Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:49 AM

7,684 posts, read 1,277,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I never understood the fondness for control top pantyhose (or control top anything). All that does for me is push whatever fat I have up to my midsection and give me a roll around my waist. Very unattractive & uncomfortable. But I guess with a pear shape, the problem areas are below the waist, maybe, so those women don't get a roll around their waist?
In my younger years that would be the case, but sadly post-menopausal "middle age spread" has kicked in big time with me. Think: Venus of Willendorf....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 05:46 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,886,246 times
I had a special event to attend, so I broke down and bought my first pair of pantyhose in at least 10 years...probably 15.

It's going to be another 10 years before I wear another pair.

I've put on some pounds (OK, ok, more than "some") because of sitting around for two years, eating anything I could find and watching TV. I bought some "plus sized" ones, but it still felt like I had a twenty-pound Anaconda wrapped around my lower body, trying to drag me down to the ground so I could be consumed.

Men complain about wearing ties.....they should try wearing ill-fitting panty hose for hours.

Bah, back to the pasty legs.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:04 PM

15,619 posts, read 15,754,668 times
Since it's for an event, I'd go to a store, not online, preferably one where you can get advice, look at the colors in person, AND try it out a week in advance for a trial run, which gives you time to try a different size or color if necessary.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:41 PM

15,163 posts, read 27,891,564 times
Look and read the height/weight charts on the package and don't try to cram yourself into a size that you used to wear even though you know you aren't that size anymore.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:45 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,685,612 times
I usually buy L'eggs at the drugstore, good quality for a good price. Sheer black is my favorite. There are other shades too.

I didn't wear control top for the reasons stated above but I do wear shape wear, it's comfortable and helps give a slimmer trimmer silhouette.

Have fun at the wedding! I love weddings.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 AM

6,927 posts, read 3,980,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Hi Folks,

My nephew/godchild is getting married in May. It's been 5 years since I've had to formally dress up (it was for his younger brother's wedding as a matter of fact) Since then I've retired and turned 70. My body and face have changed a bit. The pudge around the middle is pudgier than ever.

I purchased a dress that covers a multitude of sins so I'm all set in that regard. Because of scarring on my legs I really need to wear pantyhose.

What's the latest in control top pantyhose? Many moons ago I used to get JC Penney Brand pantyhose with an attach control top brief that I really liked but it's no longer available. I'm a hair over 5 ft, around 170 lbs, and short-waisted with thunder thighs. Think: Neolithic fertility goddess....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I love Just My Size.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:23 AM

8,812 posts, read 5,122,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Hi Folks,

My nephew/godchild is getting married in May. It's been 5 years since I've had to formally dress up (it was for his younger brother's wedding as a matter of fact) Since then I've retired and turned 70. My body and face have changed a bit. The pudge around the middle is pudgier than ever.

I purchased a dress that covers a multitude of sins so I'm all set in that regard. Because of scarring on my legs I really need to wear pantyhose.

What's the latest in control top pantyhose? Many moons ago I used to get JC Penney Brand pantyhose with an attach control top brief that I really liked but it's no longer available. I'm a hair over 5 ft, around 170 lbs, and short-waisted with thunder thighs. Think: Neolithic fertility goddess....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Wear pants, with a pretty tunic.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:02 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,277,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Wear pants, with a pretty tunic.
I'm saving that option for when I turn 80 (God willing....)

Seriously, since I'm his godmother I may have a small function in the ceremony so I would like to look a little more formal. Since I'm short (just a hair over 5 ft these days) it's extraordinarily difficult to find pants/tunics that don't look like they are wearing me. Inventory is extremely limited for a size 14 WP. In addition, can't even go the high heel route (or the flat route for that matter!) because I wouldn't last 10 minutes in anything over 2 inches. I also wear a unicorn size shoe (6.5W) I've ordered 3 pairs of shoes from DSW costing over $200--pray that one of them will work for me......

I'm glad I purchase the dresses when I did (I bought 2 of the same style but different colors because I couldn't decide) I went shopping at the mall on Monday. The dresses at both Macy's and JC Penney's are absolutely horrible! Such insipid prints and matronly colors/styles! Nothing worthy of THIS fertility goddess!! Someone suggested Dillard's but the mall was closing by the time I thought to check Dillard's.

Attached are photos of the two dresses I purchased on Amazon (the dresses come just below the knee on me) They're identical in style except for the embellishments. I've decided to wear the blue one as that's closest to my nephew's favorite color and is in line with the wedding colors (jewel tones of green, gold, turquoise) I did not like the pearl embellishment on it so I took it off and am currently looking for something to replace it (having no luck there) I tried both on this week and I must have gained weight in my boobs because both dresses are a tad tight in that area. Also, after taking off the pearls I notice that the neckline is uneven so I guess I'll be making a trip to the seamstress.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantyhose 2022-screenshot-2022-02-24-5.21.05-pm.png   Pantyhose 2022-coral-dress.jpg  

Old 03-13-2022, 12:26 PM

15,163 posts, read 27,891,564 times
Aren't there plus-size stores for woman? Maybe they carry pantyhose as well.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
...back in the day I had at least a half dozen pairs in various shades of Hanes - I usually picked the style that was next to the sheerest - seems they had several styles to pick from from "daytime" to "special occasion supersheer". Leggs always looked way too dark for me unless I need black! Picture Cate Blanchett fair complexion with a dark tan...ugh. My favorite shades were called "barely there" and "little color" but it saved me from looking like a corpse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty