Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What makes a person look "older"?

I can see a picture of someone young, and then older, and I can tell, they look older.

But I cannot seem to pinpoint exactly the changes to the features, or even the words to describe what makes them look older.

There are some actors who are in the 30s but look like they are 20s or younger. Brendon Thwaites is such an example. He even plays Nightwing on Titans. He looks extremely young but is in his thirties. A costar is in his 20s but plays a teenage Tim Drake. I could never tell he was in his 20s.

Keenu Reeves with makeup looks younger, when in the the latest Bill and Ted movie he looks old. I just cannot pinpoint what it is or how to describe what makes him look older.
I’d say that the gap between the 20’s and 30’s isn’t really that great. It’s why you get a ton of actors in their late 20’s and 30’s playing high school seniors or college freshmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 03:37 PM

87 posts, read 59,792 times
Skin sagging , wrinkles, dark spots, grey hair

Old 10-18-2020, 03:37 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
A thin, rope-y neck.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I used to wonder the same thing when I was young enough to not have any of the obvious aging signs.

In the younger ages, it seems to be loss of baby-fat....a less-round "cherubic" face which shows more angles and planes as one ages. That can be an attractive look.

Later on, the sagging around the jowls, "marionette lines" and a "turkey-neck" which can start in one's 40s.

I wonder that same thing re the "look" of different nationalities. I see the difference, but can't pinpoint those differences.
That sounds like the 60's. I don't know any 40-something women with any of those signs of aging.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:56 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
What I know about myself that makes me look "older" as I approach 60:

#1 Loss of Elasticity

- I have the loosening of the jowls around my jaw line and neck. I am not particularly overweight, so some of this is aging, and some is hereditary. When I "pull" my skin back, I see the younger me. I think this is why face lifts, and neck lifts, for those that can afford them, are popular.
- My eyelids cover more of my eyelids than before. I notice this when applying eye makeup.
- I have had children, and have a sit-down job, and I have the loose belly fat around my middle to show for it Use to be able to eat what I wanted and my belly stayed as tight as a drum.

#2 Cosmetic Defects:

- I have a few age spots, even though I was never an avid sun worshiper
- My teeth are not as white as they were. Whitening helps, but it is only temporary.
- I am starting to gray, but cover it with hair color and hi-lights, and will continue to do so. Gray hair is aging, especially on a women, in my opinion. Not gonna go for the mother earth, gray pony tail look. But, to each his own.

#3 Fashion Changes:

- I cannot wear short sleeve or sleeveless shirts any more. My upper arms are too flabby. 3/4 length sleeves are my friend. Even in summer. I also don't wear shorts or "capris". No open toe shoes or sandals either. Feet age too. And it's not a pretty sight.

There are the realities. Not nice ones, but honest ones. I was an attractive young women, and got a lot of attention for my looks. I think aging is harder on those of us for whom our attractiveness yielded a certain power. But, I try to look as good as I can, and stay somewhat stylish. I don't wear pastel pantsuits with kittens or puppies on them, nor do I try to look like I did as a teen, or copy the look of my daughter. I aim for a polished and healthy look.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:10 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:

I can see a picture of someone young, and then older, and I can tell, they look older.

But I cannot seem to pinpoint exactly the changes to the features, or even the words to describe what makes them look older.

There are some actors who are in the 30s but look like they are 20s or younger. Brendon Thwaites is such an example. He even plays Nightwing on Titans. He looks extremely young but is in his thirties. A costar is in his 20s but plays a teenage Tim Drake. I could never tell he was in his 20s.

Keenu Reeves with makeup looks younger, when in the the latest Bill and Ted movie he looks old. I just cannot pinpoint what it is or how to describe what makes him look older.

- Skin loses elasticity & that youthful appearance
- Jowls
- Weight gain/fuller face eve if the person doesn't have a weight problem
- Hair loss/thinning hair
- Loose neck skin called turkey neck
- Skin on hands really gives the age away

Then, there's the things that cause it:

- Smoking, drinking, drugs
- Stress
- Bad diet
- Sleep loss
- Certain diseases/ailments
- Sedentary lifestyle (no exercise)

Here's one of many good articles about aging:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-aging-2224347

When I look at people, I can usually tell their age. Brendon Thwaites is only 31 & looks it, so he looks exactly his age to me. Most people in their 20s & 30s all look just as young as each other, unless they've really aged badly.

Some celebs who really look pretty good for their age are:

- Tom Cruise
- Denzel Washington
- John Stamos
- Chadwick Boseman (I know he just passed)
- Jennifer Lopez
- Angela Bassett
- Cindy Crawford
- William Shatner
- Jennifer Aniston
- Rob Lowe
- Keanu Reeves
- Sigourney Weaver

Then there's always those who look their age or older than their age.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:48 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I had the impression the OP was NOT asking about what makes a person look old/elderly, but more about what makes a person no longer look like a young adult.
Not age spots and turkey neck, but what marks the difference between the way someone looks as an older teen or young twenty something and when they look like a more mature 'older' late twenties or early thirties?

Old 10-18-2020, 07:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:

Heavy (ab)use of substances can age people, make them look what we think of as "hard." You can see it in the eyes and puffiness, in men the nose gets all messed up, too. Doesn't take more than a decade in some cases.

Perfect teeth are obvious cosmetic improvements, better living through veneers. Summer teeth, i.e "Some 'er goin' that way, some 'er goin' t'other!" makes no one look good, and may indicate age. A good smile is important in modern life: another way the haves and have-nots differentiate, seems to me.

Cigarettes are awful on the complexion. Pot, I dunno.

Skin clarity and tone, absent makeup, may have something to do with it. Mine is good due to no alcohol or cigarettes, nor do I work outside for with constant sun, wind, and rain. Look at commercial fishermen after a few decades.

Stress does not help: friend of mine looks like two miles of bad road, now at 43. I knew him at 25, he looked younger and fresher. He's got emotional problems, like crippling anxiety and more. I call him 'the savant' because he's world class at coding, hence makes tons of money...but he gets into dumb situations in his personal life, then obsesses. Hmm.

In men, a spotting of gray or silver has a big impact. However, men are all over the place as to when that starts to creep in. I'm 53, have all my hair, and I'm spotting some gray or silver in my hair clippings anymore. It's inevitable. I keep my hair short as it looks genuinely bad long, that's a bummer for me.

Degree of baldness ages men, usually. Unless your name is Patrick Stewart.

Lines on the eyes and forehead age men and women. Hence the use of botox, among other reasons. If I cared I'd look into it, for me. This is not to say I won't, ever, but it depends how I age further.

A subtle combo of the above tends to lend opinions regarding if someone looks 'younger' or 'older.'

Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
"What makes a person look older?"

Well, age makes a person look older. (Yuk, yuk!)

I've taken many roads in life. Some of those roads weren't paved....

Old 10-18-2020, 11:02 PM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
Quote:
In short: Lifestyle, Genetics, Stress

If you have good genetics you may be blessed with a life without early wrinkles. But stress, drinking, drugs, smoking can do hell on the body.

There was a study done a while back on identical twins. One twin was a smoker, the other non-smoker.

Care to a guess that didn't age well?

https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/healt...ins/index.html
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/654484
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-twins-2013-11

As for me me being in my 40's I aged better then many of my peers. I don't do drugs or smoke. As for
drinking, I may have a rare beer or wine. But it never appealed to me. IMO my genetics are decent.

As a teen in HS I was already bigger than most of my classmates. I already had an older look to my face. Many older people said I looked a bit like Clark Gable. I was like sure, ok if you say so.

It could be worse than looking like these three throughout the year. All I need to do as change my hairstyle.

Clark Gable (short hair, mustache)
Stone Austin (bald, goatee)
Grizzly Adams / Nick Brimble (long hair, full beard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty