Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 08:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 11,288,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
the short yet baggy prairie dresses. How did they even become popular? It's like five bad design ideas rolled into one garment.
Designers are out of ideas.

I'm a classic girl myself. Always loved what Jackie Kennedy wore not that I wear clothes from that time.
She never looked bad in the clothes; always fit well.

I actually don't like all the large (really large) floral patterns on older people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 04:47 AM

50,500 posts, read 64,412,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I know an older woman who put a pink streak in her silver hair. She did it to commemorate beating breast cancer.
Many of us who lost our hair due to chemotherapy, have the same urge to do something a bit crazy when the hair grows back. It’s kind of a celebration of having hair again and a desire to pay attention to it rather than take it for granted.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:46 AM

9,771 posts, read 14,341,793 times
Quote:
I know an older woman who put a pink streak in her silver hair. She did it to commemorate beating breast cancer.
Bless her heart! That's a totally different reason, and I applaud her!
It's the older, healthy, women who crave attention with rainbow hair colors that's strange. But, they sure get the attention!

Old 08-22-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It comes back to the same basic question I pose with women wearing makeup... Who are you really wearing it for? Unless you're looking in a mirror, you can't see yourself, so you must be wearing it for the benefit of those who CAN see you. And to say you wear it in order to "feel better about" yourself, that's actually a circular argument. You feel better about yourself because you believe you LOOK better to, again, those who can see you and therefore they judge you more favorably, and you enjoy their acceptance. So it's actually for others. Same with the hair; if it's a pixie cut, you can't see it unless you're looking in a mirror. The hair dye, I tend to think, is for attention or at least to tell the world, "I'm a badass, edgy old crone!" Which is fine, to each her own, but own it.
This is such a great post, and sums up what some women will do for attention. Bravo!

Old 08-22-2022, 05:56 AM

88,917 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Bless her heart! That's a totally different reason, and I applaud her!
It's the older, healthy, women who crave attention with rainbow hair colors that's strange. But, they sure get the attention!
But once everybody starts doing something, it is no longer unique or crazy.

It can also be location. If an older woman dyes her hair pink in West Bumstead, Nebraska, the neighbors may wring their hands and gossip, but if she does it in Manhattan, no one will really notice.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
This is such a great post, and sums up what some women will do for attention. Bravo!
Could also be that older women are feeling invisible and doing something different makes them feel less so.

I rather enjoy the cloak of invisibility brought by age, although having been a woman who was always stared at because of height, and that hasn't gone away, it isn't total. If you're going to wear that inane grin on your face and think you're hilarious and original by calling me Amazon, I might as well be an Amazon with green hair, no?

But I will try the invisibility thing a little longer for now.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Could also be that older women are feeling invisible and doing something different makes them feel less so.
It could be, but, to each, his/her own.

And about location....Yes, that also has something to do with trends. Where I live, New York styles/trends aren't seen anywhere.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:47 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But once everybody starts doing something, it is no longer unique or crazy.
So true; tattoos used to be so rare and aberrant, even on men, that they were at one time considered a sign of sociopathy. Now if you're under a certain age, you're an oddball if you DON'T have at least one.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:20 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,453,364 times
Quote:
Super-long eyelash extensions. I don't get it. The other day, my husband and I were watching the news, and one of the reporters was in the field, reporting on a local event. Because the sun was high, the shadows from her eyelashes extended all the way down her cheeks. It was terribly unflattering. I kept thinking, why doesn't anybody tell her?
I don't tell them,I just snicker;

Old 08-22-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So true; tattoos used to be so rare and aberrant, even on men, that they were at one time considered a sign of sociopathy. Now if you're under a certain age, you're an oddball if you DON'T have at least one.
I am over a certain age, and I have one. Just one.

But still people get funny about them. The first Thanksgiving after I got the tattoo, one sister asked to see it, so I pulled up my sleeve (it is on the upper right arm) and showed her. My younger sister at whose home we were, looked ANGRY for some reason, and said, "I don't know WHY you would do something like that" and went stomping out of her own kitchen over it. First of all, she knew exactly why I got the tattoo, and secondly, I didn't do anything to HER by getting a tattoo. Between that and the constant mockery and jokes about killing animals because I was eating vegetarian at the time, it was the last Thanksgiving I ever spent with my family. 2016.

If you're going to alienate your family members over what they wear or their hair or skin choices, the problem is not them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty