Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 10:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
You’re both right. If watches were exclusively for telling time, you’re right that a phone is more accurate; and for time immemorial we just went by our bodies and daylight. Telling accurate time is really rooted in early explorers’ ship navigation, but for the masses is mostly a byproduct of the industrial revolution, when we all became good little soldiers and had to show up on time for a job.

Watches today are jewelry for men, but if they were just jewelry it wouldn’t necessarily be functional. That’s the beauty of watches: they are part of your vibe but happen to be functional.

I’m not always able to draw a phone out while working, so a watch is actually a practical thing. But it’s nice to also look at something which, on your wrist, can do what it does. I have a variety of watches from digital Casios to a mechanical dive style watch, and it’s amazing to think about how that kind of functionality was put on a wrist in all of those forms long before smartphones existed.

Now I’m a bit biased both in that I’m a bit of a Luddite and in that by now I feel a bit naked not having some kind of watch on my wrist, and it’s really nice to have a small bit of luxury on your wrist to admire in some way - even if that luxury is an 80s looking, ugly, blocky thing I got for $20 but still tells time in every time zone globally. Or, my really kitsch gold tone calculator watch. Or all the way up to my hefty diver with the smooth hand sweep, different metal finishes on different surfaces, and the lume which still shines enough predawn to see the time; bonus points awarded since NATO straps make it a cinch to match a watch to the situation or clothing you’re going to be in. It’s an easy way for a guy to obsess over an accessory the way ladies do over shoes, purses, etc.

Functionality and finery coexist in watches, and that’s increasingly hard to find as function becomes so commoditized in a cold digital world.
It seems like you used my post simply as a jumping off point to tell us more about your watch thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 12:30 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,706,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That doesn't make any difference. (I've had those, too.) The problem isn't about winding them. My EM field is too strong. It can't overcome a battery-driven one. I have a friend who can't even wear battery-driven watches. He said they sometimes lose time, sometimes gain, sometimes stop for awhile, then start again, lol.
Your EM field? What, are you wearing a bunch of magnets around your wrist or something?

Old 08-01-2021, 12:51 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
according to social media, many people seem to think that David Beckham has a very attractive, um, watch

https://therandyreport.com/flashback...autiful-watch/

Old 08-01-2021, 12:56 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I find it funny that some are so devoted and invested in the archaic carrying of a timepiece attached to one's wrist when virtually all of them carry an extremely diverse tool at all times that includes the performance of all functions of the timepiece. I go many days with never referring to anything other than my body clock for understanding what time it is within the parameters I require.
A watch is a discrete way of checking the time at a department meeting. I can glance at my watch to check the time while repairing a dirty greasy piece of machinery instead of touching my phone with my dirty hands. I also use the stop watch feature at work for timed chemical water test. Some jobs prefer you don’t have your phone in your hand while working. Some jobs are just too rough and dirty for using a smartphone to check the time.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:57 AM

8,532 posts, read 4,769,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It seems like you used my post simply as a jumping off point to tell us more about your watch thing.
Kind of...? It still stands that it is a very recent thing that we’d even want a timepiece, most of human history mirrors what you said about just using nature or your body clock. If modern society weren’t what it is, telling time either by phone or watch wouldn’t be a thing at all. It did strike me that your statement about watches being archaic was kind of ironic in that context; and it also entirely missed the point of why watch wearers wear a watch. It isn’t just about cold logic, it’s also fascination, fashion, maybe admiration for wearing a minor mechanical marvel on your wrist, and in some cases even a status symbol (the latter not applicable to me, lol).

Old 08-01-2021, 05:17 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,590,712 times
Quote:
The thing about Vincero is that they don’t make bad watches...they’re just not great for what you could get for equivalent money elsewhere; I instantly think of an Orient Bambino, or even the awfully-named Pagani Design. A lot of people pan the styling, I think they look decent, but they’re definitely fashion watches with strong marketing more than they are a serious watchmaker.

That said, if you like it, there’s nothing really wrong with them. They function well and you could do a lot worse.
I was just wondering if there was a better value or if there was a durability issue. I do like the styling of several and the cost seems reasonable.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Something that reflects what he really does in life. If he needs an analog watch to be able to read underwater, so be it.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:15 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
Quote:
Kind of...? It still stands that it is a very recent thing that we’d even want a timepiece, most of human history mirrors what you said about just using nature or your body clock. If modern society weren’t what it is, telling time either by phone or watch wouldn’t be a thing at all. It did strike me that your statement about watches being archaic was kind of ironic in that context; and it also entirely missed the point of why watch wearers wear a watch. It isn’t just about cold logic, it’s also fascination, fashion, maybe admiration for wearing a minor mechanical marvel on your wrist, and in some cases even a status symbol (the latter not applicable to me, lol).
In centuries past the technology for watches didn’t exist. Closest thing to a watch were wearable forms of sundials. Here is a site that sells these early form of timepieces https://www.shepherdswatch.com/
In larger cities the city or town had a large tower or church clock that would ring bells on the hour. When I visited Venice I was surprised to see one of these clocks that did not show minutes. It showed the hour and time of the zodiac. Railroad was the big motivation behind watches as well as the creation of time zones. The two great world wars led to soldiers crafting wrist watches from pocket watches which led to the trend of wearing them on the wrist instead of keeping them in the pocket. Early wrist watches were nothing more than a pocket watch with a makeshift watch band. The 20th century led to a 24hr a day economy with many factories and businesses being open 24 hours a day. The need for more precise time keeping grew. Cellphones, while very accurate, are essentially the same as a pocket watch. A smart watch is the best compromise to combine smartphone technology with wearable tech like a watch. For some people they don’t like the style and design of the smart watches and choose to stick with traditional watches. For others the price for decent brand smart watches is too high so they stick with more affordable watches from brands like Armitron, Casio, and Timex.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:53 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Kind of...? It still stands that it is a very recent thing that we’d even want a timepiece, most of human history mirrors what you said about just using nature or your body clock.
This is getting philosophical. But on the other hand, humans have been measuring time and building devices for the purpose pretty much since history began.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:12 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
The kind that keeps time accurately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty