Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM

666 posts, read 512,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yeah, I always thought Donatella looks like Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. That photo of her actually looks way better than the majority of photos I have seen. She literally looks scary, with all of the plastic surgery she has had done.
She definitely had some more work done. She looks a million times better now than she did years ago:

Donatella Versace

This is when she was at her worst:

Old 02-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, they were a mod fashion item for women and girls. They were an alternative to tights and girls were allowed to wear them before they were allowed to wear pantyhose.
Here we go again with people being dishonest, pretending as if they didn't understand that when I was talking about fishnets earlier, I was talking about the type of black fishnets that everyone knows is associated with boudoir, lingerie, etc.

And not this:

But let's pretend I wasn't talking about that.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I just wanted to add - this woman (whoever she is) is the only one of the 4 examples given who looks like she actually is comfortable in her own skin and comfortable with her body image.

I agree. She looks cool (physically cool, as in, it looks like it must be summer), she's totally relaxed, smiling...I don't really see the problem. KWIM?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
She definitely had some more work done. She looks a million times better now than she did years ago:

Donatella Versace

This is when she was at her worst:
So...this is the acceptable way to age gracefully?

As opposed to, like...wearing shorts? Or boots.

Well, at least now we know what's acceptable and NOT "goofy" or "trying to look younger." I'll book my appointment right now! I'm going to go get a thousand procedures done, one due to something vaguely medical, namely: years of snuffling back a lot of blow, plus something with the lips like a dozen times and something with the shiny-skin (def. peels) a few dozen times and maybe some boob stuff and some arm stuff and a few other things. Then I'll stuff myself into a $10,000 gold dress.

Because I don't want to wear shorts instead. That would be just embarrassing! People will guess I'm trying too hard.

You learn a lot on this forum. Wouldn't want to make a faux pas...so thank you.

Legitimate lesson: when you're being put in your place about fashion, be sure of that person's fashion sense and sense of grace and "appropriate" before taking it all to heart.

Look, I'm not putting Donatella down. She wants procedures? Get procedures. She can afford $10, $20K on a dress? Good. She overcame a drug addiction? Now that part I really can get behind - that's admirable. But to put her up as the "appropriate" way to "dress" for an over-50 woman v. wearing shorts and boots? And saying a woman in a tank top is trying waaaay "too hard to look young" but a million or two in plastic surgery just in the past few years alone plus literally a gold Oscars or Emmys dress is the right way to go for, erm...not trying too hard to look young?

I dunno, folks. All I can say is, this place gets more entertaining all the time.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-13-2018 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 07:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Here we go again with people being dishonest, pretending as if they didn't understand that when I was talking about fishnets earlier, I was talking about the type of black fishnets that everyone knows is associated with boudoir, lingerie, etc.

I don't think anyone was being intentionally dishonest, just not mind readers about what you were thinking of. When I was a girl in elementary school in the 1950's before the invention of seamless panty hose as we know them today, girls wore long or thigh high socks / sheer stockings / black fishnets that had seams in the back and ALL were held up with garter belts. And the pull up waist high tights were made of a much heavier fabric than what tights are made of now. The seamed black fishnet stockings you posted are just like what we wore then as school girls. Then, when panty hose became all the rage in the early 60's the thigh high fishnets phased over into having elastic at the top (no more garter belts, hooray) and then into panty fishnets with seams, and then without seams and then the manufacturers started incorporating a lot more interesting lacework designs into them. None of them were associated with boudoir, lingerie, etc. and they were quite acceptable in elementary and high school.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to add - this woman (whoever she is) is the only one of the 4 examples given who looks like she actually is comfortable in her own skin and comfortable with her body image.
She's not comfortable in her own skin. She's the kind of delusional slob who doesn't look in the mirror before she goes out because she thinks she's "all that", kind like this person:

Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Oh snap! LOL. Those two don't look anything alike.

I think they just don't care about the same things that fashion snobs get their knickers in a twist over.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I wasn't scorning her. I was just thinking about this topic when I looked at her.
And for the record, I had no interaction with her at all, so I didn't look down my nose at her, or encourage her. She did her thing and I did mine.
So I guess you were at Planet Fitness?
"judgement free zone"

Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
So I guess you were at Planet Fitness?
"judgement free zone"
No, a local gym, but with a similar vibe.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:18 AM

88,547 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
I had to look her up on internet and look at a bunch of other pictures.

Hard to believe that is a real woman though. She has the hips, hands and feet and a jawline and skull and facial bone structure like that of a man, and the rest of the body structure doesn't look like a natural woman's frame, it's all out of whack.

I don't think the heavy black eye makeup and the way she dresses like a Barbie Doll does her any favours no matter what her age is, it's done the exact opposite and made her look harsher and freakish and clearly she doesn't seem to realize that.

Whether or not that is really a woman or a man (I still have my doubts) I feel rather sorry for the poor thing. She might be famous but I think she's really messed up and has misplaced and unhealthy priorities about natural body image. It's like she's been over-compensating for what she lacks, trying to make her body look like a Barbie Doll to make up for her unfortunate mannish features and ended up with her whole body being out of natural kilter.

Poor thing.

Ha. I never heard of her designer brother, (Gianni) Versace until he was murdered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.