Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:31 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,259,406 times

Advertisements

Most of the facial hair I see on TV and around town looks more like the man forgot to shave for a few days- scrubby and grungy. The faces are dark with shadows. I must be too old to appreciate that "look". Fortunately, none of that in my family.

OTOH, women are supposed to be clean shaven. Ouch. Who started that? I think the hair is on the wrong people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 03:23 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
I’ve had facial hair for over 30 years- pretty much when I exited service. The one time I shaved it all my children (younger at the time) freaked out- it wasn’t Dad.

So there- I have it for my family.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
My dad has had a beard for over 50 years. But he doesn't have the homeless beard look going on. He gets it trimmed regularly just like a haircut. There are definitely different looks to beards today. There's the 3 days stubble, been living on the mountains for decades look, homeless with leaves stuck in it look, and then there's the guys who actually have some routine maintenance like an oil change every 5000 miles.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Beards are vermin farms. You're better off licking your dog than having a beard.

https://www.livescience.com/65293-be...per-germy.html
Vermin farm? I've never seen a mouse pop out of my dad's beard. I'll have to ask him what he's been hiding in there all these years.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:15 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,965,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I haven't been clean shaven in many years. I prefer to have two or three days of growth.
Same with me.

I have gradually moved in that direction. For years, decades even, I shaved 7 days per week.

Then I stopped shaving on weekends 10-15 years ago. A few years later, I cut back to 3x per week when I was working, and then cut back to 2x per week.

I liked the way it looked better with 2-3 days of stubble, so I got a trimmer and kept a layer of stubble even after I shaved. I haven't shaved all the way down to the skin in a couple of years.

Over the last few decades, beards have become much more acceptable in business settings. Beards used to be unheard of in corporate settings, even when mustaches were ok. But now many men in corporate jobs have beards.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:09 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Same with me.

I have gradually moved in that direction. For years, decades even, I shaved 7 days per week.

Then I stopped shaving on weekends 10-15 years ago. A few years later, I cut back to 3x per week when I was working, and then cut back to 2x per week.

I liked the way it looked better with 2-3 days of stubble, so I got a trimmer and kept a layer of stubble even after I shaved. I haven't shaved all the way down to the skin in a couple of years.

Over the last few decades, beards have become much more acceptable in business settings. Beards used to be unheard of in corporate settings, even when mustaches were ok. But now many men in corporate jobs have beards.
Being retired, I don't have to be concerned with that.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,965,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Being retired, I don't have to be concerned with that.
Same for me now. But I went for the light stubble while I was still working.

I don't want a beard, because I think dark beards look best, and my hair isn't dark anymore. But the hair appears darker when it's just stubble. So for me, stubble is best.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:19 PM

20,737 posts, read 4,482,752 times
Well for me it's for laziness/health/seasonal reasons.

6+ yrs ago I decided I didn't feel like shaving. So I let my beard just grow out all fall/winter/early spring. I noticed that year I didn't get sick once. Sure a stuffy nose, mild cough a couple times. But nothing really major flu/flu like. So I decided I would let my beard grow during the cold months from then on. I haven't had a "major cold" since.
When I do shave for the warmer weather, I shave my head to.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Beards have been big for some time. I've grown one several times since about 2019. I have mine styled. The issue I have is when it feels uneven and I trim it back and gets further uneven or I grab the wrong trim guard and it cuts too close.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,211,885 times
Shadow beards, beards down the neck & shaved heads have turned me str8.

I guess there is a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty