Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times

Advertisements

I have somewhat fair skin with pink tones, I have dirty blonde hair (but plan on going lighter).. I am stuck on black eyeliner. I tired switching to dark brown and it just didnt look right. I switched simply because I read in a magazine that black can look too harsh for someone like me..Is black totally wrong for me??..FYI to sum up: pinkish somewhat fair skin, blonde hair, green eyes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Yeah...um...and speaking of eyeliner, I have a stupid question. Do you put it between your lashes and your eye, or do you put it outside of your lash line? (You'd think that someone my age would know this, but my mom never showed me and I always hung out with the boys while I was growing up lol)

And as far as the OP goes, use what makes you feel good

Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times
You can do either, but I think it looks neater if you put it between your lower lashes and your eye. You may risk getting a dot in your eye every once in a while, but I think it just looks dark and messy otherwise. I also use a little in the corner of my eyes and on my top lashes in the same spot..

Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM

170 posts, read 893,204 times
Sorry, but with the blonde hair I think that black may be too harsh on you. I have very dark hair, very fair skin (I glow like a ghost) and green eyes and I recently tried some black eyeliner both in liquid and pencil after using anthracite for years. The black I can just barely get away with for evening but never for day.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I have somewhat fair skin with pink tones, I have dirty blonde hair (but plan on going lighter).. I am stuck on black eyeliner. I tired switching to dark brown and it just didnt look right. I switched simply because I read in a magazine that black can look too harsh for someone like me..Is black totally wrong for me??..FYI to sum up: pinkish somewhat fair skin, blonde hair, green eyes..
I think so. You do need to stay with the brown. Try to find a honey shade of brown or something.

But eyeliner is so overrated anyway. You shouldn't really need eyeliner unless you are going out in the evening. That's the only time it looks good. I don't even wear eyeliner during the day (just mascara and a little neutral color eyeshadow for the day time). So, save the eyeliner for your evening out to town.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM

47 posts, read 652,532 times
Default eyeliner...

I use black on the lower inside eyelid and a color that compliments whatever eyeshadow color I happen to wear that day. I suggest Smashbox's Proof Cream Eyeliner Palette with Brush 20. It's $39.00 at QVC but not bad considering it's got 10 colors and a professional brush. They're cream eyeliners that don't smudge and you don't have to pull at your eyes to apply it. The palette lasts a long time.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
I have pale-tan skin depending upon if I stay outside for a while... and I absolutely love my black eyeliners. And when I do use them, I go between my lower lashes and eye. Because I'm half-blind, I learned the feel of it and can apply eyeliner without a mirror.

Another interesting thing I noticed - black eyeliner looks better on people with glasses. It bring the accent back to their eyes that the glasses take away.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
With green eyes you can always use plum. I have green eyes and it looks nice. Not purple, but plum.

J

Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
You can use a black/brown---not as light as a brown, but not as harsh as black! And smudge it--a bold line looks harsh in itself! I have very pale lashes (and eyebrows!) so if I don't wear eyeliner, my lashes disappear--even with mascara! I just bought a pretty eggplant color that I'm loving! It doesn't really "read" purple or violet, but it's great for daytime! And, it helps bring out the blue in my eyes! I work the eyeliner into the lash line--it makes lashes look longer. I only go under the lashes for nighttime wear--when I want something REALLY dramatic!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Yes I would think black would be too harsh for anything except night. I'm a recovering eyeliner addict and I've had problems even though my hair is dark. I also have green eyes and have been in to a softer brown eyeliner, smoky charcoal, plum or navy blue. Rimmel makes OK cheap eyeliner, they sell all these colors. You might even start picking up either eye quads with the right darker color to line your eyes and use that instead. I only use pencil on my top lid now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty