Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

Does your area have a style of dress that seems so uniform that one would think they only have one type of clothing store in the area?

For example,here in the Philly 'hoods' -
Men-Summer- Standard issue baseball cap(backwards for youth),white t-shirts(oversized for youth,contractor ads for adults),something from local sports team at all times,cutoff denim shorts,and sneakers or workboots for the complete construction worker look
Men-Fall & Winter- Sweats,sweats,sweats...and football jerseys Youth- Black hoodies(looks like grim reaper convention).

Women-Summer- Sweatpants,white t,flip flops(that you can hear dragging from a block away),rubber band to tie hair up tight in a 'cleaning lady' look

Women-Winter- Not sure,most of them don't come out much in winter. But on rare occasions when dressed up, any pair of obnoxiously loud cloppy shoes.(What is it with the loud feet around here? Loud talking isn't enough?)

Other areas I've lived -
Central NJ - The women are mostly blonde(seconded by dark haired Italians),wear business attire even on the beach and those ever present corporate hoof shoes.

When I was down south I did notice the 'Larry the Cable Guy' look with the cutoff flannels and hunting caps

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
There isnt really a "uniform" where I live (Los Angeles) but one thing that is really common is the big sunglasses. Everyone has to have their big Prada or Gucci Sunglasses. Im a guy and I even have two pair of Prada sunglasses but I will never be on the idiots who wears their glasses indoors.

I'll never understand it. I see women (actually they are girls) who are wearing their sunglasses INDOORS !?!?! Its the stupidest thing ever.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 PM

I think 'Paris' started that.
Do they still carry little doggies in their bags also?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM

135 posts, read 479,377 times
In the deep south right now, it would have to be flip flops, shorts/skirts, COTTON short or no sleeve shirts.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Here in Northern VA most of the women are really dull - dull shoulder length hair in mousy brown, hardly any make-up, nothing sexy - plain Jane look
Men - short military hairbucts, khaki pants with lots of pockets for their PDAs and cell phones, boring business shirts

Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Wife says similar about Delaware,which is sort of near NoVA

Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Sandals or flip flops
t-shirt
shorts

OH, I live in Florida. I feel really put out when it gets down below 70 and I freeze to death and have to put on long pants.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
There isnt really a "uniform" where I live (Los Angeles) but one thing that is really common is the big sunglasses. Everyone has to have their big Prada or Gucci Sunglasses. Im a guy and I even have two pair of Prada sunglasses but I will never be on the idiots who wears their glasses indoors.

I'll never understand it. I see women (actually they are girls) who are wearing their sunglasses INDOORS !?!?! Its the stupidest thing ever.
I think Michael Jackson started that back in the 80's. There was even a song called "I wear my sunglasses at night". It's a celebrity thing...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
It is pretty varied where I live. I work downtown, so usually during the day I see a lot of suits and dark clothing on men and women. However the ubiquitous khaki's and blue button up shirt also seem to be common men (I never understood that look).

In the winter of course the most popular look for those of us who take the 'el' is to wrap oneself up in scarves and hats. I've left the house more than a few times in 5 degree weather with only my eyes showing.

Casually it runs gambit from the fashionista in pointy shoes to the fat guy in the Bears sweatshirt. I'm particularly fond of when they are occupying the same space. There is a little bar by my work that seems to attract all sorts from the local construction workers to the less pretentious 'suits', I go there for a drink sometimes after work and love it when see a guy wearing steel toed boots and a Bear's sweatshirt chatting up a woman in a black suit and spike heels, and they both appear to be having a good time. To me that just sums up Chicago at it's best.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
For the most part, we're pretty sinple folks here. Jeans and t-shirts for the guys, jeans and pheasant blouses or 'layered' shirts for the girls. Thats it. No 'status' needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty