Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 09:49 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
No one cares what your watch costs. I have a handful of watches. From really cheap ($300) to on the medium to nice side ($55,000) with most of them being between $1000-$10,000. I cycle between them all without concern for the cost... and no one makes any comments about them other than "nice watch" -- which I get for the cheaper ones just as much as the more expensive ones. Get whatever works for you.
That’s it! Watches are jewelry for men. Get what makes you happy. I’m more stoked about my $80 basic Seiko mechanical than my arguably nicer-looking $250 Bulova quartz. If you like it, rock it. It’s not about what you wear, but how you wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 10:33 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh good grief.

If you want to carry on a private conversation without anyone "jumping into a dialogue" between you and another poster, take it to PMs. Otherwise, it's an open conversation and forum.

And of course, I realize that time is approximate scientifically - and possibly even artificial - but people don't typically wear a watch to argue about such things.

Like someone else pointed out ("jumping into our dialogue" I guess - but I don't mind it because it's an open forum), try using an approximation of time in business and then post about how that works out. You know, use the sun. Be sure you tell your business partners that you will be using the sun rather than infinite points on the globe since time is an artificial approximation anyway.
I've never had a problem relying on my own sense of time supported by radio, TV, public clocks, clocks in vehicles, internet and telephones and none of my business dealings ever suffered. I have never, though, relied on using points on a globe to tell time and also have never worn a watch to argue about anything. There might be more to wearing a watch than that with which I'm aware.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Currently there are 38 time zones in use, the balance set at the whim of certain governments. Time is also not approximate not matter how much you’d like it to be.
Then why is it periodically adjusted?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've never had a problem relying on my own sense of time supported by radio, TV, public clocks, clocks in vehicles, internet and telephones and none of my business dealings ever suffered. I have never, though, relied on using points on a globe to tell time and also have never worn a watch to argue about anything. There might be more to wearing a watch than that with which I'm aware.
Depends how you make a living. If you’re retired or live off your land, then telling time isn’t a big deal. In my industry, I don’t need super precise time telling, so the fact that my timepiece has averaged -18 sec/day isn’t a big deal (although I should regulate it). I’d do well with a Rolex Submariner, durable and reliable, but when I can get most of that with an $80 beater, I’m kinda OK with that, too. My schedules run within ~15 min, so a minute or two off on the watch is ok. I don’t mind having to set it.

Watches are jewelry for men. Women too, but much less commonly so. It’s part vanity, part having something you enjoy, part having a way to feel confident if watches are your thing.

Last edited by jcp123; 02-16-2020 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You don't really expect to be taken seriously when you say stuff like that, do you?
Of course I'm serious. The time is not the same in Los Angeles as it is in San Francisco; the actual time is different in Brooklyn than it is in the Bronx and the finest timepiece in the world will not differentiate. It is only the artificial designation of time zones that enables some to believe it is real.

Last edited by kokonutty; 02-16-2020 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2020, 11:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
So, you choose to double down on this foolishness. Just wow. . .

Quote:
Of course I'm serious. The time is not the same in Los Angeles as it is in San Francisco; the actual time is different in Brooklyn than it is in the Bronx and the finest timepiece in the world will not differentiate. It is only the artificial designation of time zones that enables some to believe it is real.
This is how you justify your claim that time is approximate? Hilarious!

I really hope you don’t expect to be taken seriously. SMDH.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
So, you choose to double down on this foolishness. Just wow. . .

This is how you justify your claim that time is approximate? Hilarious!

I really hope you don’t expect to be taken seriously. SMDH.
Why don't you stop smirking behind your fancy watch long enough to explain how time is precise, wherever you go, when astronomical noon occurs at different times within the same time zone. Why not tell us why even "official" clocks are periodically adjusted.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 PM

71 posts, read 78,987 times
I notice. But I love watches. I own some very nice ones (Omega, Bulova) as well as very cheap ones. A knock-off Cartier tank that is one of my favorites.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Why don't you stop smirking behind your fancy watch long enough to explain how time is precise, wherever you go, when astronomical noon occurs at different times within the same time zone. Why not tell us why even "official" clocks are periodically adjusted.
I don’t think anybody is arguing against that. Clocks and watches are functional items, not instruments chasing after a useless-if-factual definition of time. It’s nice to know if I am expected to be somewhere in two hours when I have an hour drive time to get there.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
]I don't know any man rich poor poor wearing a watch anymore. Unless he is old. Its all about smartwatches note because people like to stay fit and track their progress as well as all the other cool things you can do with a smart watch. I have a Garmen730x. Not as fancy as a Rolex but better to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty