Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times

Advertisements

Depends on the situation, but generally, it's a nice look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 05:14 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
When the weather turns cooler I like wearing a sport coat when out for a casual evening.

I like the look in the pic you provided.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
It looks like you are in Chicagoland, so I’d say you do you. It’s cool enough most of the year near the lake that you can wear one. I’m from Florida originally and there it would look fairly pretentious. It is too hot about 80% of the year for one to be necessary.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:54 AM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I have a couple of nice casual sportcoats that I really enjoy wearing with jeans and boots on weekends. But I'm a mid-40s dad in a suburb, and tend to run with other 40-something dads, most of whom dress WAY more casually and generally avoid wearing sportcoats unless they have to.

I generally find that if I wear a sportcoat to meet friends, or even if I generally look put together at the kids' soccer game, someone will ask why I'm so dressed up. Or they'll seem uncomfortable if we are out somewhere and say something like, "I didn't think I'd need a jacket."

My wife and her friends seem to wear casual blazers all the time...so what do you think? Is this look pretentious?

This is the general gist of what I'm talking about:
No, not at all pretentious.

You are wearing what you like.

I thin they are not use to seeing it and they themselves are stereotyping / pigeon-holing / or making assumptions about that these casual blazers are or mean.

When people in a community (if this if the case) wear the same clothes all of the time the tend to think this way in my experience in different part so the country I've lived.

Oh, and BTW: keep wearing them!

Old 02-16-2020, 06:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Americans in general usually look like slobs. Don’t feel like you have to follow the crowd. A sports jacket with jeans is a good look.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 AM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Americans in general usually look like slobs. Don’t feel like you have to follow the crowd. A sports jacket with jeans is a good look.
Very true, nurider.

I used to dress like a slob in a certain town over 25 years ago.

In many urban and suburban and rural areas when I go to malls, department stores, grocery stores and music and sporting events people do dress like.....slobs.

I'm not being condescending.....but it's kind of ugly.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:55 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I have a couple of nice casual sportcoats that I really enjoy wearing with jeans and boots on weekends. But I'm a mid-40s dad in a suburb, and tend to run with other 40-something dads, most of whom dress WAY more casually and generally avoid wearing sportcoats unless they have to.

I generally find that if I wear a sportcoat to meet friends, or even if I generally look put together at the kids' soccer game, someone will ask why I'm so dressed up. Or they'll seem uncomfortable if we are out somewhere and say something like, "I didn't think I'd need a jacket."

My wife and her friends seem to wear casual blazers all the time...so what do you think? Is this look pretentious?

This is the general gist of what I'm talking about:

IMO sportcoats on a man are way off for stuff like a soccer game or anything casual BUT....if you & your wife like it.....that's what you gotta go by. It's a nice look for a man tho...paired with straight pants or jeans & maybe loafers more than a bootleg jean....for an evening out.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I think it's fine, but am unsurprised you're getting comments at kids' weekend sporting events, etc.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I'm in the Pacific NW and the slob look for men is almost a requirement here. The ball cap is considered a sartorial must for many of the suburban types who never dress up beyond what they wore outside gardening or lying on the couch watching the tube. I prefer sport coats in winter here just because they serve the need for warmth while looking like I dressed beyond the bedclothes look. Jeans and loafers are plenty acceptable when wearing a nice shirt or sweater. The sport coat is just added for a good look of casual dress and in no way can be considered a "too dressy" look, unless you are attending a biker event or anywhere you see ponytails on the over sixty guys.

My wife is a very nice dresser, so I like to dress as nice as I can for her, as well as for my own self esteem. Sebastian Maniscalo, a very funny guy does a monologue titled, "aren't you embarrassed?" And in that vein he adequately points out the tendency toward slovenly behavior as an added aspect of the general sloppiness that has become the American social norm..

Old 02-18-2020, 01:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I remember first noticing this look in the early 2000's, it looks like a person knows what to do, but not know how to do it. I think it is not even close to being pretentious. It is a look I will never understand, reminds me of an elderly guy thinking they are under society pressure to look somewhat formal every time they step out of the bedroom, but reality is they do not want to, so this look is a compromise. combined with tucking the front of your shirt in so everyone can see your belt buckle, you will be rocking it, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty