Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 10:48 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times

Advertisements

I can't stand them and find them repulsive, so I don't understand why anyone would try to emulate them. They are fake, plastic, self-absorbed, unlikable people who do nothing except market/exploit themselves to make yet more $$$. IMO, they are the epitome of narcissism and greed. But considering their continued success, many people seem to love them so I am probably in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I notice the influence in the extreme makeup of many younger women.
This may be a regional thing, or maybe an ethnic thing, or maybe just a high school thing. I haven't seen it in the Southwest, nor on the West Coast, though I haven't been to LA. A lot of Bay Area, Central Coast and Seattle-area women don't wear makeup, which hasn't changed since I was in college. Others wear subtle makeup. And for sure, no one's getting their boobs and rear done, especially in such an exaggerated, cartoonish way. But I can see how that would be a popular look in Brazil, where plastic surgery has been made affordable to nearly everyone, and where the butt-lift fad has been big since before the K's. The Vlogger claims it's not just in Brazil, but everywhere. I don't see French or British or Scandi women going for this en masse, though.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:04 PM

127 posts, read 61,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I notice the influence in the extreme makeup of many younger women.

Oh, yes! Extreme face contouring! A lot of young women went and purchased contouring kits by the dozens. Had 10 lbs of highlighter, concealers, illuminators, before even getting to the foundation.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
An 11-minute video? PP, are you profiting off all these random videos you share?

I see this woman's point, but it's a trend just like the trends she compared in the clip. People were alarmed when Kate Moss's extremely thin body was supposedly "the standard" and "heroin chic" was a thing.

These threads are mostly clickbait for people who love to hate on the Kardashians. Their influence is considerable but not comprehensive. I haven't seen a ton of surgically enhanced teens running around.

Like most extreme fashion trends, it filters down so that makeup and nails (and babies LOL) are what the "commoners" are copying.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, there is always a certain fraction of people who want to be downwardly socially mobile. Emulating the K family is a way to achieve that. "High class" is not a phrase that ever comes to mind when thinking of those people.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Well, there is always a certain fraction of people who want to be downwardly socially mobile. Emulating the K family is a way to achieve that.

Downward social mobility?

Well, they went from bougie SoCal daughters of an attorney to regular White House visits, Paris runway shows, corporate CEOs and in the top 5 number of followers on social media accounts.

It may not fit your definition of class, but it doesn't fit my definition of "downward," either.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Well even in a field , a cowpaddy, attracts alot of flies
So yeah downward suits them.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 PM

813 posts, read 402,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, there is always a certain fraction of people who want to be downwardly socially mobile. Emulating the K family is a way to achieve that. "High class" is not a phrase that ever comes to mind when thinking of those people.
Can you be specific on why "High class" would not fit these millionaires?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 PM

12 posts, read 11,644 times
Unfollow them on instagram and follow women who are more inspiring like obama. Feels good.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Who?

I would never have known who the Kardashians were if I hadn't read about them on this forum a long time ago, and then I had to look them up online to see what all the fuss was about. And then I thought "meh, they all seem phony, catty and calculating in attitude and they look kind of skanky and sleazy in appearance." I guess if they make lots of money now with their business enterprises they'll have their riches to fall back on when everything else falls down on them when they're older. They can't maintain those plastic looks forever.

But anyway, no, I have never seen any kind of Kardashian effect up in my neck of the woods and I live near a very cosmopolitan, modern, prosperous west coast metropolitan area - Hollywood North et al. Rarely see young women wearing heavy makeup - some light eye makeup and lip gloss seems to be the extent of it, if anything - definitely no butt uplifts and breast implants. Most dress comfortably casual but nice looking, not trashy, and when they do get all spiffed up for work or to go out to some dressy occasion they look wholesome and classy, not skanky and too revealing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty