Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,253,746 times

Advertisements

Some of my "go to" summer dresses have worn out and I'm in AZ (we've already seen 116 degrees ) so I need to have some comfy, easy care, cool clothing to throw on.

Any ideas? I tend to be curvy but have gotten a little larger around the middle since menopause and am a 14 or L/XL now

I like clear spring-like colors and want something flattering (prefer lowish v neck, or cross over at bust as I have a short neck). I don't mind spending a bit for a good quality dress.

Any ideas?

P.S. I wear a lot of Chalet crinkle cotton pants and tops/tunics but their dresses aren't right for me somehow.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 07-02-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
OP, take a look at this site. There are more selections in their catalog. Take a look at their batik sleeveless dresses; they might work for you. Choice of a variety of colors.
Search Results on 'summer dresses' | Norm Thompson

http://normthompson.blair.com/p/wome...summer+dresses

Occasionally, they have some nice, slightly dressier dresses.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:25 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,253,746 times
Thanks Ruth, I don't like buttons all the way down (my experience has been that sometimes they gape), otherwise those batik dresses are very cute.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks Ruth, I don't like buttons all the way down (my experience has been that sometimes they gape), otherwise those batik dresses are very cute.
They're a good one to keep your eye on from time to time. Here's another; this one is aimed at women 50+. You might find something there, though their main thing seems to be tunics. https://www.softsurroundings.com/?ai...FQsQaQodPLQKBQ

Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,809,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're a good one to keep your eye on from time to time. Here's another; this one is aimed at women 50+. You might find something there, though their main thing seems to be tunics. https://www.softsurroundings.com/?ai...FQsQaQodPLQKBQ
Soft Surroundings has beautiful things. I can't afford it except second hand though. Linen is the coolest fabric but you have to iron it and it wrinkles very easily. But there are linen knits--light and cool and no ironing required. J. Jill linen V neck top with a long cotton skirt. Probably J. Jill has linen knit dresses too. I tend to look on their website and then try to find the same thing second hand on some place like ebay. The main thing to remember about linen is not to get WOVEN because it wrinkles very easily. Get LINEN KNIT.

Women's apparel, accessories, and footwear from J.Jill

I like Fresh Produce brand for cotton dresses and skirts. Fresh Produce makes mostly summer wear, often beach wear, but it's cool, pretty, and practical. Resort & Vacation Wear | Women's Clothing | Fresh Produce They specialize in warm weather dressing. Again, it's expensive but you can find it like new elsewhere online.

Just make sure not to get something that needs ironing--unless you enjoy ironing--that excludes rayon and woven linen, woven cotton. I wear Fresh Produce capris made of thin woven cotton sheeting and just hang them to dry--no ironing required.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:28 PM

29,777 posts, read 34,535,589 times
Land's End always has cute, easy care dresses, and they usually have sales: https://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-dresses/-/N-fy7?cm_re=lec-_-wms-_-global-_-glbnv-dresses-_-20160316-_-txt

Old 07-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Soft Surroundings has beautiful things. I can't afford it except second hand though. Linen is the coolest fabric but you have to iron it and it wrinkles very easily. But there are linen knits--light and cool and no ironing required. J. Jill linen V neck top with a long cotton skirt. Probably J. Jill has linen knit dresses too. I tend to look on their website and then try to find the same thing second hand on some place like ebay. The main thing to remember about linen is not to get WOVEN because it wrinkles very easily. Get LINEN KNIT.

Women's apparel, accessories, and footwear from J.Jill

I like Fresh Produce brand for cotton dresses and skirts. Fresh Produce makes mostly summer wear, often beach wear, but it's cool, pretty, and practical. Resort & Vacation Wear | Women's Clothing | Fresh Produce They specialize in warm weather dressing. Again, it's expensive but you can find it like new elsewhere online.

Just make sure not to get something that needs ironing--unless you enjoy ironing--that excludes rayon and woven linen, woven cotton. I wear Fresh Produce capris made of thin woven cotton sheeting and just hang them to dry--no ironing required.
I actually thing Soft Surroundings' items are overpriced for the quality and 3rd-world manufacturing; many items are from Indonesia and India, where the same items sell for $20 instead of $89, but the OP said she was able to pay more for the right item. Sometimes they have items that are of good quality, and nice fabric and design.

I agree with you completely about linen & linen knit. I wish the catalogs didn't go so heavily for linen. Some of them don't, and have more cotton or rayon items.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:57 PM

5,344 posts, read 8,576,542 times
Eshakti- for $10 you can have any dress tailored to your measurements, change the sleeve style/length, the neckline, and length of dress ... they have all sorts of styles, fabrics and colors...

Women's Fashion Clothing 0-36W and Custom

Old 07-02-2017, 02:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,641,511 times
I like Soft Surroundings, too. J Jill also has some nice things, but they don't make clothing for women with bigger busts - I've had to return 2 of the dresses I bought from them because while my hips had plenty of room my bust was squashed!

But my recent discovery is Marketplace Handwork of India All cotton, comfortable dresses, tops, and skirts that are easy to wear at home and are wearable for out and about, too (though not for fancy). I ordered several dresses and other items from them and am very pleased - I love this cool, airy cotton stuff! I'm someone who always prefers natural fibers next to my body.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:25 PM

24,796 posts, read 11,170,008 times
I found what you seem to be looking for at of all places SAMs. Crinkle cotton, some cotton crochet, elastic smocked waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty