Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 03:03 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,979,018 times

Advertisements

I like buying the more high end things because of the quality and workmanship. When I spend my money I'd rather spend it on something that's well made and will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 03:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Yes. I am amazed at what my wife can say about someones clothes and especially purses. She has bags from some high end names. She says that clothes are tougher because you can get good material and decent tailor can reproduce the fit and finish of a much more expensive item. Its usually the accessories that she spends the most time looking at.

Generally on men she says its easy. Just see who is wearing a tailored suit and who isn't.

She can immediately tell if a bag is from a top designer or not. She can also quickly determine if its fake. I have no idea how but she has lots of experience dealing with various manufactures of fake goods in some Asian countries. She can call the fake out, tell me what grade of fake it is and where it was likely made. This is a hobby of hers at airports and on busy streets.

She claims that anyone that regularly wears the real deal can spot it easily.

A few hundred on a purse is not high end. Thats a Coach/Kate Spade/Micheal Kors etc outlet purse. Mid grade. They make lower grade products specifically made for and sold in "outlets".

High end purses are Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton etc. They start at about a grand and go up from there.

She has a non-descript purse with no logo that she spent several grand on many years ago. Honestly, to me it looks like something from Macy's or something you would buy for 20 bucks. She has had people walk up and offer to buy it for several times more than that amount and others have introduced themselves to compliment her on the purse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
High end purses are Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton etc. They start at about a grand and go up from there.

She has a non-descript purse with no logo that she spent several grand on many years ago. Honestly, to me it looks like something from Macy's or something you would buy for 20 bucks. She has had people walk up and offer to buy it for several times more than that amount and others have introduced themselves to compliment her on the purse.
OP specifically asked about purses that cost in the hundreds of dollars, not just the $1000+ purses. MK and Coach qualify. My Treesje/Botkier purses are certainly not worth that much, but they retail new for $500-$600. Women can spend however much they want on whatever they want, but spending $1K on a purse is over the top, IMO. I'm not sure if there are any differences in quality between a $1K purse and a $300 or $600 purse. It might just be the name brand that makes them worth more. I have never worn out any of my designer purses.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, it's not at matter of taste. You can like whatever you like, but some brands are high end and some brands are not. The brands you like are perfectly nice, they are not high end.

Personally, when I see really high end stuff (like an Hermes Birkin), I assume it's a knock off unless it's a celebrity. I'm sure I'm wrong some of the time, but I would guess that the average person walking down the street isn't carrying a $20,000 handbag
You have no idea who an average person is or not.
I'm sure most people who see me on the street have no idea of my net worth or think it's low merely bc I don't wear much outside of tshirts and jeans. I am a woman, but I have several male friends who are the same. T shirts, cargo shorts, and millions of dollars.
Bc the whole point of money is doing what you want and not giving 2 sh**s what others think.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:26 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
There is something I am curious about and I am sure it's something you can answer. When it comes to the likes of high-end clothes/purses etc. if a woman has such but it does not have the label on it, can other women tell the difference? Say a woman was walking down the street wearing clothes she spent hundreds on, as well as a purse she spend a few hundred on but there was no visible indication such as a logo showing that it was from a very high-end brand, how likely would it be other women would be able to see a woman wearing such and realize the woman was wearing high-end stuff?

For obvious reasons men certainly wouldn't, but I do know women are typically good at noticing details and obviously are usually into fashion and the like in general more, even if they themselves don't spend near as much on such.
Sometimes. And YES...SOME MEN CAN TELL.

Men are more adept at telling the difference in quality between things that are highly visible and similar to what he wears, like a blouse. He will notice the buttons, the closures, the fabric, the construction. He won't notice if the shoes are high quality or the pants. Those are less noticeable.

I can spot a quality purse SOMETIMES. It's the construction...not the material it's made of. And the bottom, if I see the bottom.

I can spot a quality suit jacket by the cut and the fabric and buttons and button holes.

But many things are indistinguishable. Black pants, certain kinds of purses or totes, some blouses, jeans. And sometimes the less expensive items look better quality. Esp. if they fit well.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP specifically asked about purses that cost in the hundreds of dollars, not just the $1000+ purses. MK and Coach qualify. My Treesje/Botkier purses are certainly not worth that much, but they retail new for $500-$600. Women can spend however much they want on whatever they want, but spending $1K on a purse is over the top, IMO. I'm not sure if there are any differences in quality between a $1K purse and a $300 or $600 purse. It might just be the name brand that makes them worth more. I have never worn out any of my designer purses.
The expenses of an item is subjective to what one can comfortably afford to pay for it
A $1,000.00 purse for some may not be any more of a financial burden than for another who buys a $300 to
600.00 purse. I am sure that you will find a lot of people who would think paying even 300 to 600 dollars for a purse over the top as well.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Eh. I have shoes, purses and clothes that start at 1k and I regularly order from luxury retailers. Some items are better quality, other items are not worth the money they're asking. The markup on ALL OF IT is insane and I'm well aware of it.

Can I tell if someone else is wearing expensive clothing? Not really, unless it's a men's suit and it's tailored/custom made. The fabrics and cut are much more obvious than anything that's off the rack. It's something I wasn't really aware of until I met my husband. Now I'm aware of the difference.

When it comes to women, I tend to notice what I like, regardless of price.
I think women get the short end of the stick in terms of quality and longevity. Price and quality don't always mix.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This. It is in the quality of the fabric that is used, and in the details. Details cost money to add.

Unfortunately some higher end manufacturers are now skimping on fabric and fit. A wool jacket is much more expensive than a cheaper wool blend, so guess what goes? Probably the wool. Last year I saw "boiled wool" jackets made from wool/rayon/silk and maybe some other stuff. Boiled wool is a heritage fabric that is literally boiled, or shrunken wool. Always expensive, but now, rare I suppose.
I hadn't seen or heard about boiled wool till this year. I ended up getting a boiled wool cardigan from a warehouse sale that was well priced. Super versatile for our schizo weather.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are though the breaking point is more like $1200. Most of the brands priced between $600-$1200 aren't any nicer than Coach. But if you compare Michael Kors regular bags to the Collection ones, you can immediately tell the difference.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:15 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not pay attention to others clothing or accessories while out in public so I would never notice.
I have more important tasks at hand than to judge someone on such trivial things.

hmmm.
That being the case, it's odd you bothered to click on the thread unless your point/important task was to try to make others seem inferior.

I doubt that it worked.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:14 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,133,503 times
No. Honestly, most high end clothing/purses/shoes aren't much better. It's like anything. If I'm selling for 400 dollars, I can afford to have a sale for it to be about 200. The shoes were really about 50-100 dollars to make. Not much more than the shoes that sell for 30 dollars a pair. They both come from a cow (for leather). It's like there's some magical flying unicorn that is made into leather for pricey shoes/clothes/purses. Most truly rich people (I've known a few millionaires. A few even born into rich families) don't waste money on things that depreciate in value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty