Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any permanent makeup procedures done?

I always wanted to at least get my brows filled as they are terrible sparse, but found it a bit pricey. Well here in Mexico, the prices are irresistibly low and I decided why not. Let me tell you, I've experience procedures in the hospital without anesthesia due to not having a ride home and let me tell you, the pain I felt during this, I wanted to slap away the hands of the tech almost every swipe. Having said that, I would do it again. My eyes are still swollen but, knowing I won't have to search to no end for the right brow and eyeliner makeup for 6 months to a couple of years again, makes it totally worth it. I have very sensitive eye areas, so probably why my pain tolerance was less than others, but, all I kept thinking was people are big fibbers when they say it doesn't hurt.

I can tolerate the pain once or twice a year for the freedom this will allow me. But then again check back with me in a couple of weeks. I know for sure, I couldn't, as I suspected, ever sit through regular body tattoo procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

I always wanted to at least get my brows filled as they are terrible sparse, but found it a bit pricey. Well here in Mexico, the prices are irresistibly low and I decided why not. Let me tell you, I've experience procedures in the hospital without anesthesia due to not having a ride home and let me tell you, the pain I felt during this, I wanted to slap away the hands of the tech almost every swipe. Having said that, I would do it again. My eyes are still swollen but, knowing I won't have to search to no end for the right brow and eyeliner makeup for 6 months to a couple of years again, makes it totally worth it. I have very sensitive eye areas, so probably why my pain tolerance was less than others, but, all I kept thinking was people are big fibbers when they say it doesn't hurt.

I can tolerate the pain once or twice a year for the freedom this will allow me. But then again check back with me in a couple of weeks. I know for sure, I couldn't, as I suspected, ever sit through regular body tattoo procedures.

Be careful tho...cheap isn't always better. I'd have breast implants by an amazing surgeon before I'd have techs touching my face twice a year! I've heard how painful it is & I'm super protective of my face! I like applying makeup & having different looks for different occasions tho...AND more natural too.

BUT....have a speedy recovery.....it sounds like you will be super happy with the results.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

I wouldn't cheap out by going to Mexico. I wouldn't trust their sanitation guidelines and practices. Your eyes shouldn't have been swollen. Mine weren't red or swollen when my procedure was complete. I could have gone out to dinner right afterwards, and no one would have been able to tell I just had them done.

There's already a thread on the topic that you may want to read through: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...roblading.html
(I posted a before/after pic in that thread. The after pic was taken literally when I stood up from the chair. The redness you see on my forehead is just from my foundation being removed when she cleaned the area at the start of the procedure. It's not redness from the procedure itself.)

Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I had permanent eyebrows "done" in a facility in the US. Total cost (including the touch up a few weeks later) was about $300. I LOVE it. I didn't go extreme.

The technician numbed the area and it was only mildly uncomfortable, certainly well worth it to me.

She did say though it is considered "permanent" I will probably need continued touchups about once every 5 years or so. I'm OK with that.

I am considering the eyeliner but I have more reservations about that procedure.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
The fact that it was that painful is a little concerning to me.

My brows are microbladed and I love them. I had numbing creme and it did not hurt.

My still look great 18 months later.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

My brows are microbladed and I love them. I had numbing creme and it did not hurt.

I too am concerned as to why it hurt so much which is why I won't be going back to the same beauty tech. Same to similar prices was the same at many other salon's where I checked pricing, but, yes, I might pay a bit more to go to the top rated places, might cost me maybe $25 or a little less over what I paid to the person who did my first service this week. This particular person had plenty of pictures and reviews, but, thought I'm happy I got it done, I found her somewhat lacking which is part of why Iwill use another salon next time.

========================================

For those concerned about pricing, lower price doesn't me poorer quality when comparing USA prices to Mexico, I'm not here in a third world place that doesn't have strict standards in place. I do realize in some peoples minds they think of a Tijuana kind or Mexico, anyone who's visited the vast other areas of Mexico, know the beauty that is the majority of this country. Also, I've been here in Mexico for 8 months, so I didn't nor do I suggest anyone make a trip here just for the lower prices, I was just shocked at the difference in their beauty service prices as compared to the US. The lower prices are standard, it's not cheap service, just less expensive that what I know the prices are in the US.

If it came across that I was suggesting someone pay for a round trip ticket to save a few hundred dollars I assure you, that wasn't my point. I just emphasized price comparisons because Mexico is where I had the service done and of course at a great price. I really asked if others had experience with getting these types of service to chime in about their experience. If people want to argue the point, by all means do so, but, I would like to hear from those who have had the service done and what's it's been like for them.

Also, not everyone will experience the same things after a procedure, some will swell some won't, I've done plenty of reading up on the matter, I didn't go into this blindly. I have more extreme reactions to most things even same as I have had over many years going through various procedure back in the US, so, I did expect some swelling my eyes, especially are super sensitive my skin on my body breaks out if a few flecks of simple things like cedar, all the red peppers and many other things come in contact with my skin, I break out in hives. The experiences I've had with swelling gives me shivers to think about. Anyway in spite of everything, so far I'm mostly happy with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat. Microblading and other Permanent Makeup-microblading.jpeg

Not the best quality photo, but that's what it looked like yesterday, I will wait for at least a week to update the results.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had permanent eyebrows "done" in a facility in the US. Total cost (including the touch up a few weeks later) was about $300. I LOVE it. I didn't go extreme.

The technician numbed the area and it was only mildly uncomfortable, certainly well worth it to me.

She did say though it is considered "permanent" I will probably need continued touchups about once every 5 years or so. I'm OK with that.

I am considering the eyeliner but I have more reservations about that procedure.
I had the eyeliner done as well, was a little less painful. I think this particular tech just didn't have a soft touch. I've always wanted both, just happens, the price here made it more feasible to just knock them both out in the same session while I was here. Places I had lived, the prices for just one procedure were well over $300, almost double that price and up.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I am shopping around for this as I write. My eyebrows are a shadow of their former selves. I am OK at applying my makeup, but this is beyond makeup. I want to wake up in the morning with eyebrows, I want to go kayaking, or swim without fear that moisture, perspiration, and humidity will smear my face with makeup. Good eyebrows can make or break you. Sparse eyebrows are aging. Appling them myself, by hand, every time I want to look good, is a time consuming and arduous task.
Again, it rules out certain activities.

I was preparing to do it this year, then COVID happened.

Kathryn, the price your quoted is the same as where I live, in Ohio. I don't think it's expensive. I don't wear a full face of makeup every day. I want to look awake and alive weather wearing makeup or not.

Now my state has re-opened. My main fear is that they will go overboard. I do not want to look like Joan Crawford. I have seen younger people with "caterpillar brows". This is not for me. I want it to be natural looking.

Back in December, when I was calling places, I was told I'd need a touch up every three years.

Are there slightly different procedures? Five years is better for me. I am OK with either, at this point.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

That's good to hear.

What type of pain is it? On a scale of 1-10, what can I expect? I don't like certain types of pressure, pain. Deep tissue massage? Bring it on. Eyebrow tweezing or tattoos - ewww. I have one small tattoo and I found it excruciating.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I would consider having this done also depending on the cost and level of pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty