Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:36 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,689,816 times

Advertisements

Last month I was behind this woman that was in her 70's (our husbands were in a discussion), and she was the saddest attempt to looking young that I had ever seen.

Her long hair, which wasn't particularly pretty, was dyed pitch black with a bandana tied around her head 70's style, a pair of 70's style pants, a tank top, and sandals on a pair of the ugliest feet I'd ever seen. She may have had a nice trim shape in her youth but now she looked bony and with very aged skin. Her face looked old. I told my husband later that if I ever start to do that, just shoot me.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:38 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
Are booty shorts EVER appropriate? Why get on the case of older women, or in your example, women who can barely be called "older"?

The fact is, OP, some people just don't have good taste, or they don't care. And in your example, it sounds like she looked just fine, anyway, but we weren't there, we didn't see her, so we can't say for sure. You won't be able to change people making whatever choices they see fit. Ranting about it online won't achieve anything. This is life. Get used to it.

Do I think the 40+ aged guys wearing skateboarder clothes or hipster clothes look ridiculous? How about the 50-something grey-haired guy carrying his skateboard at the library, then skating away on it? But there are always going to be people making clothing choices that seem weird or offensive or age-inappropriate to us. Welcome to the world. Nobody said it would be a smooth ride, or tailor-made to suit you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-30-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Last month I was behind this woman that was in her 70's (our husbands were in a discussion), and she was the saddest attempt to looking young that I had ever seen.

Her long hair, which wasn't particularly pretty, was dyed pitch black with a bandana tied around her head 70's style, a pair of 70's style pants, a tank top, and sandals on a pair of the ugliest feet I'd ever seen. She may have had a nice trim shape in her youth but now she looked bony and with very aged skin. Her face looked old. I told my husband later that if I ever start to do that, just shoot me.
Maybe she wasn't trying to look "young", she may just like that style. To each their own. And you say that (bolded) now, but let's see what you do when you get to be her age - I actually know women in their 80s who look fantastic, they keep trim and fit by dancing a lot and wear attractive flattering clothing appropriate for the occasion/venue.

As far as the original post and "booty" shorts - as I said I wear what I want however I do NOT wear "booty shorts". I don't have the figure for those and never did. I wear what I like that I feel flatters my figure even if it is a "young" style, including some fairly short dresses. I happen to live in Florida, in a wealthy area where many women take care of themselves and look great well into their 80s, believe it or not. And they like to dress "young."

Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,235,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do I think the 40+ aged guys wearing skateboarder clothes or hipster clothes look ridiculous? How about the 50-something grey-haired guy carrying his skateboard at the library, then skating away on it? But there are always going to be people making clothing choices that seem weird or offensive or age-inappropriate to us. Welcome to the world. Nobody said it would be a smooth ride, or tailor-made to suit you.
As a male in his 40's yeah I find that ridiculous. As well I find guys my age group or older with ponytails just laughably. Please cut your tail off.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:55 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,689,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Maybe she wasn't trying to look "young", she may just like that style. To each their own. And you say that (bolded) now, but let's see what you do when you get to be her age - I actually know women in their 80s who look fantastic, they keep trim and fit by dancing a lot and wear attractive flattering clothing appropriate for the occasion/venue.

As far as the original post and "booty" shorts - as I said I wear what I want however I do NOT wear "booty shorts". I don't have the figure for those and never did. I wear what I like that I feel flatters my figure even if it is a "young" style, including some fairly short dresses. I happen to live in Florida, in a wealthy area where many women take care of themselves and look great well into their 80s, believe it or not. And they like to dress "young."
I'm 65 - not far from her age. And I try to be conscious of not looking like a desperate aging fool.

And the lady I wrote about was NOT among the elders who look fantastic! She just looked pitiful.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:57 PM

496 posts, read 554,008 times
I don't see why there has to be an age where somebody has to give up skateboarding. He's been on that board since he was 10, most likely, and is happy when he's on it. Maybe he does it to stay in shape, or just for fun. As long as he can still manage the board, and isn't a danger to himself/others...what the heck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A

Do I think the 40+ aged guys wearing skateboarder clothes or hipster clothes look ridiculous? How about the 50-something grey-haired guy carrying his skateboard at the library, then skating away on it? .

Old 09-30-2017, 01:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 948,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What's so hard about it? If you don't like it you don't have to look. Is your functional capacity improved when your eyes behold beauty? When I was about 22, this one guy ran his truck over a curb into a light pole because he was staring at me walking down the sidewalk (he was only going about 10mph; not injured).

Not that I was amazingly stunning or anything; I just feel he might have been less dysfunctional had I been elderly.

Okay; so it's sad. It's not something that should be taken so personally. Women are hardly the sole offenders with this: There is always a "Too Much Cologne Guy" lurking around. A Mr. Mid-Life Crisis on a Harley Guy & the inevitable "Comb-Over at the Club Dude". The other day I was stared down by an obviously 40-something guy who was trying to pull off Vanilla Ice; ack!

And it's almost worse, as a woman, to see young women who are trying too hard, because you know that they are already a slave to negative attention. It's only downhill from there. I used to be like that; it makes me cringe to see some of the pictures in my parents photo albums (what was I thinking!).

I envy the husband; he's 61 & despite being an "odd" size not normally found in retail stores (pants: 38 x 38), he has worn the same cut of Wranglers since he was 18 ... from what I can tell from photos, they looked great then as they do now. But 99% of the stuff marketed to women? Wouldn't look good on anyone of any age; unless they had the figure of a 12 year old boy ... "Muffin tops" are no more attractive on an 18 year old than a 48 year old.
This post made me laugh (in a good way), and I agree 1000% with your points.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I don't see why there has to be an age where somebody has to give up skateboarding. He's been on that board since he was 10, most likely, and is happy when he's on it. Maybe he does it to stay in shape, or just for fun. As long as he can still manage the board, and isn't a danger to himself/others...what the heck?
I know.
Now we can't wear what we want or skateboard.

This is getting wacky.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,408,412 times
Sure, they can wear whatever they want, and I wouldn't say anything. But I'd think they were rather desperate. After age 40, I'd hate to be spending time in nightclubs wearing mini skirts and tight pants. And by age 50, these women should be concerned about bones breaking if they wear 6 inch heels, and fall down. It's not as easy to recover from an accident once you get older. I realize many of them are still looking for a man, though, and they want to look good, sexy or whatever. But at nightclubs and bars, they're going to be competing with women who are half their age; women who are in the 21-39 year age range, and a 55 year old can't really compete with them. No matter how sexy she's dressed.

Anyway, that's my (offensive) opinion.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure, they can wear whatever they want, and I wouldn't say anything. But I'd think they were rather desperate. After age 40, I'd hate to be spending time in nightclubs wearing mini skirts and tight pants. And by age 50, these women should be concerned about bones breaking if they wear 6 inch heels, and fall down. It's not as easy to recover from an accident once you get older. I realize many of them are still looking for a man, though, and they want to look good, sexy or whatever. But at nightclubs and bars, they're going to be competing with women who are half their age; women who are in the 21-39 year age range, and a 55 year old can't really compete with them. No matter how sexy she's dressed.

Anyway, that's my (offensive) opinion.
Your opinion isn't offensive.
It just makes the assumption that people are dressing for other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty