Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...71?sku_0=::38S

Check the size chart to know which size to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
My Nicaraguan large Tee-shirts fit me just fine, and I'm a normal guy, 5' 11" about 180. I don't think I have any shirts from China. I assume making shirts sized for Americans should fit most people fine. And I got it from St. Vincent Depaul for $5.00.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This list pretty much matches what I see on my t-shirt labels. In many of these countries the people are smaller than Americans, they have trouble being consistent with American sizes.

I've had pretty good luck but I also keep my receipts and try on my purchase soon enough to return it if it doesn't fit.
These products are made by or contracted by American companies for American consumers. They don't just call up a company in Thailand and say "send me 100,000 size large T-shirts, they give exact size specifications so if there is a problem with that the blame lies in the company named on the label for poor specifying or poor quality control.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
I have noticed that my polo shirts made in India run larger than those made in Vietnam or Kenya for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if this is consistently true with all brands.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Fabric weave or knit and fabric weight has also changed for a single product, too. Quality has unquestionably declined for most things.
I may be wrong but I recollect that decades ago t-shirts were pretty much t-shirts, but today there is a plethora of t-shirts all the way from $5 bottom-end to $50 and more. I've also noticed that the $5 t-shirts just sort of hang on me, maybe sort of like throwing a sheet over your dining room table and chairs. But the good quality t-shirts not only fit my body but the fabric actually stretches where I bulge and sucks in where I don't. On good t-shirts the fabric moves with my body. There is no doubt in my mind that the fabric is one of the big differences between high and low price t-shirts (and probably clothing in general).

A lot of the time I don't really care how the fabric falls (like at my gym) but when I go on a date I wear my nicest t-shirts (if I'm not dressing better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
These products are made by or contracted by American companies for American consumers. They don't just call up a company in Thailand and say "send me 100,000 size large T-shirts, they give exact size specifications so if there is a problem with that the blame lies in the company named on the label for poor specifying or poor quality control.
Then explain the size problem. It's abundantly clear that Asian clothing products are "size all over the place."

I think some retailers have the attitude, we have a lot of sizes, just try them on until you find one that fits.

They buy a couple shipping containers full of t-shirts and sell 90% at a tidy profit, they dump another 5% on their clearance shelves, and they dump any remaining stock to scavenger sellers. I'm speculating but I think that's how the process works.

But anybody who disagrees about the size problem, if you don't think the third-world suppliers are messed up holding to our standard sizes, then why do we have a problem with this?

BTW I fit anywhere from S-CH to L depending on brand, mostly S-CH and M.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I think the problem is that companies use separate vendors for different colors or styles of shirts. I wear women’s sizes. What I have observed is that some companies do not (apparently) have good quality control with sizing. So, a red shirt might be shorter or wider than the blue one, even if they are supposed to be identical except for the color.

At least that is my theory.

Lands End does still make good quality basic knitwear. They are cut slightly slim, in my opinion.

For longer and more rugged tees, try Duluth Trading. That company makes great stuff! Their stuff runs larger. But it will be excellent quality. DTC has several retail stores in the country now.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
If you're talking about undershirts, I'd go with the larges, then wash and dry them.

Mediums from all brands you mentioned fit my husband well...until they're washed and dried. Then, they're too tight around the neck and arms and are too short.

Of course, I could try to baby them and hang them up instead of drying them, but that's a PITA when you're talking about undershirts that get worn every day.

So, we buy larges. They're a little loose until they're washed and dried, and then they fit him perfectly.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
While IZOD is mostly consistent with the same style (i.e. a pink shirt won't have a different fit from a purple one of the same style), I have noticed sometimes in the seasonal refreshes the fits change slightly. The solid Advantage Polos since Spring 2018 tend to run larger than than prior years; simultaneously they introduced slim sizes for more colors; I wonder if this has anything to do with the sizing increase for the regular sizes.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:26 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanyturns View Post
Maybe if I purchased packs of all white basic men's t-shirts sizing would not be a
problem. I always buy an assortment of colors.

1. Purchased Gildan 100% cotton in a local store. Shoulders and fit across my chest
was fine. The neck opening was for a child. Had to ask for help pulling this t-shirt
over my head. Almost cut the darn thing off with a scissors!

2. Purchased a bunch of Hanes t-shirts from a popular wholesaler on the web.
Medium has been my size for several decades. They were too small. Fortunately,
this wholesaler provides a free return shipping label.

3. Visited another local store. I decided to try size large Fruit of the Loom t-shirts.
They fit like x-large. The shoulders drooped down, almost to my elbows!

I've never had a problem buying t-shirts that fit. Obviously, the size printed on the
fabric or listed on the web is not reliable anymore. Must I keep buying (and returning)
t-shirts until I find some that actually fit?
Good you mentioned small neck opening....I have some XL t-shirts that fit ok
but the neck openings are tiny ...I have a big neck ...need a big opening ...I feel like I’m choking

Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I may be wrong but I recollect that decades ago t-shirts were pretty much t-shirts, but today there is a plethora of t-shirts all the way from $5 bottom-end to $50 and more. I've also noticed that the $5 t-shirts just sort of hang on me, maybe sort of like throwing a sheet over your dining room table and chairs. But the good quality t-shirts not only fit my body but the fabric actually stretches where I bulge and sucks in where I don't. On good t-shirts the fabric moves with my body. There is no doubt in my mind that the fabric is one of the big differences between high and low price t-shirts (and probably clothing in general).

A lot of the time I don't really care how the fabric falls (like at my gym) but when I go on a date I wear my nicest t-shirts (if I'm not dressing better).

Then explain the size problem. It's abundantly clear that Asian clothing products are "size all over the place."

I think some retailers have the attitude, we have a lot of sizes, just try them on until you find one that fits.

They buy a couple shipping containers full of t-shirts and sell 90% at a tidy profit, they dump another 5% on their clearance shelves, and they dump any remaining stock to scavenger sellers. I'm speculating but I think that's how the process works.

But anybody who disagrees about the size problem, if you don't think the third-world suppliers are messed up holding to our standard sizes, then why do we have a problem with this?

BTW I fit anywhere from S-CH to L depending on brand, mostly S-CH and M.
I just explained it in the post that you just responded to. The country of origin is immaterial, the company paying to have the shirt made either is inconsistent with their specifications or they do not monitor production for adherence to those specifications. Either way the product that hits the market is acceptable to them. Styles change and today's styles are more narrow than they were ten years ago. Companies also produce more than one style with different fits. If that's a problem for you, change brands to something that fits you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty