! Then she spelled it for me and told me how they dress. OH! So it is the kids that wear black eye liner, skinny jeans and all. Kind of the skateboarder, punk type and shop at places like Hot Topic. I asked her if that was a slang term and she did not know what it stood for. I've not found it either but did find this:
Emo Kids, Emo Fashion and Emo Hair for boys & girls

Emo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
LOL, DD did that for a while, now she is into the club scene dress thing. I did catch her eyeballing one of my Chanel bags the other day, so perhaps there is hope.....

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
emo's

I just heard this name the other day from my darling daughter. She is not one but I thought at first she was saying, "emailers". LOL!! I"M ONE! Then she spelled it for me and told me how they dress. OH! So it is the kids that wear black eye liner, skinny jeans and all. Kind of the skateboarder, punk type and shop at places like Hot Topic. I asked her if that was a slang term and she did not know what it stood for. I've not found it either but did find this:
Emo Kids, Emo Fashion and Emo Hair for boys & girls

Emo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My daughter is 13 and has (sadly) been going throught this phase!! She's a little more "glam" with it though than some of her peers. She refuses to wear Hollister , Ambercrombie, etc. Hey...saves me money..lol..(well ..not really she has quite the closet) Anyway....Emo is short for emotional and I have found that most of the emo kids that my daughter knows are the creative artistic types.......as my daughter is...very deep thinker for her age too. I think people think these kids are all depressed and it's just not true. I will be glad when she is done with this fashion trend though. lol I miss seeing her in color.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Here in Salt Lake these are the most popular things:

Uggs
boot cut jeans
Louis Vuitton bags
Coach bags
hoodies
streaked or blonde hair
long or short hair with bangs
black, brown, or neutrals
un-fashiony- fashion
Uggs tucked in to jeans or sweats
flats
skinny jeans, but mostly on emo kids
a fake, snotty rich look that looks poor

Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 AM

160 posts, read 164,606 times
I live in Carson City, NV at the moment ....the trend is xxx t shirts and elastic waisted pants with flip flops..........thank GOD I am moving soon. Being a NYer I miss seeing a man in a suit and a Ladies dressed to impress.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
Actually, it was the hardcore scene that first brought in the deal with guys wearing girl pants. Emo kids took it from them after that and now are ruining the whole culture.

In general the hardcore or "hXc" scene can be distinguished from "emo" by the over all lack of make up and, yes, depression. In general emo kids do tend to be on the darker side of the sub-culture. All-in-all, the tight pants started with punk and moved to hXc. From the hXc scene evolved "emo" and "scene" kids.

For your daughter who is more "glam" than her friends, the word scene would and probably does apply.

Please note that not all guys who are wearing girl clothes these days are into the emo culture... i.e., my boyfriend. Just beware of the ones who start to wear girl shorts and let it all hang out...

Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Guys have been wearing girls pants way before now!! lol Especially musicians.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,998 times
People went crazy for a while there with those brown coach bags with the c's all over them. No offense to anyone but I think they're yucky! People are finally strating to get creative with the bags now. The c's are still on them but I've seen more colorful ones now. I don't like c's at all really. Coach has some really great bags without that stuff plastered all over them.

I's just SAYIN'!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM

302 posts, read 922,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
People went crazy for a while there with those brown coach bags with the c's all over them. No offense to anyone but I think they're yucky! People are finally strating to get creative with the bags now. The c's are still on them but I've seen more colorful ones now. I don't like c's at all really. Coach has some really great bags without that stuff plastered all over them.

I's just SAYIN'!
People are over the brown Coach bags with the C's? Heck, I still see plenty of them. I like the black ones though, because you can barely notice the C's at first glance.

As for me, it's either leather Coach, or no Coach. I don't do the ones with the C's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty