Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What types of clothing did (or do) your parents/guardians forbid you from buying/wearing?
some types (please specify in a reply) 25 40.32%
none, and I'm male 13 20.97%
none, and I'm female 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I would KILL for that Boston or Beatles denim jacket! Please, help save a life and tell me where I can buy them.
I have no idea where to buy them but they were worn all over my Junior High and High School back in my day. So many guys wore them. I never knew who painted them. A lot of them were pretty awesome.

Found one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Boston...YAAOSwR65awYMG

Try here:https://www.etsy.com/market/denim_rock_jacket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 12:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
OMG I love those jackets ylisa7! Thank you so much for researching! (I'm familiar with Etsy.)

I have a few doubts about size and return policy. I would happily pay maybe $150 for the Boston jacket appearing earlier in this topic, new and in my size, and provided I can return and refund if there is a fit or appearance issue. I'm saving your links for further study.

I am really into my graphic t-shirts, but have no fancy denim jacket. I need one! No, I need 2-3 of them!

I'd buy that Boston jacket immediately if I found it in a store!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I was always a /chubby fat girl, so no clothes so tight all my fat rolls showed, and certainly no short midriff tops, or skirts up to my coochie and which barely covered my butt...like so many people wear today. Whatever happened to dressing so that we don't even know if you have a muffin top?

I'm sorry. The way some kids -- and adults -- dress today is too revealing, and quite frankly -- yes IMO -- inappropriate.
A friend of mine was a teacher.....she said you should see some of the clothes teachers wear to work today. They're standing in front of kids -- and popping out of their clothes and showing their camel toe at the same time.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,941,311 times
I know my parents did not like what I wore when I was a teenager but I lived in southern California at the beach so I was in bathing suits (and we are talking very skimpy one's) most of the time. So they were probably just happy to see me in clothes (whatever style) whenever I had them on.

I really think it's difficult to impose dress rules on a child (especially a teen). They will wear what they want. They will just wait until they are out of the house to put it on. I tried with my own daughter. I remember one night we had her change before going to a high school football game. We decided to go later and ran into her there. And guess what....she had an even shorter skirt on that she had borrowed from her friend!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 6,714 times
My mother was ok , my Gran was very strict being very religious as she was plus her age [in her 70's] and the fact that she lived with us cause major rows about my clothes , she Hated Lycra with a passion ..or anything stretchy , that accounted for half of my skirts , Tight Bodycon ..Hated Thick Black Opaque Tights even though I "Had" to wear them for School ..yet she was ok with Tan / natural Sheer Tights !! ..Half of my clothes would go missing , many a time I would find a Lycra skirt or a pair of Black Tights in the Bin

Old 10-21-2018, 07:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
I was 15 in 1969 and wanted to get pierced ears but my mom objected. "But all my friends are doing it!" "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you want to do that, too?" "They're not jumping off bridges; they're just getting their ears pierced!" She finally relented because the one friend's mom who was a nurse offered to do it - with a sterilized sewing needle and a cork. Numbed my earlobe with ice first. My mother admitted the small studs I wore were ok, and confided that the heavy clip-on earrings she wore made her earlobes sore. She never cared much about my clothes, and I'm not sure why I had to persist so long about the pierced ears before she relented.

Today I wear hardly any jewelry EXCEPT from my large collection of pierced earrings.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM

6,871 posts, read 4,873,766 times
I didn't have any restrictions. I did want a suede jacket with fringe, that I wasn't able to have because it was too trendy. The expense didn't justify the amount of time I would wear it. Had it been an inexpensive trendy jacket I could have had it. Or, if I had been willing to buy it with my own money from berry picking. I put more thought into what I would buy when it was my own hard earned money!

Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I didn't have any restrictions. I did want a suede jacket with fringe, that I wasn't able to have because it was too trendy. The expense didn't justify the amount of time I would wear it. Had it been an inexpensive trendy jacket I could have had it. Or, if I had been willing to buy it with my own money from berry picking. I put more thought into what I would buy when it was my own hard earned money!
It usually came down to that. My mother wouldn't buy expensive, trendy, clothing for me which she knew would go out of fashion and I would no longer want to wear. If I wanted it badly enough, I'd buy it.

The only thing that she ever had a problem with was the very light gray rayon pants that I bought. They had a slight sheen, and she said that they looked like something a ***** would wear. Really? Ladies of the night wear gray pants? I don't think so.

A got to wear them two or three times before she washed and dried them to death.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:05 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
It was back in the 1960s and I wanted to wear pointy toed shoes with very high heels to a wedding. My mother said No. She said I wouldn't be able to walk in them. I convinced her that I would be able to walk in then.

Was I ever sorry. I could walk just fine but my feet were killing me. I had a terrible time at the wedding. due to the pain from those shoes. When I got home I had to go to a foot doctor and get some minor surgery on a toe. All due to those shoes. Almost missed my high school graduation too because I could barely walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty