Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 05:16 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times

Advertisements

Lands End will hem their jeans and pants on request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 06:13 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
I'm glad you petite people have a solution. Those of us with 34"-36" inseams get stuck with high water pants. I can sew but not well enough to buy men's jeans and alter the waist, seat, hips, pockets, zipper placement, and leg width just so I can get an adequate leg length. And don't get me started about our jeans costing 50% than men's jeans when we get 5% of the size choices.

Lands End has severely limited the number of styles that they will hem. I don't think any of their jeans offer that option anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
According to
https://fashion-incubator.com/why-is...ike-mens-pt-2/

"Many believe men have it easier because numbers are used to indicate their sizing. This is true and false but because is the operative word here.
Men’s pants can be sold by numbers (waist and inseam) because the hip dimensions of men’s bodies (relative to waist size), is more easily predicted. It is because of their anatomy that numbers indicating hip measure is not needed to sell their pants.

This is not true for women. Women’s waist to hip difference can range from 12″ difference to the waist being several inches larger than the hips. So, the plea for women’s sizes to be sold like men’s is only similar if men’s pants were also sold by waist, inseam and hip. Since they are not, you can multiply the proverbial 99 sizes to get on the order of 300 sizes -duly noted are objections by Alison and others that makers aren’t required to produce all sizes."

Due to narrow hip, slim thighs and long legs I always buy men's jeans. Women jeans don't fit me well.
Think about that for a minute. For each waist measurement, women can have 15 different hip measurements. Are we offered pants that reflect that? No. If your waist is 26", somebody has decided your hips are 34", so that's what's on the rack, unless you can find a style that comes in slim, regular, curvy, etc.

Has anyone ordered from one of the made-to-fit companies where you send in your measurements and they make your pants? How did they come out? And how much did you pay?

Old 09-13-2021, 09:48 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Tall women might try their local Harley-Davidson dealer, for "motor-clothes." They'll be cut extra long, so they don't "ride up" when your knees are bent for a while. Like when you're on a motorcycle. (Don't be trying on the "leather jeans" as you'll have guys following you around the store!)

Also, the leather jackets have sleeves that are cut "long" so they don't ride up your forearms when holding the bars.

Go ahead, give'em a try. I won't even say, "I told ya so!"

Old 09-13-2021, 11:08 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Tall women might try their local Harley-Davidson dealer, for "motor-clothes." They'll be cut extra long, so they don't "ride up" when your knees are bent for a while. Like when you're on a motorcycle. (Don't be trying on the "leather jeans" as you'll have guys following you around the store!)

Also, the leather jackets have sleeves that are cut "long" so they don't ride up your forearms when holding the bars.

The HD website shows 3 styles of jeans and none are offered in inseams >32".

Old 09-14-2021, 04:42 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
I'm also tall and slim. I've worn mens Lee jeans all of my life because women's jeans did not fit my length.

About 15 years ago my hub convinced me to spend the money for 36 length London jeans at Victoria's Secret. I'm happy to say that I've hoarded some when they had a sale and a good thing because the company went out of business.

I don't need pants yet but will eventually. I occasionally look for 36" length but have not found it yet. If any of you tall and slim women find a brand send me a message if you remember. I don't want slim leg. I don't even want boot cut, I like a wider leg if possible but will settle for boot cut if I have to. I like some stretch in them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Sorry to say that's a bust for me anyway.

The only jeans I like are $300. They have boyfriend baggy jeans which I don't wear for $60. Nothing comes in lengths. None of the legs are even boot cut like they sold many years ago when I did ride. They look like a tight boot cut. Definitely not the usual boot cut.

Harley Davidson women's pants

Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm glad you petite people have a solution. Those of us with 34"-36" inseams get stuck with high water pants. I can sew but not well enough to buy men's jeans and alter the waist, seat, hips, pockets, zipper placement, and leg width just so I can get an adequate leg length. And don't get me started about our jeans costing 50% than men's jeans when we get 5% of the size choices.

Lands End has severely limited the number of styles that they will hem. I don't think any of their jeans offer that option anymore.

Think about that for a minute. For each waist measurement, women can have 15 different hip measurements. Are we offered pants that reflect that? No. If your waist is 26", somebody has decided your hips are 34", so that's what's on the rack, unless you can find a style that comes in slim, regular, curvy, etc.

Has anyone ordered from one of the made-to-fit companies where you send in your measurements and they make your pants? How did they come out? And how much did you pay?
Another tall person here. Men's pants don't fit me very well so that's not an option. Most of my pants have come from online purchases - JC Penney used to carry a lot of talls, especially in the dressier pants department. A few other retailers like LL Bean and Woman Within (smallest size is 12 though) have longer "tall" lengths.

I wasn't aware of the made to order pants - I would think that would be expensive.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:31 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Write them (the brand you prefer) and ask. I see a huge market being untapped for us ladies.

I've been a Lee jeans gal . Still buy the jeans in the young men's department. I don't like ' tight' jeans, so the guy sizes work .

Write them though.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post

Old Navy online has options for tall, regular and petite. So does Dillard's and J.C. Penney's.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:59 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
They do. They have petite, regular, and long. Other brands might call them short, medium, and tall. Still others actually have the inch measurements, just like men's.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:10 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Men's pants are also designed to be easier to alter the waist.
I suspect designers have discovered that men insist on easy options, while women will buy whatever is in style.

I'm very tall; women's trousers are always too short for me. I have to make my own or buy men's pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty