Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have 3 nice dresses and have been rotating for the past 10 years including 2 of my son’ weddings. You don’t need a new dress.
I do have the dress from my daughter`s wedding from seven years ago. She is no longer married, and going to be at the wedding. Too many bad memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
I swimming against the current here. I would definitely get a brand-new dress. I wear almost only pants, but having another nice dress in my closet would make me happy.

Why not, maybe you'll find another reason to wear it.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times
I agree with prior posters; if it's a dress of one color, you can accessorize differently; scarf, necklace, choker, shoes, handbag. No need to buy a new dress unless you want to. Put on a gorgeous shade of lipstick, wear a smile, and enjoy yourself!

Old 08-01-2019, 09:24 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Am I the only one that thinks Two Weddings, One Dress would make a great Rom Com title?

To the OP, as others have said, wear the dress and change up the accessories if you can.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
You could just think of it as attire for special occasions. Dry cleaning it should be sufficient, I would guess, unless your friends are total elitist snobs.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:32 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Unless it's something *spectacular*, I'd have no idea what someone else wore to an event a few months ago. I might comment to myself, "Madeleine looks great, as usual!" but it would be highly unlikely to think, "Jeez, she has that same dress on as last time."

People who are convinced that everyone judges them would be very surprised to find out how seldom anyone else notices anything about them at all.

Wear the dress. Have fun. Don't worry.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
First of all.....I don`t wear dresses often. Only weddings. I purchased a dress for a wedding in May. I now have a wedding in Sept....all the same guests. How many of you think, I can wear the same dress? I am a senior, I can afford a new dress, but chances are, it will hang in the closet, for a long time, before, I wear it again....if I ever do.
OP, get good use out of it. Who cares if the guests see you in the same dress? The point is, you'll be well-dressed for the occasion. Don't sweat the small stuff. Buy an item you love, and wear it well.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:19 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Was the first wedding your own? In that case, you probably shouldn't wear the same dress. Otherwise, you're probably fine.
lol! Best reply in the thread!

OP, what part of the country are you in? If it's going to be coolish weather by the time of the September wedding, perhaps you could add a pashmina (solid blue or gray since it's a print dress) which would be functional as well as give things a bit of a different look. They make chiffon ones which wouldn't be too heavy to wear that time of year.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Of course wear the same dress, and style it how you want.
It's not likely.... but so what if some one remembers the dress. "Yeah, I wore this to Jane's wedding. And?"

If you're some high muckily-muck in the society, then say you're not wasteful. And if they want to buy you a dress for the next event -- so they don't see this same dress yet again, they can certainly buy one for you.

I don't know why and how people buy into this nonsense of you can only wear a dress once if it might be seen buy the same people at an event. Another made up thing someone started and people fall for it. Not that that's you do OP......that's why you were wondering, because you do NOT buy into it.

Last edited by selhars; 08-01-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I do have the dress from my daughter`s wedding from seven years ago. She is no longer married, and going to be at the wedding. Too many bad memories.
I'd torch that one in the fire pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty