Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

A lot of what was worn was influenced by the drug culture. But most people did not dress that way. I was sewing for myself and my firstborn, and I remember the bell bottoms, the easy silhouettes, the cute caps, the beginning of the reign of trousers for women, fondly. There was actually a controversy about whether women should be “allowed” to wear pants in the workplace.

And designer jeans became a thing. Some people had their jeans dry cleaned, to keep them dark.

A lot happened in the 1970s besides too much facial hair on men, and grubby tee shirts. As always, you had choices. Some stuff was bad. Women in the workplace often had to wear stupid looking suits with shirts and little bows tied around their necks. The drug culture influenced the sloppy hair look. Young girls wore stick straight long hair. But there was a lot going on during that decade that influenced fashion permanently.

I got sort of lost in the 1980s. Most of that fashion was not interesting to me, although I do remember owning a beautiful royal blue suit that I loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 10:33 AM

127 posts, read 61,410 times
I was a small child in the 70's but some of their fashions were...interesting. The 80's..neon colors, huge hair that was coated in Aqua Net so that rooster tail wouldn't move an inch. We wore very baggy clothing too. Oversized sweatshirts, baggy pants... oh and who can forget..SHOULDER PADS! If your blouse didn't have them, you could purchase a set from a fabric store and sew them in yourself. Some of them were huge.

There are fashions from both decades that I liked but as far as which one was worse...it's hard to say.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:27 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. We might look back and think, "ugh," but most people walking around wearing the clothes of the time (at the time they were fashionable) thought they looked pretty cute. No matter what era, few people walk out the door in clothes they think are ugly.
No, actually, some people didn't think the clothes looked "cute". Some avoided shopping in the 80's, bought 70's vintage or made their own fashion. The 80's were when tailoring was abandoned completely, so clothes were either shapeless, or designers simply put elastic in the waist of dresses and called it a day, instead of having a tailored waist and bust. Basically sacks with elastic waists. Some of the color-contrast detail was nice, but the clothes looked like manufacturers were too cheap to pay staff to do any stitching but the most basic. And the drab "men's wear" look for the office in the later 80's was horrible.

Oh, and the post above mine, by sunshine twelve, reminds me of the shoulder pads. *shudder* It was a nightmare decade overall.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:37 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, actually, some people didn't think the clothes looked "cute". Some avoided shopping in the 80's, bought 70's vintage or made their own fashion. The 80's were when tailoring was abandoned completely, so clothes were either shapeless, or designers simply put elastic in the waist of dresses and called it a day, instead of having a tailored waist and bust. Basically sacks with elastic waists. Some of the color-contrast detail was nice, but the clothes looked like manufacturers were too cheap to pay staff to do any stitching but the most basic. And the drab "men's wear" look for the office in the later 80's was horrible.

Oh, and the post above mine, by sunshine twelve, reminds me of the shoulder pads. *shudder* It was a nightmare decade overall.
That's reading a little much into it, Ruth. People generally wear the clothes they want to wear, sure, and there are always trends that don't work for everyone. I was born in the 70s and was in grade school through the 80s, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Generally though, when people look back at pictures and think, 'oh, I can't believe I wore that, " it's not like they were the only ones Everyone was wearing their version of what they thought made them look good.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:44 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I was a mother of young children, and a stay at home mom at that, during the 80's. We had one income, so new clothes (for me) didn't happen too much.

I remember over size shirts, and velour. And 'off the shoulder' tops, a la Flashdance.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:49 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Fashion for the 70s and 80s were really bad. Which decade do you think was worse?

I don't know enough about it......BUT........I know I love some retro fashion & low cut jeans....(they were called hip huggers then???) or the flowers & daisies added to stuff. AND...big sunglasses. Wasn't that in the 70s too?

Old 04-13-2020, 11:50 AM

When I think of 70's fashion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lODBVM802H8

Old 04-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't know enough about it......BUT........I know I love some retro fashion & low cut jeans....(they were called hip huggers then???) or the flowers & daisies added to stuff. AND...big sunglasses. Wasn't that in the 70s too?
Yes.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:55 PM

35 posts, read 20,398 times
IMO, the 70s were the worst.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabeTime View Post
IMO, the 70s were the worst.
I don't remember the 70's, except for hippie clothes as an extension of the 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty