Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What types of clothing did (or do) your parents/guardians forbid you from buying/wearing?
some types (please specify in a reply) 25 40.32%
none, and I'm male 13 20.97%
none, and I'm female 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:18 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times

Advertisements

Bikini--which was any two-piece swimsuit

High-high heels -- One inch was the max

White shoes after Labor Day

Black shoes after Easter

Brown shoes were always ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
The only thing I couldn’t wear was my moms clothes, Lol. Not that I would.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,255,332 times
I couldn't wear women's clothing (not that I ever wanted to) and I couldn't sag my pants. Otherwise, as long as the clothes were "decent" and "moral," there were no real limits.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:13 PM

24,127 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
In high school in the 80s, my mom wouldn't let me wear long dangly earrings because she said they were too trampy. Of course, that's all I wear today.
"Trampy" was one of my mother's go to "put down" words.

The trouble was, she thought that just about EVERYTHING that was at all trendy, was "TRAMPY" - you gave me a huge "blast from the past" with that word.

I went to Middle School, HS, and early college in the "70s - early 80s.

Here is what my mom found "Trampy".

1. Halter tops.

2. Hot pants. Shorts in the summer were fine. Even short shorts. But "hot pants" in the Fall or winger, even with panty hose, opaque tights, or textured tights were "Trampy".

3. Shirred tops. Strechy tops with elastic that were form fitting. A predecessor of tube tope which she reviled.

4. Teased hair or layered hair. Hair like Farrah Faucet.

5. Shag hairstyles.

6. Knee length boots made out of patent leather - TRAMPY.

7. Clothes bought at the following stores - "5-7-9", Lerner's, G and G - basically ALL mall shops that catered to teens and tweens. TRAMPY.

8. ANYTHING Polyester. (I don't disagree there, she just talked about it non stop.

9. White shoes or sandals.

10. pronounced eye makeup. Especially too much eye makeup.

What DID she like? Preppy clothes. Shetland sweaters, kilt skirts, Bass Weejuns, Etienne Aigner purses and shoes, Villiager and Ladybug clothes.

I don't think they make the last anymore. But that's what she liked. She was not opposed to reasonably short skirts, as long as they were plaid and preppy.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Hmmm...I can think of only a few items I was not allowed to have at all, and that was when my parents were buying all of my clothes.

Remember when Candies shoes first came out? They were very popular, but my mom wouldn't get me a pair. I think she thought they looked uncomfortable and possible dangerous. Looking back, she may have been right.

No rabbit fur jacket. These, like Candies, were all the rage for a while, especially the kind of patchwork looking ones. Mom said they looked tacky. Looking back, I know she was right.

A Farrah hairdo. God, how I wanted one. She said no. I'm not really sure why, because by that time I was allowed to have long hair (she liked to keep it on the short side when I was little, which I can sort of understand, looking back, as she was the one who had to style it.) It may have been on the advice of a stylist.

Other than these three things, the only real restrictions on my clothes were that they be appropriate for the situation, like not wearing party clothes to school, or not wearing jeans to church (commonly done now, but not so much when I was a kid.)

Old 09-26-2018, 04:51 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Never had a forbidden list.

My mother taught my sister and me good taste in clothes at a very young age. Our clothes were never a problem/issue.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times
Wow no Farrah hairdo. That is weird. I wish there were more hairstyles like that today. I am so sick of straight hair or duck butt hair.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,248,543 times
None that I can think of. My mom would tease me about some of my fashion choices. I had an outfit that she called my Chairman Mao getup. lol.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Bikini--which was any two-piece swimsuit

High-high heels -- One inch was the max

White shoes after Labor Day

Black shoes after Easter

Brown shoes were always ok
You got that backwards it's:

WHITE SHOES after Easter

BLACK SHOES after Labor Day

or the easier way...WHITE IN SUMMER
BLACK IN WINTER

Old 09-26-2018, 11:52 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
Not allowed to wear a skirt more then 1 inch above the knee
Not allowed to wear jeans until they were allowed in school
No pierced ears til 16
Never was "given permission" to wear make up or a bra

I wasn't so restrictive on my girls
lipgloss in 6th grade, light makeup in 8th
pierced ears when they were ready and could buy their own
This I was adamant about and would clear out their closet if I found one ( my girls were 8 & 16 ):
no Belly Shirts..late 90's Brittany Spears with mid drift and belly button showing
they are both conservative dressers today.. altho my youngest did go thru a "Goth" period..hated it, but figured she grow out of it and she did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty