Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Hey ladies. I got some on going Bra drama I need to advise on. Today while at work all of a sudden I heard an dreadful little snap nose and there it went.... another bra bit the dust! The underwire in one cup of the bra snapped .. which pretty much means that soon the wire would be poking out and scratching or cutting me.

I refuse to hand wash my bras. I have a wear once then wash policy for anything especially bras.. but have a front loading washer which I was told is more gentle on my clothes ( this may be BS as the person selling the machine expressed this).

So here is the problem when the underwire in the bra breaks or the metal starts poking through the side is the bra a lost cause or has anyone created a way to fix this issue? I spend a lot on bras over the years and have some really nice ones that I have had one cup that has had the underwire break. Has anyone one figured out how to fix this situation?

Please note comments like " I don't wash my bras every day", " I hand wash my bras", "I don't wear an underwire bra" or "I don't wear a bra at all" are really not helpful in addressing the question ... so no need to share these comments as I am not looking to change my habits, but save some pretty underwire bras from the dumpster.

Thanks in advance for helping to save pretty underwire bras everywhere !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Are your underwires poking through the outside edge of the bra? Once I sewed the edge several times with some dental floss.

It's pretty strong and the wire stayed put!

If the underwire snaps in half and you require an underwire - save a wire from your old bras, insert and sew it in.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
You have to wash them in a special thing. It's like those net bags, but it has plastic supports so it keeps its shape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ASIX8I...a-273839579491

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...FZCKswodZ3YPuA

Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Just FYI ... I would definitely try to at least sew/secure the underwire back in the bra because an underwire can get lodged in the motor of the washer and ruin it.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
One thing that will help is to use a lingerie bag. Clasp your bras and put them in the bag and zip it up. They'll take much less abuse in the washing machine that way.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hey ladies. I got some on going Bra drama I need to advise on. Today while at work all of a sudden I heard an dreadful little snap nose and there it went.... another bra bit the dust! The underwire in one cup of the bra snapped .. which pretty much means that soon the wire would be poking out and scratching or cutting me.

I refuse to hand wash my bras. I have a wear once then wash policy for anything especially bras.. but have a front loading washer which I was told is more gentle on my clothes ( this may be BS as the person selling the machine expressed this).

So here is the problem when the underwire in the bra breaks or the metal starts poking through the side is the bra a lost cause or has anyone created a way to fix this issue? I spend a lot on bras over the years and have some really nice ones that I have had one cup that has had the underwire break. Has anyone one figured out how to fix this situation?

Please note comments like " I don't wash my bras every day", " I hand wash my bras", "I don't wear an underwire bra" or "I don't wear a bra at all" are really not helpful in addressing the question ... so no need to share these comments as I am not looking to change my habits, but save some pretty underwire bras from the dumpster.

Thanks in advance for helping to save pretty underwire bras everywhere !
I wear underwire bras, and I have for many years. I know that underwires poke through eventually, but I don't have that problem until I've worn the bra for more than two or more years. I have tried to fix this, but I can't. If you are having continual problems with this, I do have a few thoughts though.

Buy a slightly better quality bra. I know bras have gotten horribly expensive, but I think more expensive bras wear better.

When you wash your bras in the machine, as I do, air dry them on a hanger overnight.

Own and wear at least 3-4 bras instead of wearing only one every day.

Consider whether your bras are a size too small either in the cups or band.

If you are doing these things already, then I respectfully suggest you wash your bras after two or three wearings.

You can pull the wire out, and wear it as a non underwire bra. I wouldn't do that, but I don't know why it could not be done.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
I have never tried it, but I've seen on Pinterest that an easy fix for underwires poking out is to repair it with moleskin.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

You can pull the wire out, and wear it as a non underwire bra. I wouldn't do that, but I don't know why it could not be done.
Been there, done that. Works in a pinch, but the fit and more importantly the 'lift' is just not there, it's not as figure flattering for fuller figures.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
One thing that will help is to use a lingerie bag. Clasp your bras and put them in the bag and zip it up. They'll take much less abuse in the washing machine that way.
Agree about the bag. I alternate hand washing and the bag. And do not put the bras in the dryer. Air dry! Unlined ones dry fast.

Some brands will give you a replacement wire if you don't mind opening and rest itching the bra.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
I always preferred front loading washing machines because I thought they were more harsh on clothes: rolling around and crashing into each other.

Wife buys Lane Bryant bras, washes them in the front loader, then hangs them on a rack to dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty