Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Don't get me started with emo and goth styled young people who color their hair dark and blue or purple.

I see plenty of such youth with hair like that working in those simulated Haunted attractions back in October.
How old are you? You sound about 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
I did mention that men had long hair compared to today until we had wars once every few decades or so.

Interestingly many older parents will still frown upon longer hair on their sons. This particularly include Christian parents,

Oy vey! You clearly have a limited social circle.

And how old are you? Long hair has been around, and socially acceptable, for most or my life. And I'm pretty old!

Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,318,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not the ones I know. I don't know anyone besides my mom who places much importance on hair length.
You got spot on, for some reason my mother and a number of mothers she and I know well really don't like anything other than sub 2 inch length hair on boys. Same thing with my parents' own parents or my grandparents back when they were alive. I always curious why?
I never really had long(er) hair but I remember being reprimanded by those I mentioned above but even a teacher I met one on one just for waiting a little two long between haircuts about 2 inches long. This was back in late 1990s.

It isnt just older people though. I know people born in late 1970s including some of my relatives who frown upon longer hair on boys as well. I know a friend who's two sons had curly "surf" style hair for a while when they were little though still end up cutting the boys hair short as she prefers boys hair to be short.

It also appears in all the places I lived longer hair wasn't widespread on guys until the mid 2000s. Though I find also the same time surfer/skateboard/snowboard culture became more accepted by the mainstream. Even by those who don't really engage in such activities. I guess its kind of like Tattoos, once viewed as counterculture, but eventually got more acceptable in mainstream culture. Of course some employers even today continue to view long hair and tattoos as counterculture.

Though I read many Christian schools even today still don't allow male student's hair to exceed their collars as they believe that it would be unbiblical for a men to have long hair. And it appears Christian parents generally support the rule and would enforce it even if their sons go to a school without such restrictions. Yet they often show bible characters with shoulder length hair in course of their teaching. Seems contradictory doesn't it?

Throughout history mens hair were much longer and were not considered counterculture until about the 20th century, Id be curious why the stigma during this period of time, and what caused the stigma to wane in the 21st century? Theories include global progressivism? Former hippies now holding position of power? And they encourage the youth to standup against unjust wars in the 2000s.
Interestingly despite this the SCOTUS stills currently condones gender discrimination based on hair length and rule such discrimination acceptable, guess the position of power in SCOTUS is still not Progressive enough yet, but its only a matter of time before things change.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:53 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,176,523 times
The facial hair thing has seemed to follow the special forces, the elite of alpha male, all wearing beards. It has gotten to the point where it is no longer a disguise but a sign just like a special uniform or cap that we are "elite". In fiction I can laugh at the undercover special forces when I look at the extras in the scene and the only people with beards are the fighting men. So much for being an undercover soldier when that beard marks you as a soldier just much as a red coat and white wig with a long tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is more Marines than cops, if we are talking about the same cut - a "High and Tight" - the sides are buzzed, but the hair on top of the head is long enough that you can't see the scalp (and probably the scalp is not so subject to sunburn when hatless) - what can I say, some guys look good in this, some don't. My head shape is such that I don't like how it looks on me. It is a practical haircut for a warrior, as it does not afford an opponent enough hair to grab, in a hand-to-hand situation.
I served in the early and mid 80's and back then only Marines and Army Rangers wore that cut. The "Green Berets" in those days before the beard wore slightly longer hair than regular soldiers. At that time hair was getting shorter again after the post Vietnam very long hair period aamong the troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well, glad to know there is a reason.

The cops in my area wear this cut or bald. Guess they took it from Marines.
I haven't noticed it among the constabulary in my area. But now I am the age of the average street cop's parents and haven't noticed as they have readopted wearing the service cap when exiting the vehicle.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
I feel like if you have to tie it up with a rubber band or the like, it's crossing over into too-much-maintenance-why-do-you-do-it category. A friend of mine and I were recently talking face-to-face and all of a sudden he starts to gather his hair and ties it back like I've seen girls do. Totally foreign while having a guy-conversation.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I feel like if you have to tie it up with a rubber band or the like, it's crossing over into too-much-maintenance-why-do-you-do-it category. A friend of mine and I were recently talking face-to-face and all of a sudden he starts to gather his hair and ties it back like I've seen girls do. Totally foreign while having a guy-conversation.
Guess you are under 30, then.

In my day lots of guys had ponytails. I did, in fact. Now, though, I would be the "bald fat guy with a ponytail" and that never goes well.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Throughout history mens hair were much longer and were not considered counterculture until about the 20th century, Id be curious why the stigma during this period of time, and what caused the stigma to wane in the 21st century? Theories include global progressivism? Former hippies now holding position of power? And they encourage the youth to standup against unjust wars in the 2000s.
Interestingly despite this the SCOTUS stills currently condones gender discrimination based on hair length and rule such discrimination acceptable, guess the position of power in SCOTUS is still not Progressive enough yet, but its only a matter of time before things change.
Someone earlier in the thread pointed out, that because of the World Wars (followed by the Korean War for the US), the short hair requirement in the military became the norm in society, as most men were subject to recruitment. But the stigma disappeared possibly with the exception of higher professional positions, around the late 60's through the 70's.

Former hippies in a position of power would have been retiring as the 21st Century got underway, so I don't think that was why long hair has come back into style. I think it's come back simply because fashion swings between extremes. Short hair has been done to death, it's time for a change. A lot of people are waiting for the same radical shift to happen to the skinny-jeans phenom.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,774,796 times
OP , I didn't read if you mentioned where you lived, but in Philly long hair is pretty much OVER. The overwhelming majority of the men I see from Boomers to Millennials have short and very close cropped hair. Corn rows are over for black men as well. Dredlocks, if I see them, seem to worn by older people.

It's all good news for local barbers.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,830,199 times
OP, a decade = 10 years not 40 years

Old 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
You got spot on, for some reason my mother and a number of mothers she and I know well really don't like anything other than sub 2 inch length hair on boys. Same thing with my parents' own parents or my grandparents back when they were alive. I always curious why?
I never really had long(er) hair but I remember being reprimanded by those I mentioned above but even a teacher I met one on one just for waiting a little two long between haircuts about 2 inches long. This was back in late 1990s.

It isnt just older people though. I know people born in late 1970s including some of my relatives who frown upon longer hair on boys as well. I know a friend who's two sons had curly "surf" style hair for a while when they were little though still end up cutting the boys hair short as she prefers boys hair to be short.

It also appears in all the places I lived longer hair wasn't widespread on guys until the mid 2000s. Though I find also the same time surfer/skateboard/snowboard culture became more accepted by the mainstream. Even by those who don't really engage in such activities. I guess its kind of like Tattoos, once viewed as counterculture, but eventually got more acceptable in mainstream culture. Of course some employers even today continue to view long hair and tattoos as counterculture.

Though I read many Christian schools even today still don't allow male student's hair to exceed their collars as they believe that it would be unbiblical for a men to have long hair. And it appears Christian parents generally support the rule and would enforce it even if their sons go to a school without such restrictions. Yet they often show bible characters with shoulder length hair in course of their teaching. Seems contradictory doesn't it?

Certain very strict Christian denominations like long hair on females and short hair on males. I think it has something to do with head coverings (think Menonite, Muslim). I also think religious extremists like to enforce gender rolls and this is one way to do it. IMO these are not mainstream Christians and certainly not all Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty