Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 02:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

Pseudo science to get clicks.

The more underpants you have, the longer you can keep them since you are rotating wear. If you only have two pairs they will wear out faster. No brainer.

Use wet wipes, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 03:11 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
LOL at the very thought of a TikTok user being a valid source of knowledge. This is Chinese propaganda to encourage low IQ people to buy cheap underwear every six months.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:14 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, does she wear it every day? If so, then I'd have to say: yes, chuck it after 6 months.

Aren't you supposed to change it every day, and have a 1-week rotation, give or take? If you only wear each pair once a week, why would you have to throw it after 24 wearings, or less, even (if y ou have more than a week's stash)?

I wonder if the author has done the math.
I presume TikTok users would not understand math and let the circumstances prove otherwise.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 03-28-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 03:50 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Five years ago, she got “recurring infections” for which she saw a gynecologist who inquired about the material of her underwear. According to Kitty Chemist, the cotton strip on her lace underwear carried traces of vaginal bacteria and the texture irritated her skin.

In another video, Kitty Chemist responded to comments that her claims were untrue, pointing to a 2019 article published in Essence. “Never keep panties for more than 6-9 months,” Dr. Tosha Rogers, an Atlanta-based OBGYN, wrote in the article. “There is a reason that they are $5 ladies: they are not meant to be held as family heirlooms. Buy 4 or 5 new undies every six months and simultaneously toss out 4 or 5 old ones.”
So my first concern about Kitty's kitty, is does she shave or wax? Shaving invites all kinds of skin bacterial trouble down there. I think her doc may have gone in the wrong direction blaming the cotton underwear strip, unless it was really low quality cotton or not 100% cotton. And does Kitty wear tight leggings?

Second doctor is also full of it. I think they assume people are not very hygienic and don't properly launder their undergarments.

That said, I did go on a quest to figure out how to launder intimates like bedsheets and underwear when people in my house were sick. With OCD research, the best I found was hospital type sanitizers (overkill) or chlorine bleach which ruins fabric and some people are also sensitive to it. What grossed me out about underwear wasn't bacteria from our privates, it was the fecal bacteria that gets in our underwear (even if you are super hygienic, it's always there and your underwear absorbs it). Regular washing did not remove all of it.

What I've done is I only get light colored sheets, underwear, towels and I use chlorine bleach, but sparingly and not every wash. I like good underwear I can keep for a long time, and wear a very thin unscented panty liner most days. I use a separate hamper for underwear, a basket with a lot of holes for ventilation. When I launder I spray the inside of the underwear with a vinegar and water solution. I discovered tea tree oil is a great anti-bacterial and antifungal so I put a half teaspoon of that in the washer with my detergent.
Dry fully on medium heat and the underwear comes out clean and fresh.

I don't believe anyone has to do this or toss underwear after six months (they are barely broken in at that point) to avoid infections, I just researched about laundry sanitizing and didn't like the fecal matter thing so I take a couple extra steps.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am still wearing under wear with my name imprinted by rehab after open heart in 2010,T shirt and bottoms.
They are mixed with newer one's,Fruit of the Loom.
OMG! And you're alive to share this!

Seriously who gets their advice from Tik Tok? I'm officially one of the old people who can brag or grumble that I have socks older than these kids.

Who replaces all of their underwear every 6 months? What is she doing where she is growing mold in her under britches? Does she work for an undies company and wants a raise?

Old 03-28-2021, 04:27 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Hang your skivvies, and anything else you want sanitized, in the sun. UV light is a natural disinfectant.

Also, my washing machine has a sanitizing cycle. I assume most washers do these days. Dryers don't disinfect everything.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:39 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
OMG! And you're alive to share this!

Seriously who gets their advice from Tik Tok? I'm officially one of the old people who can brag or grumble that I have socks older than these kids.

Who replaces all of their underwear every 6 months? What is she doing where she is growing mold in her under britches? Does she work for an undies company and wants a raise?
To be fair the tik tocker was quoting doctors who seemed to blame underwear for some of their patients problems. A lot of quacky doctors out there too.

Of course some underwear can cause problems like allergies with some people but not cuz they are seven or ten months old.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
To be fair the tik tocker was quoting doctors who seemed to blame underwear for some of their patients problems. A lot of quacky doctors out there too.

Of course some underwear can cause problems like allergies with some people but not cuz they are seven or ten months old.
Who's growing mold in their drawers?! These doctors totally sound like quacks. Are they ACTUAL doctors or folks who play one on tv? Yeah the underwear are the problem if you don't change them except for every 6 months!

Old 03-28-2021, 04:52 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So my first concern about Kitty's kitty, is does she shave or wax? Shaving invites all kinds of skin bacterial trouble down there. I think her doc may have gone in the wrong direction blaming the cotton underwear strip, unless it was really low quality cotton or not 100% cotton. And does Kitty wear tight leggings?

Second doctor is also full of it. I think they assume people are not very hygienic and don't properly launder their undergarments.

That said, I did go on a quest to figure out how to launder intimates like bedsheets and underwear when people in my house were sick. With OCD research, the best I found was hospital type sanitizers (overkill) or chlorine bleach which ruins fabric and some people are also sensitive to it. What grossed me out about underwear wasn't bacteria from our privates, it was the fecal bacteria that gets in our underwear (even if you are super hygienic, it's always there and your underwear absorbs it). Regular washing did not remove all of it.

What I've done is I only get light colored sheets, underwear, towels and I use chlorine bleach, but sparingly and not every wash. I like good underwear I can keep for a long time, and wear a very thin unscented panty liner most days. I use a separate hamper for underwear, a basket with a lot of holes for ventilation. When I launder I spray the inside of the underwear with a vinegar and water solution. I discovered tea tree oil is a great anti-bacterial and antifungal so I put a half teaspoon of that in the washer with my detergent.
Dry fully on medium heat and the underwear comes out clean and fresh.

I don't believe anyone has to do this or toss underwear after six months (they are barely broken in at that point) to avoid infections, I just researched about laundry sanitizing and didn't like the fecal matter thing so I take a couple extra steps.
I also wonder if the TikTok-er is a regular thong wearer (she did mention wearing them, but didn't state how frequently she did so) and/or wears underwear to bed. Those two things combined with wearing tight pants (especially those made of synthetic fabrics) can aggravate lady issues.

No matter how clean a person keeps their nether regions, there's a certain amount of fecal bacteria that can mosey on into the vulvar area--especially when wearing a thong or g-string. It's also good to let things air out overnight.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 03-28-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 05:32 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Edibles do not wear long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty