Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm sure this whole deal about "I'm old" or "I just had 9 babies" or "I'm old and I just had 9 babies and look how great my body looks" is good for women's self esteem.

God bless you!!!

When do women get permission to just age with grace? I'm not talking about letting yourself go, but my gosh, if you do a little exercise every day and eat healthy and try to keep your heart and mind pure, why isn't that enough?

Do we have to work out like 20-year-olds until we drop dead?

Bleh.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,552,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
God bless you!!!

When do women get permission to just age with grace? I'm not talking about letting yourself go, but my gosh, if you do a little exercise every day and eat healthy and try to keep your heart and mind pure, why isn't that enough?

Bleh.
I used to ignore my ignore list feature, but I’ve found this thread has been a good place to collect a few posters for it who see women as objects or lesser, rather than as human beings. I always look at some of their other posts first to make sure.

No regrets so far.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,614,030 times
Quote:
God bless you!!!

Bleh.
Because generally you live longer and better?

This 98 year old looks FANTASTIC. This is what my 61 year old fiance aspires to be like, and she just might make it.

World's oldest yoga instructor from NYC shares the mantras she swears by | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
Quote:
God bless you!!!

It is enough

Some people with delicate self-esteem believe otherwise, though, and like to try to prop themselves up by bragging about their (or their partner's or the kids') appearance. It's sad, really.

"If you live by people's acceptance, you'll die by their rejection." Content people don't worry about other people's random standards and just live.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,714,755 times
Quote:
God bless you!!!

Bleh.
You know that most 20 year olds are not even working out. I see way too many 20 year old females with muffin tops exposing way too much skin.

I understand what you're trying to say but I think it is commendable to compare yourself with younger more active people. And virtually no one is working out until they drop dead.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 PM

19,755 posts, read 12,319,623 times
I think boomers were given the message not to age gracefully. It is like aging is a dirty word. Might account for high levels of depression in middle aged people.

I am personally fascinated by vintage fashion from early to mid 20th century, and the mature look of people at that time. So to me "old" is cool. My grandma was strong and humble, and I want to be more like her than some yoga lady or a fifty something year old who felt she had to write an article about wearing a bikini.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 PM

296 posts, read 267,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think boomers were given the message not to age gracefully. It is like aging is a dirty word. Might account for high levels of depression in middle aged people.

I am personally fascinated by vintage fashion from early to mid 20th century, and the mature look of people at that time. So to me "old" is cool. My grandma was strong and humble, and I want to be more like her than some yoga lady or a fifty something year old who felt she had to write an article about wearing a bikini.
You make an interesting point, or perhaps it's an observation about boomers feeling the need to be youthful way past their prime. I don't recall until perhaps the last 10 or so years seeing older women who felt it necessary to continue to try to be the "hot mom" or "hot older woman" well into their 50's and beyond. There is a sense of desperation and it's rather sad to watch.

I see women late 40's to probably in their 60's at the gym acting coy and "cutesy" around men easily 15 years younger and the cringe factor is there-especially when the guys clearly aren't interested in them.

And yes, I also see older men trying to hit on college age gals, and it doesn't go well either.

Back to your point about your grandma, I would bet she had a lot of great characteristics, skills and interesting stories that did not revolve around her looks. I would also venture a guess that most of us females would prefer the company of other females who aren't posting photos of themselves at middle age trying to convince the world they still had "it".

Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,884,012 times
I lost weight and work out for ME, not for anyone else. I would not wear a bikini, but I enjoy having a defined waist no muffin top, and toned arms in my 60s. Don't care what anyone else thinks but I want to feel good and like what I see in the mirror.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:18 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times
Some folks look like 5 pounds of salami in a 1 pound bag.
Others just look like the salami.

Lesson learned: Don't be the salami !

Old 06-17-2018, 04:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
I was just saying how great Hawaii is because no one cares what you look like on the beach.

I've got a picture in a bathing suit when I was over 50 that would knock your socks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty