Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 04:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,311,516 times

Advertisements

What are short, or tall, women supposed to do? I am 5'1" and under 100 lbs. Difficult enough to find a Junior size 0 or 1. Add to the problem is that dressing rooms still closed. Not because of covid precautions today, but "we are short staffed".

Had a brainstorm. What if I buy CROPPED jeans? Ordered them online. Summer Sale as well. Rolled down the small cuff and they came to my ankles! Perfect length!!!!!

Just passing this on for all the Petite Women out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:03 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
I have done that before lol!

Have you looked in the girls/kids section for jeans? They are usually shorter.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:15 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I have also bought cropped jeans and wore them uncuffed. While not exactly the same, even petite sizes come in a shorter length at Macy's.

The problem I have is that smaller sizes tend to be shorter. Larger petite sizes tend to be longer.

It would be awesome if womens sizes came in the same length variations as mens pants.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:57 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I have also bought cropped jeans and wore them uncuffed. While not exactly the same, even petite sizes come in a shorter length at Macy's.

The problem I have is that smaller sizes tend to be shorter. Larger petite sizes tend to be longer.

It would be awesome if womens sizes came in the same length variations as mens pants.
Levis used to have them.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
I used to wonder the same question. The real reason, I suspect, is that women are expected to be able to alter their pant leg lengths, but men are not, because either their wives or a seamstress does it for them. Pure sexism, which should have gone the way of the dodo at least 50 years ago.

My solution was to just buy jeans for men or boys, which came in waist and inseam variations.

Later on, when low-rise pants for women became popular, some of those actually fit me off the shelf. Standard rise pants choke my lower ribcage and sit “funny” because the butt area is too baggy on me.

I also have bought capris, whose lengths vary a fair bit. Never had any that were long enough to be like full-length pants, but they’re still better than having too-long pant legs that either drag on the ground in back or must be rolled up. I quit shortening and sewing the legs eons ago.

I do have one pair of men’s canvas pants that only came in waist size without different lengths, and that one is slightly too long. But since they will only be used for outdoor work, I just roll up the cuff.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:27 AM

254 posts, read 280,997 times
Try the small Misses sizes instead rather than Junior or Petite. I've never been able to shop Petite for slacks/jeans because the inseam gets shorter as the size gets bigger. Ends up the waist is way too big for the inseam I need. I had a little luck with the really small sizes in juniors when I was younger, but they were hard to find and were usually too trendy for my taste. So I switched over to Misses size in my late teens. Lee jeans come in 3 different inseam lengths and the shortest one works really well for me. As some else mentioned, Levi's have them by measurement. I've tried the crop jeans down to my ankles and usually don't like the way they hang off my legs. They seem to be baggy in all the wrong places on me at least.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:00 AM

53 posts, read 40,366 times
Women height variance is a lot less than men. I bought a pair of pants and they were too short and come up to above my ankles - relegated to homewear.

Not too long ago, I was a regular size. Over the years, my size has gone up, even though I stopped growing. What this means is that guys who were previously size S, are not a size L, if we assume they have not grown or put on any weight. Also, regular pants are now considered "Short Length" for the general male public, so us taller men need to by "Long Length".

This is a sign of the time. Having said this, this makes absolute sense. I believe younger males are shorter and more frail when compared to previous generations, so size inflation is a must else they would lose their customers if they had to purchase size S clothing - of course, this excludes immigrants to the West. Footwear has also needed to be inflated.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:10 AM

1,154 posts, read 274,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Levis used to have them.

Don't they have them anymore? I'm tall and slender and need to choose the length because off the rack doesn't fit unless they are Calvin Keins which fit great on tall women.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:28 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
Try the small Misses sizes instead rather than Junior or Petite. I've never been able to shop Petite for slacks/jeans because the inseam gets shorter as the size gets bigger. Ends up the waist is way too big for the inseam I need. I had a little luck with the really small sizes in juniors when I was younger, but they were hard to find and were usually too trendy for my taste. So I switched over to Misses size in my late teens. Lee jeans come in 3 different inseam lengths and the shortest one works really well for me. As some else mentioned, Levi's have them by measurement. I've tried the crop jeans down to my ankles and usually don't like the way they hang off my legs. They seem to be baggy in all the wrong places on me at least.
Another vote for Lee’s jeans, either petite or short. I am also 5”1 but much heavier than the OP, 140 lbs. I have to try them on, but usually a 12 petite works or a 10 short.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
According to
https://fashion-incubator.com/why-is...ike-mens-pt-2/

"Many believe men have it easier because numbers are used to indicate their sizing. This is true and false but because is the operative word here.
Men’s pants can be sold by numbers (waist and inseam) because the hip dimensions of men’s bodies (relative to waist size), is more easily predicted. It is because of their anatomy that numbers indicating hip measure is not needed to sell their pants.

This is not true for women. Women’s waist to hip difference can range from 12″ difference to the waist being several inches larger than the hips. So, the plea for women’s sizes to be sold like men’s is only similar if men’s pants were also sold by waist, inseam and hip. Since they are not, you can multiply the proverbial 99 sizes to get on the order of 300 sizes -duly noted are objections by Alison and others that makers aren’t required to produce all sizes."

Due to narrow hip, slim thighs and long legs I always buy men's jeans. Women jeans don't fit me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty