Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 06:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
what's the problem?
I suppose the problem is that even today all of society feels like they have the right to police what women look like.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I'm not reading 8 pages of response but honestly, I cringe to see very low cut blouses and booty shorts and ANYONE out in public. Hey, if it's an outdoor festival or some special occasion/party, go for it. But please spare me the sight of your boobs and butt hanging out. (on the other hand, it's pretty appetite killing for me so I could use it as a dieting tool)

So I'm in the OFF crowd (over f'ing fifty) and was in the best shape of my life on a deployment to Kuwait in 2011. My roommate (we were in the Guard) was a little bit younger and unaccustomed to being in good shape (forced physical training). She'd don her bikini and "lay out" (show off) at the pool. Um, no. I'd climb on the roof of our carpenter shop on my day off to sun (for a half hour, it was 130°) and if I wanted to swim I'd put on a one piece and go when the crowd was thin.

Anyway, I guess, for some people, they paid good money for those curves, they have a right to expose them in public. I find it totally unappealing. And not appropriate. And at a "certain age" just stop. (my opinion - which is what this is all about anyway, right?)

Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Im still with the old saying... its what you dont see that makes it sexy.... Ive never liked clothes to shock or get attention... I like classy looking stuff that flatters my body.. and covers me arms, hate my arms now Im 70... Now we have celebs on the red carpet looking like hookers... or just silly dresses to get more attention and media coverage... I wish people would think before they pull on showy cheap tacky clothes.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I suppose the problem is that even today all of society feels like they have the right to police what women look like.

True, but many like to police what women and men look like.

For the record, I don't dress in a revealing manner. I never did; it's just "not me." That doesn't mean I haven't been silently aghast at some things I've seen. Or that I didn't "police" lol MY kids' choices. Years ago, I saw a teen shopping with an older woman (presumably her mom), and the girl's t-shirt had Don't tell me you don't want this emblazoned across her chest. If you think I would have allowed that, think again.

And it's the pigeonholing of adult women's fashion/makeup choices that gets me, anyway. The OP said that she thought the woman in question was 40-45. Maybe she was the OP's acceptable age of 30.

Stop the pigeonholing!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and yes it's nobody's business what you wear. That does not mean people are not going to judge your appearance, it is human nature. That said, in my opinion, most Americans either don't care about their appearance or, have very poor taste.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm not reading 8 pages of response but honestly, I cringe to see very low cut blouses and booty shorts and ANYONE out in public. Hey, if it's an outdoor festival or some special occasion/party, go for it. But please spare me the sight of your boobs and butt hanging out. (on the other hand, it's pretty appetite killing for me so I could use it as a dieting tool)

So I'm in the OFF crowd (over f'ing fifty) and was in the best shape of my life on a deployment to Kuwait in 2011. My roommate (we were in the Guard) was a little bit younger and unaccustomed to being in good shape (forced physical training). She'd don her bikini and "lay out" (show off) at the pool. Um, no. I'd climb on the roof of our carpenter shop on my day off to sun (for a half hour, it was 130°) and if I wanted to swim I'd put on a one piece and go when the crowd was thin.

Anyway, I guess, for some people, they paid good money for those curves, they have a right to expose them in public. I find it totally unappealing. And not appropriate. And at a "certain age" just stop. (my opinion - which is what this is all about anyway, right?)
off topic - but were you at Ali Al Salem? If so, I remember the pool there.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Deja Vu - Seems I have read this exact post many times before on this forum. And my answer always is:

I am in my 60s and I wear WTF I want. Nobody's business but my own (as long as I'm not breaking any laws lol).
In my 60s, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I'm sickened by some of the garbage I see people wearing these days. It's either too trashy or too provocative. Dignity and self-pride is no longer fashionable, I guess.
If only they would clean themselves to include their hair though, I can just turn my eyes away to escape it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is about as appropriate as any woman any age wearing the same outfit or a man going without a shirt in a public place that is not a beach or pool.
Otherwise it is generally best to tend to your own life and clothing and not worry with the things others are doing.
Or a woman whose top extends bar over the top of her jeans back and front, sort of bordering on 'no shirt, no service" in the grocery store.

If they would just practice good hygiene, which does sometimes impact me, family and friends need to tackle the lack of taste.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Not having read everyone's responses, I'll weigh in. It's not that people don't have the right to wear whatever they choose at whatever age - they do. It's that on an older woman, extremely revealing clothes look trashy and makes the woman look desperate and not comfortable with her age. Like she's trying to compete with a 20 year old.

After a certain age, the look older women should be aiming for is elegance and class. If you have a great body, your clothes will show it if you choose ones that showcase your figure, without exposing it.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not having read everyone's responses, I'll weigh in. It's not that people don't have the right to wear whatever they choose at whatever age - they do. It's that on an older woman, extremely revealing clothes look trashy and makes the woman look desperate and not comfortable with her age. Like she's trying to compete with a 20 year old.

After a certain age, the look older women should be aiming for is elegance and class. If you have a great body, your clothes will show it if you choose ones that showcase your figure, without exposing it.
Why doesn't it look trashy on everyone regardless of age?

Compete? Your assumptions are based on what you think these women's motivations are. So you think young women wear tight, skimpy clothes to compete? Don't you think that's as sick as an older woman doing it?

Why should older women be elegant? Why shouldn't everyone be elegant? Why them specifically?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why doesn't it look trashy on everyone regardless of age?

Compete? Your assumptions are based on what you think these women's motivations are. So you think young women wear tight, skimpy clothes to compete? Don't you think that's as sick as an older woman doing it?

Why should older women be elegant? Why shouldn't everyone be elegant? Why them specifically?
Wow, where did this come from?

Yes, I DO think some young 20 somethings dress skimpily to attract men and compete with each other. I work with a bunch of them and see it every day. However, did I say anything that led you to believe I agree with ANYONE dressing trashy? Didn't think so. The subject of this thread was "Can we talk about older women and the appropriateness of wearing skimpy/revealing clothes". Which I addressed.

Sorry if it wasn't some type of manifesto on appropriate wear for all females, regardless of age. But since you ask, I don't think revealing clothes are appropriate for any age. I make a few more allowances for the younger set, since their role models seem to walk around half naked and the younger women try to emulate them. In time, they'll develop their own style (with hopefully more modesty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty