Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

I saw some really, really cute bell-bottoms at Free People last week. I didn't try them on, but was really tempted. The thing is, I'm 70. Yeah, I wore bell-bottoms 50 years ago and loved them. I at reasonably attractive for my age, and have a decent figure. (There are pictures of me on my profile.) From that standpoint, I could probably pull off wearing them. But before I put out the money, I'm wondering what you all think. Would somebody my age look absolutely stupid wearing something like bell-bottoms. Should I just resign myself to "growing old gracefully" or go out and buy the clothes I like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
If you like them ,they make you happy ,so who the hell cares what others think

Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Another repeat post of mine, but I've never really understood this. I mean, I do understand, because there are "rules" that are set in place. But I always come back to the thought that, it's *your* life; certain clothes, or anything else, makes you *happy*, expresses who *you* are and how you *feel*. People need to realize that you are individual and you're living your own individual life.

We all know that we're all going to die. Sometimes we know when, sometimes we don't. If you had, say, a month to live, how would you spend it? Hopefully, you would spend every second living it the way you wanted to; how you want to dress, what you want to eat, where you want to go, see the people you want to see.

On your death bed, will you really regret not dressing in "appropriate attire" or will you smile knowing that you squeezed every enjoyable moment out of life, including the beautiful (to you) way you presented and enjoyed yourself.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I saw some really, really cute bell-bottoms at Free People last week. I didn't try them on, but was really tempted. The thing is, I'm 70. Yeah, I wore bell-bottoms 50 years ago and loved them. I at reasonably attractive for my age, and have a decent figure. (There are pictures of me on my profile.) From that standpoint, I could probably pull off wearing them. But before I put out the money, I'm wondering what you all think. Would somebody my age look absolutely stupid wearing something like bell-bottoms. Should I just resign myself to "growing old gracefully" or go out and buy the clothes I like?
There is an old adage that I reject. It says something like "If you wore it the first time around, you should avoid it when it comes back into style".

WHY? It sounds silly and arbitrary to me.

There are all kinds of cuts of jeans and slacks for women. Wear the one you like that flatters you the most!

I am 61, if I see a pair, I might try them on. Why not? In Jr.HS I wore Landlubbers - they had buttons on the front like sailor's pants. I had them in denim and white. The white ones were for dressier occasions. I wore them with wedge sandals called "Korkies".

While I don't know you IRL, Katz; I get the impression that you have good taste. I do not imagine that these bell bottoms with have a butterfly embroidered on the rear, or that they will be super low cut.
Nor do I see a belly ring in your future.

Go for it! Bet you'll look great!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
If you hated the look before nothing dictates that you have to succumb to wearing it when it rears it's ugly head again. Thought they looked stupid the first time around (all that pointless fabric flapping around someone's ankles) and my opinion hasn't mellowed with time.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is an old adage that I reject. It says something like "If you wore it the first time around, you should avoid it when it comes back into style".
That's another thing. People always go, "Oh, God, please don't let that come back!" Or, "Thank God those are gone forever!"

Well, that's dumb, people loved it then, and they will probably love it again. It's like there's this assumption that we all naturally elevate from these previous fashion tastes we had. Never heard about retro? Vintage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
HY? It sounds silly and arbitrary to me.

There are all kinds of cuts of jeans and slacks for women. Wear the one you like that flatters you the most!

I am 61, if I see a pair, I might try them on. Why not? In Jr.HS I wore Landlubbers - they had buttons on the front like sailor's pants. I had them in denim and white. The white ones were for dressier occasions. I wore them with wedge sandals called "Korkies".

While I don't know you IRL, Katz; I get the impression that you have good taste. I do not imagine that these bell bottoms with have a butterfly embroidered on the rear, or that they will be super low cut.
Nor do I see a belly ring in your future.

Go for it! Bet you'll look great!
I've always loved those, and they are definitely back anyway.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:44 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Go for it!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Ohh Im excited!!!

Loved em then, and will welcome them back

Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 AM

1,198 posts, read 662,253 times
I like them! I also like boot cut jeans. I look awful in skinny jeans and tapered legs and hate them on me. Unfortunately they are the rage right now. It's really hard to find wider bottom jeans and pants with smaller waistline/hips nowadays.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,353 times
Yay! FINALLY! I love bootcuts, too. G*d, I am SICK of skinny jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty