Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't mind online shopping, but I rarely buy clothes from Amazon. And I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but I do try to actually go shopping and support the businesses that are employing local people, rather than do everything online and only benefit the UPS drivers.
Note that Amazon is building a fulfillment and sortation center network in many major cities, so in many major cities Amazon is in fact employing local people. Even many items sold by third parties are stored in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and these sellers pay a fee to have their items stored and fulfilled by Amazon, with Amazon employees handling the fulfillment and shipping.

And Amazon doesn't only use UPS for shipping. In many major metropolitan areas (particularly those which have a sortation center or delivery stations present), Amazon seems to be using UPS less often now. More often these areas will use the USPS or Amazon Logistics for the last mile, with Amazon's linehaul network and/or Prime Air handling the rest of the shipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:23 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
For some reason I have never bought clothing from amazon, even though I buy most of my clothes on-line.

For clothes on-line I tend to shop at:

Target
Old Navy
Land's End
Zappos
Ann Taylor LOFT
Macy's
JCP

Old 08-05-2017, 01:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I just bought an item of clothing on Amazon yesterday. First I found it at the Hanes One Place site, Bras | Panties | Hosiery | Shapewear | OneHanesPlace.com Then I read the shipping and returns rules, and decided to find it, if I could, with free shipping and free returns.

Voila! Amazon had the same item and I should receive it on Monday.

I like that I could shop the Hanes site, verify the size I need, and then find it on Amazon with free shipping and free returns. I hope I don't have to return, but if I do I am covered.

Hanes dings returns $6.99. That is not so bad if you order several things, but if you order just one thing, I think that amount is high.

This is the first garment I've ever ordered using Amazon. I am a Prime member.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:26 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
For some reason I have never bought clothing from amazon, even though I buy most of my clothes on-line.

For clothes on-line I tend to shop at:

Target
Old Navy
Land's End
Zappos
Ann Taylor LOFT
Macy's
JCP

Zappos is an Amazon Company

I shop plenty of places online including Nordstrom's, Nordstrom's Rack, Macy's and of course, Amazon. I tend to stick to stores that have generous return policies.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 AM

136 posts, read 146,264 times
Im leery of buying clothes from Amazon. Lots of clothes are from China, where sizes are vastly different than USA sizes, and lots of clothes I found say that Asian models were modeling so try to compare to your countries sizes (something of that effect).

I tried a lot of other brands but its hard to judge. Most I had to send back. I kept 1 shirt so far because it actually fit perfectly (can't think of the name of brand). Since a few years ago (around 3 years ago), I don't go to Amazon anymore. I find that actual stores are better because I can go into physical location and try stuff on, so when I order online, I know if I can get item. If I could, what size I am. Even I am between 2 sizes then I can get both and hope 1 of the sizes would be good.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I'm not a brands shopper. Many listings clearly indicate Asian sizing. So you have to know your measurements, look at the PHOTO of the size chart and then possibly buy the next size up.

I still prefer this to driving to stores.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Im leery of buying clothes from Amazon. Lots of clothes are from China, where sizes are vastly different than USA sizes, and lots of clothes I found say that Asian models were modeling so try to compare to your countries sizes (something of that effect).

I tried a lot of other brands but its hard to judge. Most I had to send back. I kept 1 shirt so far because it actually fit perfectly (can't think of the name of brand). Since a few years ago (around 3 years ago), I don't go to Amazon anymore. I find that actual stores are better because I can go into physical location and try stuff on, so when I order online, I know if I can get item. If I could, what size I am. Even I am between 2 sizes then I can get both and hope 1 of the sizes would be good.
I've had good luck with IZOD from Amazon, however, that is because I buy "Ships and Sold from Amazon". I once bought Nautica on Amazon as well, although I can't remember who was the seller (I think though it was Amazon directly). I never buy unknown Chinese brands of clothing.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:59 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
I boycott Amazon as they charge sales tax now
I enjoyed the no taxes with Oklahoma but now we pay sales tax. But that isn't up to Amazon. They had no on the ground offices or shipping setup before and now are building a fuffillment area and employing a bunch of people. Prices on Amazon have not changed.

If your state now takes sales tax, don't blame Amazon, blame your state government who wanted them to establish themselves in the state.

Given that things like schools are getting cut way beyond what is good for the kids here, with the tax income low, I don't mind at all being able to get my stuff from Amazon the same but maybe the state coffers will be in less of a state of emergency.

I really miss the age of big malls. We used to go there for the day, do some shopping, see a movie, visit the bookstore and the jewelry store and then get dinner, all in an enclosed mall while it was over 100 outside. But most of that was window shopping since the jewelrey and most of the books were over budget. We did enjoy the food as it was dinner out, and stuff we usually didn't fix at home, but overall much of the mall stores didn't make anything from us enjoying their ac. It too bad that some couldn't just stay put and be more direct social centers with activities for individual clubs or larger groups since they'd still be perfect for it.

But now I can live in a little town with little shopping other than a smallish Walmart and get anything I need with quality products offered and compared with reviews, at good prices and they show up in a box in front of my door in a few days. What's interesting is it takes the central organization away from individual brick and mortor stores to an online one which gives them all an even chance and the best prices for consumers. The tv has also had a bunch of advertising from other online sellers in direct competition with Amazon, so the consumer is going to win.

If it wasn't for Amazon, especially, it would be much much harder to live in this area as it would require a long drive to a specialty store to get anything, for not everyone has the car or the money to take the drive.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've bought several clothing items from Amazon; loose tunics and leggings, and even some shoes.

The shoes have been tricky; 2 pairs, same size, same brand--one too big, other too small. I now make sure returns are free.
I buy my winter boots from Amazon now. I used to have to go looking since it was winter before they went on sale. I wanted them broken in before that. And Bearpaw boots are as well made as the top brands but don't cost as much. But I have actually worn out a few pairs. In the winter they are worn all the time, in the summer they get to be yard boots.

I did know the size already, of course, but the fit varies between the styles, so I stick with the lined ones and know they'll fit. They offer free replacement if they don't.

As I like their boots and pretty much live in them, I just buy the same size over and over. I've never bought clothes unless its something I already wore and knew the size, but would take a guess on a winter jacket as if its a bit large its not a problem. Stuff like jeans, I always have to try on so if I get a good price I won't buy online unless its not just a size but multiple meansurements too, like Levi's does.

The thing is, this is the wave of the future and I can see a 'store' with stuff like clothes you can check the fit of and then order from online sellers who let you look and then order.

What I'm looking forward to is when they have full grocery shipping, including fresh and frozen. Walmart is setting up a system by which you order and employess will be paid to deliver the cold or fresh food to you directly. For one without a car, that sounds ideal. It would be a boon to areas where transportation can be a problem if you don't have your own.

Yesterday evening, I did most of the monthly grocery shopping from Walmarts new grocery system. They sell whats in all stores but also the stuff which won't be in the local one as its not as large a store, and you can buy anything which Walmart sells online as part of your shipment. Then it all ends up delivered in a box to my door in a couple of days. No buying stuff you didn't need, finding empty spaces or forgetting something because the kiddo distracted you.

If the local dairy who provides the milk would deliver it would be perfect.

This is much better than going to the store and still needing half the list, and gives one time to really decide if they want it.

Right now, the whole structure of retail is changing, especially with online options, and there are holes now since its so new that its just establishing itself. But it will not go away and retail will always have a market, which its going to change and adjust, but I do think the grocery store, especially for fresh items will remain. It will just not be the primary way to shop for some, as for some of us already it has already has become for some.

What I find is when I do my grocery shopping online, I actually spend less since I have my list and know how much I need, and don't get enticed by the stuff I don't at this moment which looke soooo good and its only a couple of dollars..... (which can add up).

Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I buy a lot of things from Amazon but not clothes as sizes vary greatly in Women's clothing in my experience. I like to try on. I do buy some clothing for my husband on Amazon and on Lands End and have purchased sandals and shoes. I also pretty much know prices. For example I got Neutrogena Makeup Remover for much less than I could even get it at Walmart never mind what I pay for it at Publix. It's the only one I like as the generic and even other brands feel terrible on my face. You can find just about anything on Amazon but be careful of third party sellers claiming to give free shipping but only if you want to wait a month for the product. They charge an outrageous amount for shipping otherwise.

I do love Amazon though, they have rectified a couple of issues I have had very quickly.
If its not amazon and it says free shipping, I check out and watch, and if it doesn't clearly state it in the message and price, I close the window. Some will say 'with exceptions' without telling you what they are too. Mostly I buy from Amazon associated businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty