Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What types of clothing did (or do) your parents/guardians forbid you from buying/wearing?
some types (please specify in a reply) 25 40.32%
none, and I'm male 13 20.97%
none, and I'm female 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:46 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What DID she like? Preppy clothes. Shetland sweaters, kilt skirts, Bass Weejuns, Etienne Aigner purses and shoes, Villager and Ladybug clothes.
This is what the girls wore when I started high school. I wore the boy version (all my Alan Paine sweaters had socks that matched). By the end, it was bell bottoms and "tops." Jeans weren't allowed yet in my high school, but they're what everyone was wearing the following year, in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 05:11 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
1950s schools had dress codes. My mother didn't have to tell me what to wear--school would have sent me home if I wore pants instead of a skirt. She didn't like it when I bought spike heels but told me to go ahead if I thought I could wear them. I learned the hard way with those and ended up in the podiatrist's office.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Denim jackets, back in the early 80's they were for bad boys.
I loved those bad boys in denim jackets, lol. Actually back in the 80's there were some truly artistic denim jackets that the kids painted album covers on. Now that was talent.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:40 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I don’t remember my parents telling me not to wear anything, but my first job in the mid 1960s was on a food truck that went around to factories at lunchtime. One day I wore a pair of jeans to work and my boss didn’t think it was appropriate. I was only visible from the waist up on the truck anyway. Those might have been the first pair of jeans I ever got.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I graduated high school in 1996.

What was banned for me:
  • Pants at church - no kinds of pants, even dress pants
  • Jeans with holes
  • Anything that showed cleavage at all
  • Until about age 14 I couldn’t wear skirts or dresses without tights or hose, church always required tights or hose. Eventually I wore her down on going bare legged
  • Leggings with shirts that didn’t cover my butt
  • Bikinis
  • Shorts/skirts/dresses that were above mid-thigh
  • Anything form fitting around my butt (unless it was covered up)
  • makeup
  • visible bra straps

My mom was very conservative. She has loosened up a bit now, but still complains about cleavage.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:01 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Female and my mother didn't forbid me to wear anything. I graduated HS in 1984 and the styles were fairly conservative. Mostly jeans and tops. I was definitely conservative in my clothing, lol. I think the worst thing I wore was halter tops and that was during the summer and not at school.

She didn't "forbid" me but she didn't want me to wear makeup. To this day I still have no idea how to apply makeup
I was the same, except I was allowed to wear makeup in high school. I didn't wear a lot of it though, just some eye shadow and rouge.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I loved those bad boys in denim jackets, lol. Actually back in the 80's there were some truly artistic denim jackets that the kids painted album covers on. Now that was talent.
I would KILL for that Boston or Beatles denim jacket! Please, help save a life and tell me where I can buy them.

Well... Um... I bet my parents would have been dismayed if I had wanted to wear a bra or leggings. I'm a man.

I remember the rules for girls at my high school. When wearing a dress, the length had to be at least as long as when the girl kneeled the skirt had to touch the ground. Simple rule.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:11 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Well... Um... I bet my parents would have been dismayed if I had wanted to wear a bra or leggings. I'm a man.
The way things are going in this Country, it may be mandatory in a year or two, that men wear bras at least one day a week just to make everyone feel equal.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Actually a bra for men is called a bro. If leggings become mandatory for men, at least we men can advertise our packages.

You won't find me doing that on a cold day.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:03 AM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
I attended high school in the 90s and had no restrictions. My parents pretty much let me do whatever for the most part. Very laid-back people. I had a lot of problems with my health and struggled a lot mentally when I was young, so I think they went ultra easy on me. They also just don't really care about controlling me though. Never as a kid and never as an adult either. Even when I had a lot of problems with drugs and alcohol, they were more like "We are here for you and hope you'll change but we know we can't stop you". Overall this was good, because I did go to them many times when I truly needed help, which probably saved my life a few times. Had they shunned me, I doubt I would have survived my hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty