Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 AM

24,107 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

...or somewhere in between?

As Spring arrives, Capri pants are about to once again return to the public venue of your choice - especially among the 40 and above crowd.

Many women LOVE Capris. Women who want to be a bit cooler in he warmer months but don't think that shorts are flattering, love Capris. They are also popular among those of us who live in 4 season climates as a transition from Winter to Spring. Some wear them all summer long with baggy Tee shirts, tank tops, and flip flops.

It's a "Look" that I have seen in states as diverse as New Hampshire, Florida and Indiana. Many women seem to LOVE Capris.

What are your thoughts about Capri pants?

This may be unpopular, but here are mine.

1. They are UNFALTERING to ANY body type. Let's face it. If the Capri wearer had a different body, or she was more confident, she would probably opt for a few pairs of well cut shorts. But NOT always. Capris are also chosen by women who could wear something better.

Yet, I must say that I have seen fit women, at their "normal weight" wear Capris with baggy Tees, and flowing tops - often with cut out shoulders.

2, Capris SHORTEN YOUR LEGS. Not good, no matter what your height. Paired with a top that is longer than crotch level, they are particularly unflattering.

No. You do not look thinner in Capris. You look cut off and short legged.

3. You do not look thin or hip. If you are significantly over weight. there are better options. Capri pants actually enhance whatever it is you are trying to hide.

4. They AGE you. NO ONE under 18, who is not remarkably obese, wants to buy a pair of "Capris".

5. I'll be the first too admit it but they just do not LOOK GOOD.

6. I will also admit this - I wore Capris for years. One day I looked in the mirror and asked "why"? I looked frumpy.

Frumpy was never a look I attempted to purposely achieve.

I now wear light weight jeans or slacks in Spring. I roll them up a bit, and make sure that my top is now billowy or lower than my waist. It I am wearing a Tee, I tuck part of it into my pants.

Do you wear Capri pants? Or do you avoid them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:44 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
I agree that they are an unflattering look. Most women want long lean-looking legs and this style of pant creates the opposite effect. If a woman looks okay in them it’s because she is pretty enough to look good in anything—not because the capris help.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I don’t care if they look good or not. I’m still going to wear them because I hate shorts.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I hate capris on me because I am vertically challenged and don't want my legs "cut in half" so to speak. I will wear city shorts which are slim and come to the knee but if you ever see me in capris you'll know I have lost my mind.

Here in Florida all the "senior" women wear them. They don't like their legs but they want to stay cool so it is a big look here for that crowd. The only way I could imagine a capri looking good on someone is if they were tall, slim and wore them with high heels.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
This exact thing has been posted here over and over.

First of all, people define what "capri" pants are differently. I love capris, however, for me that means just below the knee, and fitted, stretchy. Even better if the sides of the legs are "ruched" (dressier look). I like capri leggings and stretch capri pants (my favorite are Vera Wang). I am tall and I assure you they do NOT make my legs look shorter! I own capris in all colors, and are my "go-to" outfit with one of my many coordinating tops. A nice and comfortable look for Florida. Also, the style I like is kind of "50's retro", a sexier look, and suits my body type.

Now on the other hand I hate the "high water pants" style capris, or any style where they are not fitted to the leg - those are ugly and unflattering as hell to anyone.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
I don't think that capris are all that unflattering. I've never looked at anyone wearing them and thought "eeeww, she shouldn't be wearing those". Which is often what I think when I see obese women wearing short shorts and leggings.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I don't think that capris are all that unflattering. I've never looked at anyone wearing them and thought "eeeww, she shouldn't be wearing those". Which is often what I think when I see obese women wearing short shorts and leggings.
I completely agree. Capris that are really wide are one thing - but slim fitting capris, IMHO, are very flattering.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
I don't care one way or the other, but capri pants are in no way, shape, or form suitable for business casual wear.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I like Capri pants better that the short pedal pusher style of pants. For me, a pair of long Bermuda shorts, or a pair of Capris seem to look best. The pedal pusher style, just below the knee length pant that so many of us old women wear, is awful on me.

I think there should be a variety of available styles so we can choose what we prefer for ourselves. What I like for myself is probably different than what you like for yourself.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I don't think they're a good look for significantly overweight women. Shorts are an even worse look for those women, though, so they may feel relieved that there's an alternative to shorts that is not full-length pants.

I think capris can look pretty good on taller women with a shapely leg, a good calf. A well-cut capri (not a baggy one) can accentuate the curve of the calf. And they're not as informal-looking as shorts. So I wouldn't say they're unflattering as a sweeping generalization. I would agree with you, though, that they shouldn't be paired with baggy oversized tops. They can look very nice with a tailored top with matching color elements.

Really, OP, I think it's one of those things, where people with good taste and a knack for dressing well can make them look great. People who follow some trend whether the style suits their body type or not, are going to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty