Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

If I only had $100 to spend at the store I would rather buy a good quality wardrobe staple like a pair of black pants or a black skirt than five different cheap items from a place like Old Navy.

I like your post.

That being said, I actually disagree with this point. If I had $100, which I do have, I would rather get several items then one. Now I understand that I am in the very different and exceptional business of wearing scrubs to work and whatever the hell I want on my off-time. Despite this, I find the whole concept of clothes to be entirely insignificant.

So at the end of the day, it's going to be dependent on how much you feel it's necessary to make an impression on other people based on what you're wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
I'm not sure how high-end OP means, but I'm amazed at how many women carry designer purses, myself included. My wife and I like to go to festivals, carnivals, and such, and I'd say at least 2/3 of women carry designer bags, even if they dress casually (usually Coach, Michael Kors, and Kate Spade). I have found that designer purses are much better quality and last longer than the cheap ones. I don't like obnoxious logos, however, and the three designers purse brands I carry (Coach, Treesje, and Botkier,) have barely noticeable logos.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:47 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,044,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
There is something I am curious about and I am sure it's something you can answer. When it comes to the likes of high-end clothes/purses etc. if a woman has such but it does not have the label on it, can other women tell the difference? Say a woman was walking down the street wearing clothes she spent hundreds on, as well as a purse she spend a few hundred on but there was no visible indication such as a logo showing that it was from a very high-end brand, how likely would it be other women would be able to see a woman wearing such and realize the woman was wearing high-end stuff?

For obvious reasons men certainly wouldn't, but I do know women are typically good at noticing details and obviously are usually into fashion and the like in general more, even if they themselves don't spend near as much on such.
Yes. I am amazed at what my wife can say about someones clothes and especially purses. She has bags from some high end names. She says that clothes are tougher because you can get good material and decent tailor can reproduce the fit and finish of a much more expensive item. Its usually the accessories that she spends the most time looking at.

Generally on men she says its easy. Just see who is wearing a tailored suit and who isn't.

She can immediately tell if a bag is from a top designer or not. She can also quickly determine if its fake. I have no idea how but she has lots of experience dealing with various manufactures of fake goods in some Asian countries. She can call the fake out, tell me what grade of fake it is and where it was likely made. This is a hobby of hers at airports and on busy streets.

She claims that anyone that regularly wears the real deal can spot it easily.

A few hundred on a purse is not high end. Thats a Coach/Kate Spade/Micheal Kors etc outlet purse. Mid grade. They make lower grade products specifically made for and sold in "outlets".

High end purses are Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton etc. They start at about a grand and go up from there.

She has a non-descript purse with no logo that she spent several grand on many years ago. Honestly, to me it looks like something from Macy's or something you would buy for 20 bucks. She has had people walk up and offer to buy it for several times more than that amount and others have introduced themselves to compliment her on the purse.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Yes. I am amazed at what my wife can say about someones clothes and especially purses. She has bags from some high end names. She says that clothes are tougher because you can get good material and decent tailor can reproduce the fit and finish of a much more expensive item. Its usually the accessories that she spends the most time looking at.

Generally on men she says its easy. Just see who is wearing a tailored suit and who isn't.

She can immediately tell if a bag is from a top designer or not. She can also quickly determine if its fake. I have no idea how but she has lots of experience dealing with various manufactures of fake goods in some Asian countries. She can call the fake out, tell me what grade of fake it is and where it was likely made.

A few hundred on a purse is not high end. Thats a Coach/Kate Spade/Micheal Kors etc purse. Mid grade. They also make lower grade products specifically made for and sold in "outlets".

High end purses are Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton etc. They start at about a grand and go up from there.

She has a non-descript purse with no logo that she spent several grand on many years ago. Honestly, to me it looks like something from Macy's or something you would buy for 20 bucks. She has had people walk up and offer to buy it for several times more than that amount and others have introduced themselves to compliment her on the purse.
It's a matter of taste. I've seen those Gucci and Prada purses, and I don't care for the style. I like something a little different. Treesje and Botkier bags are well known. People are usually not even aware they are designer, but I don't carry them for others to admire. I carry them because I like them. My Coach bag was a gift. It's the only one with the visible logo. The others have internal hangtags, stitching, and zippers identifying the brand.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's a matter of taste. I've seen those Gucci and Prada purses, and I don't care for the style. I like something a little different. Treesje and Botkier bags are well known. People are usually not even aware they are designer, but I don't carry them for others to admire. I carry them because I like them. My Coach bag was a gift. It's the only one with the visible logo. The others have internal hangtags, stitching, and zippers identifying the brand.
Nope, it's not at matter of taste. You can like whatever you like, but some brands are high end and some brands are not. The brands you like are perfectly nice, they are not high end.

Personally, when I see really high end stuff (like an Hermes Birkin), I assume it's a knock off unless it's a celebrity. I'm sure I'm wrong some of the time, but I would guess that the average person walking down the street isn't carrying a $20,000 handbag

Old 12-10-2016, 11:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't think the OP is being a snob. Just asking and yes I can tell the difference between a Wal-Mart blouse and a Lord & Taylor one. My grandmother was a seamstress in a fine store in NYC. She taught us the difference between good quality and crappy quality.

If I only had $100 to spend at the store I would rather buy a good quality wardrobe staple like a pair of black pants or a black skirt than five different cheap items from a place like Old Navy.

Sometimes I luck out and find a good quality Ralph Lauren or similar at T.J. Maxx which is always fun.
There is a different problem - the $100 items aren't any nicer than the cheaper items anymore.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, it's not at matter of taste. You can like whatever you like, but some brands are high end and some brands are not. The brands you like are perfectly nice, they are not high end.

Personally, when I see really high end stuff (like an Hermes Birkin), I assume it's a knock off unless it's a celebrity. I'm sure I'm wrong some of the time, but I would guess that the average person walking down the street isn't carrying a $20,000 handbag
Depends on where you live. It is not common in the Bay Area, but not uncommon. There are lots of Louis Vuitton bags, some Chanel and the other high end brands are more rare. Not likely to see Dior here. Yes to Celine. Chloe isn't to common and neither is Ferragamo in my spottings. There are lots of Coach, Michael Kors and Kate Spade. Coach has been making bags that are a a lot nicer than the other ones in it's price point lately. And much nicer than most in the next price tier too.

I am good at recognizing purses. Clothing is harder and I live in a casual lace. Most athleisure looks the same in passing.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
^^^^ This.

You don't even have to wear them yourself. If you just see them a lot on other people or in stores, your eyes get trained on how to tell what's high end and well made. The same is true for recognizing designer items. The more you see them, the easier it is to recognize the real thing. I can spot certain designer items immediately that I've never owned because I see them around very often.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,413,269 times
Eh. I have shoes, purses and clothes that start at 1k and I regularly order from luxury retailers. Some items are better quality, other items are not worth the money they're asking. The markup on ALL OF IT is insane and I'm well aware of it.

Can I tell if someone else is wearing expensive clothing? Not really, unless it's a men's suit and it's tailored/custom made. The fabrics and cut are much more obvious than anything that's off the rack. It's something I wasn't really aware of until I met my husband. Now I'm aware of the difference.

When it comes to women, I tend to notice what I like, regardless of price.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I don't need labels to see when an article of clothing is high end. I can tell from the quality of the fabric and the construction.

High-end clothing is usually made from natural fibers such as wool, cotton, and silk. But not just any natural fibers, but the higher quality ones that are very thick, soft and heavy. This heaviness makes them drape well and have very little wrinkling.

The stitching is always very straight and even. Hems are always deeper, have invisible stitching, are very straight, clean, and look heavy and substantial. The design details have a very neat and clean finish. If the item is a print, the patterns are always carefully matched up at the seams and in areas of overlap, giving a look of continuity and neatness. The proportions are generous, in that sleeves, pant legs, and hemlines are a bit longer as if made for tall people; cuffs and collars are usually deeper. Buttons are usually larger, may have detailing or a logo etched into them, and look expensive. Zippers lie very flat and are practically invisible--unless the zipper is a style element. Pockets, too, are always very flat. Overall, the construction looks very solid. Such garments do not cling, bag, or pucker inappropriately.

Finally, the silhouette is always very smooth and flattering.
This. It is in the quality of the fabric that is used, and in the details. Details cost money to add.

Unfortunately some higher end manufacturers are now skimping on fabric and fit. A wool jacket is much more expensive than a cheaper wool blend, so guess what goes? Probably the wool. Last year I saw "boiled wool" jackets made from wool/rayon/silk and maybe some other stuff. Boiled wool is a heritage fabric that is literally boiled, or shrunken wool. Always expensive, but now, rare I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty