Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,647,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Of course, not every woman is like that, but just as there are some women today that will criticise another woman's appearance, clothes, makeup etc. do you think even way back in time say ancient rome, or medieval times for instance even as heavily oppressed as women were they still criticised each other for clothes, hair, makeup, jewelry, etc. as some women do today?
Of course. It's human nature. Each person has their own likes/dislikes of what looks good, and we criticize someone who's wearing something that we think looks awful. Even in caveman times, I'm sure they criticized the type of cloth other people wore - whether it was too wrinkly, too short, too long, too dirty, their hair was too short or long. It's only human nature to criticize. It'll happen until the end of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,670,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Not so much in terms of fashion, but in ancient times, certain colors, fabrics, jewelry were associated with your station in life and with your loyalty to the gods or religion. This certainly applied in more recent history with native people.

In modern times, I think men judge women with their overall appearance, but really don't care about the labels they wear or individual fashion pieces. It's how the women put these things together to make a holistic impression that makes the imprint on a man. Women, however, nitpick over the individual items that the women have selected to wear or for external decoration. Women judge other women on their "choices" and if these choices agree with their own sensibilities or subjective preferences. "Bad" or different choices definitely affects the woman's negative impression of the other woman. No many how many glass ceilings are broken or how financially independent women become, this will never change.
Very spot-on. I have never dated a man who noticed individual items (well, maybe a top, LOL) but just the overall "look". I'll never forget an intelligent man I dated who said to me "I'm not very observant!"

So I have found this to be true. I've never worked in a corporate situation, so "fashion" kinda breezed past me. As long as the general "look" is OK, that's all I'm going for. So, I don't notice what other women wear either, unless something is glaring in some way.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:49 AM

21,956 posts, read 9,545,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
i have no doubt women thru the ages have been catty, backstabbing, hypercritical as women were highly dependent on snagging the best men with the highest earning potential to give them the life style they wanted and felt they deserved. As more and more women are valued for their brains and their ability to take care of themselves now and in the future, let's hope their better angels will win out over gold diggers of yore. Women can earn their own fortunes nowadays. And aren't the colleges and universities graduating more women now than men? I think I read someplace women are far more likely to have a college education.... women are on the move!!!! onward and upward.....and for sure, we have come a long long way baby!!!!!........ but there will always be those jealous types, those who still only see their worth in direct proportion to the man they can attract because there is still a lot of gender inequality in the workplace. I think women will be more supportive of each other as the glass ceilings are shattered
I agree with you. But now women criticize other women for the choices they make, too. Stay at home moms criticize working moms and vice versa. I believe it's human nature. Men do it, too but in a different way. With men, it's all about how you compare to another man in things like sports and career levels. I look at all of this from a Selfish Gene (the book) perspective. The ultimate goal in life for people (biologically speaking) is to spread their genes and ensure that they survive. So women want to pick the best man who can help raise the children, has the best job, etc and men want to pick a woman who can produce healthy offspring. This isn't something people think about consciously. It's innate. All the other stuff that surrounds it...criticizing another woman's this or that is just the noise that surrounds it all.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 AM

669 posts, read 584,015 times
Women are catty....vindictive (at times), gossips, .....nothing new.....I am a female...seen it..sometimes participated.

Mea Culpa

Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Of course, not every woman is like that, but just as there are some women today that will criticise another woman's appearance, clothes, makeup etc. do you think even way back in time say ancient rome, or medieval times for instance even as heavily oppressed as women were they still criticised each other for clothes, hair, makeup, jewelry, etc. as some women do today?
I don't know what other woman do, or did...I know it was done to me, where I work once, and I have no time for such games/drama....it that is all some care about, there is something wrong, there is so much more to life, than to worry or criticise someone for their appearance...beauty, is only skin deep...and makeup, etc...can't hide what the person is inside....I always wonder what they think they are compensating for?

Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 AM

7 posts, read 4,040 times
As more and more women are valued for their brains and their ability to take care of themselves now and in the future, let's hope their better angels will win out over gold diggers of yore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty