Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:35 PM

572 posts, read 325,781 times

Advertisements

Having only one dress to wear feels very scary. Some people have really tough life apart from those who do not like many dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I had one suit for over a year, only made different by a couple of ties and three different button up shirts, two of which were a different shade of white.

When my wife worked at Macy's, she wore the exact same red (iirc) shirt and black pants every day, it was the required color, she saw zero reason to invest any money into anything different for such a low end job.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:04 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
What some people are missing is that my mom had literally 2 pieces of clothing. It’s not about dresses. I rarely wear a dress. It was 1934 and people were in such tough spots. I think it affected her entire life as she always loved clothes and had a closet full.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:23 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
In 9th grade, we had a nun who taught Algebra. She wore the same plain blue dress every day. It got brought up at the reunions. Nuns do take a vow of poverty but the ones we had were allowed to have a wardrobe. I wonder why she chose to
do that. Pretty sad.
More importantly, have you used any of that algebra since then?

Old 05-28-2021, 05:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My mom was in 8th grade and so ashamed that she quit school when my grandma was in the hospital. My grandma didn’t find out until she came home from the hospital. It’s hard for me to even conceive of that level of hardship.
Makes me wish she'd written kind of a memoir-article about that experience.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Like the woman on Seinfeld who only wore one dress.
I'm not familiar with that, but there's a difference between choosing to wear only one thing, and being so poor that you can afford only one thing.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:19 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
A lot of well off people are into minimalism. Using accessories and select pieces to make more out of a wardrobe than there is at first glance. People like Ms. Steiner probably helped pave the way for the movement without ever intending to.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:40 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
What some people are missing is that my mom had literally 2 pieces of clothing. It’s not about dresses. I rarely wear a dress. It was 1934 and people were in such tough spots. I think it affected her entire life as she always loved clothes and had a closet full.
I think my grandmother was extremely poor, she was born in the early 1900's. She had 7 siblings, and it was probably hard for the parents to provide clothing and shoes for 8 kids. Later in my grandmother's life, she had a lot of nice clothing, but her shoe collection was amazing, she had at least 75 pair, and she kept them in their original boxes. They were under the beds, in closets...etc. As a child, I loved looking at all of her shoes.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:28 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Only have the one dress reason being I hardly ever go anywhere to dress up.. its five years old and still looks new Ill probably never wear it again but keep it just in case.. as it was nice one.. I had an accident back then and a very badly bruised leg which never healed properly and has a like a fat deposit just under my knee which I hate..others probably wouldnt notice but I do ... so it would have to be a longer dress with boots or whatever to look nice.. so Ill stick with my denims. trousers and jeggins for now..

Old 05-28-2021, 11:46 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I don't understand why anyone would find this shocking. My mother briefly worked in a department store before WWII. She had to borrow or remake a black dress for her job. She wore that same black dress every single day. So what? A lot of people back then had one dress for everyday and one good dress for church or a holiday.

If anyone saw the movie or read the book, Ladies in Black, it depicts department store workers in an upscale Australian department store during the 1950s. The store gave the clerks a black dress and they had to wear that same black dress everyday to work, including the women who worked in the couture department. These women were not poor. Today's uniform might consist of a red polo shirt for a store job with the store logo. How many do you think you are going to own?

If anyone lives in older housing, you'll notice that closets were smaller. People had a lot less stuff. Yes, men also had one suit for everyday and one good suit for funerals, church, holidays. Suits were expensive relative to the average paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty